Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

What should I expect from a dyno tune? Questions.

I would like to know more about the effects a dyno tune has on your car.
    Any help would be great.

1. I have an auto. So do they change shift points?
    2. How will it effect my gas mileage?
    3. I hear 40hp gain alot, but is that with headers? or stock?
    4. Could it hurt my car in the long run.
    5. What gains did you get at the dragstrip after your dyno tune?
    6. Most important. Does it feal alot faster.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I have read alot on the subject and never had any body go into great detail.

Any answers would be great. Thanks.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

subscribed. I have been wondering the same

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I understand the process. I just want to know about some peoples personl experiences with it.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I understand the process. I just want to know about some peoples personl experiences with it.
    the person who is gonna tune my car says that because my car is tuned to have more power loss in the ports than my hand polished ones do and the fact I have long tube headers will make me get huge gains. he thinks he can get 50hp out of it but i don't believe him.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    list your mods and trans types
    94 z28. stage2 4l60e
    cai
    smooth elbow
    ported tb50mm with custom air foil
    lt headers with ory and lm1 exhaust
    slightly ported heads and intake manifold. (just removed all factory imperfections and then ported all the ports to be even 181cc by roberts and sons. a big noticable gain from that)
    255 pump

you think I'll get a big gain from a tune

I'm sure answers are going to vary alot depending on the car in question.

I've never had a dyno tune performed and in fact,,,never had a tuner touch the car. I simply bought tuning software and dug into it myself.

With simple changes to the VE tables and MAF table, a little timing on an otherwise bone stock car I picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph.

Bone stock it went a best of 13.72 at 101.xx mph.

After I tuned it myself, just driving the car on the street and using fuel trims,,,,nothing extravigant here......the car responded with consistent 13.40's with no less than 3 13.44 passes in a row,,,,,all at 104 mph.

I'm pretty happy with that not to mention the learning experience of tuning with a laptop. I'm positive there is even more in the car since I haven't messed with PE tables as all,,,,,,and factory tables seem to ask for a very rich 11.5 ratio at WOT.

Leaning this out would yield even more gains,,,,but wide band is necessary here to dial in correctly. Hope that helps some.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

1. Its a tune specific to your car, they can change shift points if you want them changed. I left my points the same but made the shifts as firm and as quick as i could.
    2. Gas mileage shouldnt change all that much if any, your foot will dictate that though.
    3.Now mind you, i only had a partial tune(no fuel or spark tuning) where they fixed my air/fuel and gave me the factory tune from an 02 TA but i picked up 23hp and 20tq and thats just with a reflash and 3 pulls. He says with a real custom tune he could pull 20 more hp and tq. Mods in sig. Ill be getting the rest of my tune this spring
    4. It wont hurt in the long run at all, unless you sell the car and the tuner locks the computer so no one else can touch it... But thats another issue
    5. Havent been yet after the tune but i can guarantee 12s if i cut at least 1.9 60ft my next time out. I ran 13.1 witha 1.9 60 at 108 with no trans fluid and so many other things wrong..
    6.It most likely will but not always. My tuner has countless stories of people who wreck there cars on the way home cus they want to "feel" the power. He said i picked up all my power through the curve so i may not feel it but the car is definitely faster.

Hope that helps some and thats just all my opinion and experince with it
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    94 z28. stage2 4l60e
    cai
    smooth elbow
    ported tb50mm with custom air foil
    lt headers with ory and lm1 exhaust
    slightly ported heads and intake manifold. (just removed all factory imperfections and then ported all the ports to be even 181cc by roberts and sons. a big noticable gain from that)
    255 pump

you think I'll get a big gain from a tune
    If you get the 50 he says, it will be because something is wrong with the car when it came in, such as a TB that doesn't open fully... Hard to say the heads will be worth a big gain if the intake and cam are still stock, and autos dyno lower anyhow. Don't like predicting numbers but you should look for 10-15 if everything is as it should be when you take it in.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm sure answers are going to vary alot depending on the car in question.

I've never had a dyno tune performed and in fact,,,never had a tuner touch the car. I simply bought tuning software and dug into it myself.

With simple changes to the VE tables and MAF table, a little timing on an otherwise bone stock car I picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph.

Bone stock it went a best of 13.72 at 101.xx mph.

After I tuned it myself, just driving the car on the street and using fuel trims,,,,nothing extravigant here......the car responded with consistent 13.40's with no less than 3 13.44 passes in a row,,,,,all at 104 mph.

I'm pretty happy with that not to mention the learning experience of tuning with a laptop. I'm positive there is even more in the car since I haven't messed with PE tables as all,,,,,,and factory tables seem to ask for a very rich 11.5 ratio at WOT.

Leaning this out would yield even more gains,,,,but wide band is necessary here to dial in correctly. Hope that helps some.

Hey FB, email me a copy of your file this afternoon/evening and I will send you one back tonight when I get home to try out. (steve@lsxtune.com)

white
    94 camaro z28

If you get the 50 he says, it will be because something is wrong with the car when it came in, such as a TB that doesn't open fully... Hard to say the heads will be worth a big gain if the intake and cam are still stock, and autos dyno lower anyhow. Don't like predicting numbers but you should look for 10-15 if everything is as it should be when you take it in.
    well he did a basic tune for me today (didn't get too deep into it and he wants to research something about my heads because he is so accustomed to tuning mustangs as the shop normally specializes in ford) but he was able to get 31rwhp out of just adjusting it a little on the a/f mixture. he said all he has done so far it adjust it for the movement of the o2 sensors and one other thing. when he did the dyno it came out as 327rwhp baseline and then second pull it came out as 358rwhp. he said he wants to do more when he learns more about it. the guy is doing the work for free he just charged me for a new ecu that he could tune. technically my car is being tuned by a ford shop though. lol. the dude doing my tuning though is doing it because the car amazed him when I raced him. he said he could tell it needed to be tuned but that it was already one of the fastest lt1's he had seen that didn't have nitrous or a supercharger.

Hey FB, email me a copy of your file this afternoon/evening and I will send you one back tonight when I get home to try out. (steve@lsxtune.com)
    I can do that this evening,,,might be later around 8 pm or so,,,,okay with you??? I need my wife to load it to a thumb drive and transfer over to the desktop computer for an email I still need to learn how to do that little process,,,but once it's on the thumbdrive I can email it no problem.

Anyway,,,I can give ya some details in the email on a few things I've done as well. Thanks Frost.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I can do that this evening,,,might be later around 8 pm or so,,,,okay with you??? I need my wife to load it to a thumb drive and transfer over to the desktop computer for an email I still need to learn how to do that little process,,,but once it's on the thumbdrive I can email it no problem.

Anyway,,,I can give ya some details in the email on a few things I've done as well. Thanks Frost.
    No problems, that works, I won't even get home until a lil after 8.

I just sent it to ya. I think I was successfull

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I just sent it to ya. I think I was successfull
    Yeah I got it and sent one back.

Black
    2000 T/A

list your mods and trans types
    Hey Frost,
    2000 6spd
    long tubes w/high flow cats, magnaflow cat back, cold air

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by fbodynut View Post
    Hey Frost,
    2000 6spd
    long tubes w/high flow cats, magnaflow cat back, cold air
    15-20 on average if you have a stock file in your PCM is common with those mods.
    Last edited by Frost; 03-29-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Black
    2000 T/A

15-20 on average if you have a stock file in your PCM now is common with those mods.
    As far as I know, the computer has never been touched. I just sent ya a pm.

Black
    2000 T/A

Thanks for the info Frost.
    I will most likely be getting something set up with you in the near future

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information