Red
    1998 Trans Am

Question tuning??? maybe???

i have a 98 TA with cam,headers,3200 stall, and some other bolt ons. i took the car to a guy who said he knew how to tune the car, the reason i took the car in the first place is because the car was acting like it wanted to die when i cam to stops or on good hills. So he fixed that so the car is not acting like it wants to die. But now its running higher rpm's and the car doesn't want to stay in over drive. When you step on the brake it down shifts, at high or low speeds. And when your driving around town in speeds around in the teens to 35 or so. still wants to stay out of over drive. its just killing me gas wise... and just to say the car is auto transmission.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Are you sure it’s down shifting and not the torque converter unlocking. At speeds of 35mph or less the converter well remain unlocked. Did they dyno tune the car? To get the best tune you well need it to be dyno tuned by a shop that has done it before. When braking this also could be the TC unlocking and not down shifting. It sounds like the car still needs some more tuning, or the TC is having trouble locking up. Also did they delete the torque management from the ECU? With a higher stall converter deleting torque management is a highly recommended. For the higher RPMs this is a must when you install an after market cam. My SS idles at 975RPM.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Red
    1998 Trans Am

im not sure that its unlocking or not. and no the car has never been dyno before. i just got the car. so im trying to get everything tuned and in line. the car idles around 1000, to 1200 at dead stop. is TC traction control.. not sure about deleting the torque management
    from the ECU.. What is ECU.. just learning about all of this stuff thanks for the help.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Sorry TC is short for torque converter ECU engine control unit aka PCM aka your computer. For torque management any shop that really is into tuning LSX generation GM engines will do this as part of your basic tune. With your mods your car would really like to be dyno tuned. Its pricy but worth it. LS1Speed Inc. tuned my car when I put new heads on. With just the cam, headers, intake, 3200 stall the car ran okay but was fidgety it would surge and die on start up some times and just did not run right. I put on new port and polished LS6 heads and they dyno tuned the car and it now runs smooth like stock, but with a lot extra power.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

about how much did it run you to do the ls6 heads. and did you do the work your self. about what kind of horsepower are you pushing now.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

I had Ls1Speed Inc. in IL do the work. I can't remember the price for everything (parts, labor, dynotune) It also was awhile ago so the price has droped some since then. For power I put 383rwhp 370rwft/lbs to the wheels. Its a little lower end, but my SS has always dynoed low. Also the Patriot Performance stages 2 heads have worked great.
    Last edited by vetteemt; 06-28-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am

ya in looking into some heads just not sure what would be best for the car.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Patriot Performance stages 2 heads are one of the best price for the bang parts. Other heads well net you a little more power, for example 10-15 more rwhp, but also cost nearly twice the price. If you have the extra money for other heads do it, or save the money from the heads and spend it else where on the car suspension, wheels, rearend etc.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

I dont know if your solved your problem.. but a few weeks ago i took my EGR off of my 98 because i was chaning the passanger side header gasket, and i didnt re-seat the EGR o-ring back in right when i put the pipe back into the intake. When underload and driving it ran fine, but as soon as i came to a light in gear it would die, i'm assuming it was because i was leaking air around the o-ring. When i got to my friends i took it out saw that it had almost fallen into the intake. I reseated it on the egr pipe bolted it back together and not a problem since..

SO make sure you're not leaking anywhere.

*EDIT*
    on first read i missed the cam, so yea could be that.. i'm still stock on my internals...

Red
    1998 Trans Am

thanks looking at heads now.. think im going to go for the more power. if im going to go through the trouble..

ya .the problem is no more... i cleaned the carb. out nice and fine and now running like a top... you would be amazed the difference if you do..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by jesseheel View Post
    ya .the problem is no more... i cleaned the carb. out nice and fine and now running like a top... you would be amazed the difference if you do..

I'd be amazed if there are many other readers in the PCM tuning section running carbs...

Thread Information