Thread: VATS problem

Black
    02 Z28 M6

VATS problem

Here's the problem. VATS has shut off my fuel system. I had a shop run a check to be sure. Neither set of keys will work.

Now it's on the way to the dealer where I expect them to quote a ridiculous price of $500 dollars. They are not open until Monday so I thought I'd post here and see if someone can toss me a hail Mary pass. I read a tutorial on bypassing VATS but I'm not confident enough to try this. Plus I would have to do this in the freezing cold parking lot and do not have the tools

I also read the other VATs thread where someone posts this link:

http://allobd.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JET-14005

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about installation. I like this it looks pretty kewl. Does anyone know how difficult this is to install? I figure that if they do indeed quote me $500 I might as well take this route. I only say that because they quote $500 on pretty much everything I have ever asked. Any idea what this problem should cost to fix at a dealer?

I also found a site claiming to have a VATS bypass module. I won't post the link because I don't believe they are a sponsor. You can google "GM VATS Bypass Module For LS1 and LT1".

Has anyone ever heard of this module or knows if it works? If for $25.00 I can plug it into a cable under the hood and drive away that's the part I need. Has anyone ever heard of this? I've never seen it mentioned on here and the guy at the shop concurred that I'd likely be wasting my $25. This car sleeps in a garage or it's at the lot where I work under surveillance. I'm not really worried about theft I just want the car to work. I never liked the alarm anyways I could drop a damn boulder on the hood and it wouldn't go off. The first thing it has ever protected the car from is me driving it home last night.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I know this post is redundant and that you guys have answered these questions before.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-12-2009 at 08:15 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You have an 02?

More details... you say it shuts off your fuel... does this mean that the starter turns and the car runs for like 2-3 seconds and then shuts off? That is fuel shut off and can be disabled through tuning. If your starter is not turning over, then you need to measure the pellet in your key and replace with a fixed resistor... more info here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=VATS

I can disable it in your PCM (which is the portion that shuts off fuel after a few seconds) through the course of mail order tuning. If that is the ONLY change you want made, it could be done at a reduced rate such as $50 + S/H.

If you just want more info, post up

Black
    02 Z28 M6

It is not turning over at all. I believe the link you just posted is what I need. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-13-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I can disable it in your PCM (which is the portion that shuts off fuel after a few seconds) through the course of mail order tuning.

Frost: Did not know you could disable VATS during the tuning process. Is this something a lot of owners do? Running the bypass would not be a problem for me, but that fact that the system can crap out at any time may make it rather inconvenient. Do you recommend this?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

removing it from the PCM is typically done with swaps (they have no BCM) or race setups that eliminate the BCM. As long as the resistive value back to the BCM looks good though, it *should* pass the right credentials along to the PCM to keep you from having fuel-cut problems.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

I couldn't wait until the weekend to fix it. Either the tow truck guy or the first shop it was taken to stole my Kenshaw knife out of the car. That pissed me off and I just wanted the car back home safe. The lock on the blade is broken and it will open on its own. That's why I left it in the car. Unless you look inside the knife you can't tell. I hope the thief enjoys that hair trigger serrated switch blade in his pocket.

The dealership got me for $500 but I'm back on the road with a new ignition and two new keys.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-14-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Thread Information