Thread: Tuning help...

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Tuning help...

I bought a 01 TA awhile back it had a lot of work done to it. I got a hell of a deal and have had it for almost 2 years with no problems but I know somethings not right. Its not throwing any codes.

It has a big cam in it there no question of that, but i have limited knowledge of internal workings of the LS1.

It also has an exhaust on it, they took it to a true dual pipe setup looks to be 1.5 to 2 inch pipe however its also been lowered so the pipe wont fit over the back axle so both pipes were bent to go under on each side of the rear end and then back up out the bumper... it looks ok but i have to be real careful on bumps.

The O2 sensors aren't connected, the leads leading back to the computer have what look like a little black piece of plastic on it and my best guess is its a resister of some kind to supply a specific voltage drop.

So there could be any number of problems with this car its getting HORRIBLE gas mileage.

I live in Terre Haute, IN. Which is on the IN/IL border so Im looking for a good shop that might be able figure this thing out get it a good tune and maximise its potential. If anyone in the IN/IL area knows a good shop that would be great.

hugger orange

when you say the o2s, do you mean the rear o2s aren't hooked up, or do you mean all 4 aren't hooked up?
    sounds like someone probably unhooked the rear o2s and ran simulators, they just trick the computer into thinking you have cats and they are working properly

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTrouble View Post
    I bought a 01 TA awhile back it had a lot of work done to it. I got a hell of a deal and have had it for almost 2 years with no problems but I know somethings not right. Its not throwing any codes.

It has a big cam in it there no question of that, but i have limited knowledge of internal workings of the LS1.

It also has an exhaust on it, they took it to a true dual pipe setup looks to be 1.5 to 2 inch pipe however its also been lowered so the pipe wont fit over the back axle so both pipes were bent to go under on each side of the rear end and then back up out the bumper... it looks ok but i have to be real careful on bumps.

The O2 sensors aren't connected, the leads leading back to the computer have what look like a little black piece of plastic on it and my best guess is its a resister of some kind to supply a specific voltage drop.

So there could be any number of problems with this car its getting HORRIBLE gas mileage.

I live in Terre Haute, IN. Which is on the IN/IL border so Im looking for a good shop that might be able figure this thing out get it a good tune and maximise its potential. If anyone in the IN/IL area knows a good shop that would be great.
    everything you describe is fairly common. They run the exhaust under the axle do to space constraints above it and those black things in the rear O2 positions are O2 simulators. The only shop I know of out that way is Speed Inc. which is up by chicago. I'm sure there has to be someone in Indy. Lingenfelter is in Decatur I think but you'd pay through the nose there I'm sure. Maybe ask around locally for shops out that way. If they're running sims then I would question the quality of the tune. Those codes are normally removed with a tune so there's no need for sims.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Speed inc in Shaumburg. Not sure if I spelled the city right. Google it, it is there. Good place and they know there shit. I have been going there for the last eight years with no problems.

Thread Information