Thread: Why now

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Why now

Well recently my car backfires, usually more when its cold and low rpms shifting going from gear to gear normal driving. It use to backfire a bit after WOT runs but not while driving slow in between shifts. Last 5-6 times of driving its been doing this alot lately with nothing done or changed to the car. It idles perfect, picks up revs quick and pulls good up top. The MAF has been cleaned and other then it backfiring it runs just fine. My only guess is lately the weather has been cold, 160 Thermo and the tune for the fans to come on sooner may cause the car to run rich and maybe thats why it backfires. As the car warms up it does get alot better and if driving long enough it wont backfire much at all. I contacted Steve just to get an idea as to why its doing it now but for now its the only explanation i have, Ohh and thanks Orion for the help the shorter title worked.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what you're describing sounds like exhaust popping and not a true back fire.

glad the shorter title helped you

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ya your right, it does pop my bad lol.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Popping is/can be temperature dependent on pipes, backfires are not the same. Which one is it doing? Do you have any codes? Are you getting any missing in the car?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

its popping in between shifts, there are no codes at all and the car runs good no issues. The weather was a bit cold havent driven it in the warm weather so the car warms up properly to operating temps. Could be it, ill drive it again this weekend and see what it does, ill be more specific this time and see whats going on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it really sounds like you're just describing the exhaust pop. Common and harmless. It comes with free flowing exhaust.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

its just weird because i drove on my same setup for a while and had no issues and all of the sudden its popping with the same setup. I think its just the cold weather maybe and once i drive it this weekend im hoping it wont be as bad since the weather is getting better.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Well test drove it yesterday and it doesnt pop during slow shifts like normal driving but after i go WOT and go from 3rd to 4th gear it will pop between shifting. Not always but sometimes not sure whats going on, i dont like abusing the car so i only did 2 runs like that at wot 3rd to 4th. Ill try it again sometime this weeks on a couple of runs and see if it does it again.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

ya its official it will only pop now wether its hot or cold when im at WOT going from 3rd to 4th gear in between shifts it will pop from the exhuast. I just cant figure it out at all never had this happen before.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check for a leak somewhere. Check around all your clamps for black soot.

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

IDK how loud yours is, but mine does this sometimes too. Mines not that loud, but I bet If I had a nice exhaust you'd hear it pretty good. I'm 100% stock and I can get it to pop pretty much on command if I want too. It wont pop with reg shifts or WOT runs, but if I step on it like maybe 3/4 throttle and let off and shift quickly at like around 2700-3200 rpm I can almost always get a double pop in the exhaust. I think it sounds bad ass, at least from the interior lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Mine used to pop. It only seemed to do it during cold weather, although this winter it was minimal. I can't ever recall it popping during the summer.

Thread Information