Purple
    1940 Ford

What tuners are good for engine swaps/multi use?

I did some research, but I'm kinda lost. My hot rod shop sometimes swaps LS1 drivetrains into early rods and have been sending the computers out to get reprogrammed to run in the old cars. I've been thinking of trying to do this in-house instead, but need some advice to make a decision. I mostly just need to get them programmed to run without the emissions, vats, etc. How big is the learning curve to do that and what software would be good for multiple vehicle use?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there are 2 major ones off the top of my head that fit what you're looking for efilive and hptuners. The learning curve for any editor is kinda steep but it's possible. There's also support at both websites with people that are usually very helpful. Both offer unlimited packages where you can tune an unlimited number of vehicles as long as they're supported vehicles.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

I think the consensus is that HPTuners is more consumer based and user friendly where EFILive is more technical and takes a bit longer to learn. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that, I would buy another copy of HPTuners Pro tomorrow if I had to. It has done everything I've needed and has a slick interface to boot.

-Eagle

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I did some research, but I'm kinda lost. My hot rod shop sometimes swaps LS1 drivetrains into early rods and have been sending the computers out to get reprogrammed to run in the old cars. I've been thinking of trying to do this in-house instead, but need some advice to make a decision. I mostly just need to get them programmed to run without the emissions, vats, etc. How big is the learning curve to do that and what software would be good for multiple vehicle use?
    F.A.S.T. has a nice set up for a stand alone management.
    http://www.fuelairspark.com/Products...3/TEST/EFI.asp

Sending them out can get you close but NOT the best tune. Due to the fact that EVERY car is different. Specially on resto mods due to variances.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

HP Tuners should definitely do the trick, we also a huge line of supported vehicles & pcm's from GM & Ford.

Also if you source specific year/model pcm's to do your swaps with ie all your swaps are from donor 02 Corvette's you could license the year/model corvette license & do swaps without needing to spend another dime over the initial cost.

We also offer tunershop packages & cover pretty much all GM vehicles from 97 on up to 08's.

If you have any questions about our product feel free to email us at sales at hptuners.com with any questions.

-Bill
    Support for HPTuners

Purple
    1940 Ford

I understand it takes awhile to learn to make the changes required for engine mods, but I'd like to know if it's a simple "click of the mouse" to turn off the things that aren't required in a retro-fit situation. In other words, if I'm not concerned with performance and only want to make the engine start and run in another (older) car without worrying about setting codes, is that easy to do?

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

Most of the stuff you are looking to do is very simple to do with hp turners set-up. I run a hot rod shop also and i steer everyone in their direction.VAts,
    2nd o2,air and egr are all easy to delete.Take sometime to post topic about removing that stuff on ls1tech.com and after a couple of anwsers you will see how easy it is.I started with never seeing a computer, too being on the
    1st waiting list waiting for ls1 edit to come out 3-or-4 years ago and with in a couple of month had tuned most of my buddys cars.
    Good luck

Thread Information