Why tune out air/egr

This is a discussion on Why tune out air/egr within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just curious im gonna get a tune from LSX and was wondering all i have is a hooker muffler, exhuast ...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Why tune out air/egr

Just curious im gonna get a tune from LSX and was wondering all i have is a hooker muffler, exhuast cut out, slp lid, tb bypass, 160 thermo, 4.10's, my question is why delete air and egr is it worth deleting them even if i have the stock headers with the stock ypipe in other words what are the benefits of deleting them. I am gonna get a tune regardless just trying to figure out should i just go ahead and delete air and egr as well.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Weight delete, a tiny bit of power from no EGR, and a lot better looking with out.
    01 dont have egr tho... correct?

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

2001 shouldn't have egr, only 98-00 years. Removing the air system will clean up your engine bay and make things much eaiser to get to. The air will have to be tuned out so you don't get a SES light. That air crap isn't good unless you live in a place where it gets real cold like Alaska. I live in Colorado and have no issues without the air system.
    2010 Camaro
    2006 GTO, LS2, 1 of 475
    2009 Chevy Silverado

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you plan on doing headers without cats at some point? If not then just leave the a.i.r. system alone but if you think you'll be doing headers without cats at some point then go a head and have it removed. I won't hurt to have it removed anyhow even if you keep everything.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well i might just remove cats and thats about it, doing headers is not gonna be for a long time. Ill just have him tune out the Air and 02's and the rest ill leave up to him for tuning the car to get the most power out of it, i have to get a tune anyway mainly because im going with 4.10's need my speedo adjusted, cags delete will be nice and picking up a few ponies wont hurt either. Ill get the tune from LSX next week or the week after and monday i should be installing my gears.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a plan. Good luck.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Thanks Orion for the help

Bright Red
    2000 Camaro

Can EVAP be tuned out/ turned off? The system was messed with before I bought my car and I just dont care to replace everything missing.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

that's a loaded question; whats actually wrong with it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    that's a loaded question; whats actually wrong with it?
    I think he was actually wondering why someone would do it as it's a pretty popular thing to do. I have mine removed but hind sight being 20/20 I'm not sure if I would do it now. The only gains I could see from doing it is appearance under the hood, there's very very little to be gained performance wise from it IMO. You could trim the EGR sticking down into the intake and get the same gains, if there are any, and not have to deal with the timing tables. Hptuners has made that a lot easier than when I did it, there wasn't an egr correction table in edit so I had to log and do it by hand.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I think he was actually wondering why someone would do it as it's a pretty popular thing to do. I have mine removed but hind sight being 20/20 I'm not sure if I would do it now. The only gains I could see from doing it is appearance under the hood, there's very very little to be gained performance wise from it IMO. You could trim the EGR sticking down into the intake and get the same gains, if there are any, and not have to deal with the timing tables. Hptuners has made that a lot easier than when I did it, there wasn't an egr correction table in edit so I had to log and do it by hand.

No I was talking about this guy (below)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ssturd View Post
    Can EVAP be tuned out/ turned off? The system was messed with before I bought my car and I just dont care to replace everything missing.

What is actually wrong with it; there is more than one way that it can be 'messed up'...

Bright Red
    2000 Camaro

The solenoid is missing along with some of the hoses under the hood. Thats all that I can see but there may be more. I mostly just want my SES light out.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ssturd View Post
    The solenoid is missing along with some of the hoses under the hood. Thats all that I can see but there may be more. I mostly just want my SES light out.
    I would fix the EVAP system and leave it at that. A lot of people don't realize what EVAP actually does, they just group it with the useless AIR/EGR emissions bullshit, which isn't accurate.

The truth is that EVAP saves you a lot of money by recapturing fuel vapors that would otherwise be released though a vented gas cap. I forget the exact number, but a properly functioning EVAP system will save you hundreds of dollars in fuel cost over the life of the vehicle vs. a vented system like the old cars had.

EVAP prevents hydrocarbons vapors from entering the air and it keeps the gas in your tank where it belongs...win win situation for the environment and for your wallet.

Thread Information