SOM
    1998 Trans Am

whats the diff with a full dyno tune and a street tune?

Ya what the title says. Thanks.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

a regular street tune will cost u half of what a good dyno tune will. Basically this is only for bolt ons. Headers, lid, intake, exhaust etc... This is also called a "bolt on" tune and can be done pretty quickley if the tuner knows his shit. (usually in an hour or two) A dyno tune will require more in depth tuning, becasue your internals have been changed. Your fuel maps, curves etc... have to be changed. A dyno tune is needed after heads and cam

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

ok so I should probly get the street tune, I hope to be getting LT headers and new plugs and wires this xmas. Already have the 3" cutout, SLP lid, Ram air air box, ws6 hood and 3.73 gear.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    a regular street tune will cost u half of what a good dyno tune will. Basically this is only for bolt ons. Headers, lid, intake, exhaust etc... This is also called a "bolt on" tune and can be done pretty quickley if the tuner knows his shit. (usually in an hour or two) A dyno tune will require more in depth tuning, becasue your internals have been changed. Your fuel maps, curves etc... have to be changed. A dyno tune is needed after heads and cam
    Sorry but I'm gonna argue the bolt-on tune part a little. A Dyno tune is just that. Tuning while on a dyno. A street tune is tuning in the cars actual environment, on the street in actual driving conditions rather than just pulls through one gear on a dyno. In my opinion a street tune is better because you can actually tune for the type of driving you do along with those times when your really beating on it. I found it easier for the tuner to adjust knock retard when your on the street going balls out from a stop to triple digit speeds rather than on a dyno.
    Oh and I'm cammed as well with speed density tune and I've always had a street tune done over dyno tune
    But everyone has there opinions.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    Sorry but I'm gonna argue the bolt-on tune part a little. A Dyno tune is just that. Tuning while on a dyno. A street tune is tuning in the cars actual environment, on the street in actual driving conditions rather than just pulls through one gear on a dyno. In my opinion a street tune is better because you can actually tune for the type of driving you do along with those times when your really beating on it. I found it easier for the tuner to adjust knock retard when your on the street going balls out from a stop to triple digit speeds rather than on a dyno.
    Oh and I'm cammed as well with speed density tune and I've always had a street tune done over dyno tune
    But everyone has there opinions.

I agree as well,,,,,We have done some dyno tuning,,,,both with an engine dyno (water brake) and a chassis dyno,,,,,but none of them can really simulate real world driving perfectly. Even after the dyno tunes we still had to go back and play with the fuel curve once the car was on the street to make it completely happy.

Track times verified this as well,,,,even after a dyno tune we still found 3 mph at the track playing with the fuel curve a little here and there.

Some tuners will throw in a tune for you,,,that they have used on other cars with similar bolt ons and modifications,,,and they flash your computer and your on your way in just a few minutes. This may work okay, but in my opinion a "street tune" as everyone is calling it,,,,is more of a result of actually driving the car in real world conditions while scanning and logging data,,,,making the necessary fuel and timing changes etc....this can take several days depending on your time to spend on the car,,,and will definately go through several tanks of gas,,,but it works excellent. I don't know of any shops that would actually take that kind of time to tune a car.
    I then always take the car to the track to verify, and keep an accurate log of my changes and results. Not to mention this is much more fun than dyno tuning anyway

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

so find a shop that does bolt-on tunes...

Thread Information