Thread: What is a tune

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

What is a tune

Ok I read a lot of threads and all the time you talk about "tune"

What does it consist of? What do they do? Would I benifit from a tune I only have a lid KN and cat back. WoulD a hand held programmer help me I was told that they weren't good before so I would appreciate some insight.

Thanks again people

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

alright, basically a tune is someone going into the computer program in the car and configuring it to get the best performance for your mods. When it comes to the age old question, should I or shouldn't I... You should, even if your mods are a lid and catback, you'll see some gains. Our cars come from the factory conformed to certain specifications and limit the performance. Handhelds don't help as much, and personally I think are a waist of time. Hope this helps a little

Black

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    alright, basically a tune is someone going into the computer program in the car and configuring it to get the best performance for your mods. When it comes to the age old question, should I or shouldn't I... You should, even if your mods are a lid and catback, you'll see some gains. Our cars come from the factory conformed to certain specifications and limit the performance. Handhelds don't help as much, and personally I think are a waist of time. Hope this helps a little
    How is this done. I'm sure nobody does that around here.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

It's usually done with a tuning program run through a laptop or desktop. A dyno tune consists of a shop putting your car on a dyno and using a tuning program while monitoring the progression via the dyno results.

Black

Ok it is very clear now. I'm going to check into it. If this is going to increase my performance it is well worth it.

hugger orange

you can checkout hptuners.com and look around.
    Frost on here (Steve) from lsxtune.com does mail order tuning.....you unplug and boxup your car's computer, mail it to him, then he tunes it for your mods and mails it back to you.

what part of NB are you in? my mother's side is fron Edmonston NB and we have a house up on green river

red
    2000 camaro ss

i know frost has a good rep, and i'm sure he's a good tuner, but i've had nothin but bad experiences with any tune that wasn't done in front of me on a dyno.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Well when i get my tune back ill keep you guys posted on how the car has responded to the tune. I sent it out the Steve at LSx either way ill post back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

for what it's worth I saw frost pretty much nail a cars heads/cam idle tune before the install was finished. There was a video of it on here. He wrote the tune and flashed it, they did the install and started it, and the car idled great. That's pretty good.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    for what it's worth I saw frost pretty much nail a cars heads/cam idle tune before the install was finished. There was a video of it on here. He wrote the tune and flashed it, they did the install and started it, and the car idled great. That's pretty good.
    definately is good.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Perfect if you are going from a pretty stock 346 to a 408 or something, without Frost you couldn't even start your car for the break-in

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

honestly even if you gain 8-10rwhp from a mail order tune for 125.00 i think its worth it. We spend soo much money on parts that hardly matter for our cars as far as power is concerned, getting rid of your Cags,fans turn on sooner and much more that make your car run better its not just all about power. Like Smooth bellow, Spacer, Underdrive Pulley and so on, getting a tune is really worth it to me and ive had all my cars tuned. I think and hope with the mods i have getting the tune on top of it i can push about 310rwhp and ill be happy with that for a while till i get my nitrous set up.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    honestly even if you gain 8-10rwhp from a mail order tune for 125.00 i think its worth it. We spend soo much money on parts that hardly matter for our cars as far as power is concerned, getting rid of your Cags,fans turn on sooner and much more that make your car run better its not just all about power. Like Smooth bellow, Spacer, Underdrive Pulley and so on, getting a tune is really worth it to me and ive had all my cars tuned. I think and hope with the mods i have getting the tune on top of it i can push about 310rwhp and ill be happy with that for a while till i get my nitrous set up.
    Where would I get a mail order tune?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I went with a LSx tune you can just go to his web http://www.lsxtune.com/

Laser Blue Metallic
    2006 Monte Carlo SS

if that's all you have for mods, you can get a handheld such as the Diablosport Predator and dial in your car with that...

you'll gain increased throttle reponse, quicker accleration, stronger/harder pull, and better mileage...

I can even do custom tunes for ya that will gain you even more...
    06MonteSS
    2006 Monte Carlo SS -- CAI, Poly mounts, STB's,
    Flowmaster Super 40's, Custom DiabLew Tune!
    Email: 06MonteSS@diablewtune.com

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    if that's all you have for mods, you can get a handheld such as the Diablosport Predator and dial in your car with that...

you'll gain increased throttle reponse, quicker accleration, stronger/harder pull, and better mileage...

I can even do custom tunes for ya that will gain you even more...
    don't wanna flame you or anything like that, but hand helds really aren't worth it in my opinion.

hugger orange

don't wanna flame you or anything like that, but hand helds really aren't worth it in my opinion.
    I agree. I have one laying on the shelf in the garage. about the only thing I use it for is checking and clearing codes.
    my opinion is get it tuned by a pro, or buy a good program for your laptop like hptuners

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

i used a hand held on my 95 A4 Z28 and it was disaster after using the option tuning my shift points and trying to drive the car for some reason in D the car would go reverse momentarily, not to mention i felt Zero difference in performance. Just let Frost tune it for you for 125.00 cheaper then hand helds and call it a day. Whatever it is he will tune it right and youll get the best power out of your car especially compared to hand held tuners. Ive had nothing but good experiences with mail order tuning and ive had 5 camaro's.

Laser Blue Metallic
    2006 Monte Carlo SS

yup, np man... as you said, that's your opinion... and a custom dyno tune will ALWAYS beat a handheld/mail-order canned tune, no question...

but again, if that's all he has for mods to the car, that'll be the best bang for the buck...

he can adjust/tweak everything he needs to with a handheld Predator...

and if/when the time comes where he adds on more upgrades, he can be given a custom tune for 'em.... will still be runnin' top-notch...

Thread Information