Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Tuning Factory Trans am

I noticed everyone tunes there car after they do work to it. Will it make a difference if i tune my car factory? i have a 2000 trans am. thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

depends on how far off it is.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    depends on how far off it is.
    I second that.

I have a basically stock '00 SS (Lid & Pulley) that I've been able to tune another 4 MPH out of just by working with the MAF and PE. It takes some trial and error, but it is a lot of fun. No different from the old days of turning wrenches...it's just fuel, air & spark...it's a lot cleaner, though!

Blog Entries

pewter
    2000 Trans Am

i was thinking though someone told me theres no difference between the motor of the trans am and corvette they only made the vett faster cause it was more expensive. and someone told me u can tune the trans am just how the vett is? any ideas?

There's always something to be had with tuning, just how much really depends on alot of things.
    If you have an automatic, alot of ET and MPH can be found just playing with shift points, line pressure, and torque management and never touch the engine. So there is alot to be found, playing with the fuel and spark tables can yield a little more as well. It's worth playing with in my opinion. Larry.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie311 View Post
    i was thinking though someone told me theres no difference between the motor of the trans am and corvette they only made the vett faster cause it was more expensive. and someone told me u can tune the trans am just how the vett is? any ideas?
    theres some truth to that, but there is more then tuning that makes a vette faster then a trans am...about 500lbs difference in some optioned out TA's...that in itself can be the difference between a 12.9 and a 13.4 et. Also vettes have much better weight distribution, slightly better exhaust from what I've been told, etc. So its definitly not all in the tuning...just some.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the factory tune is also pretty rich, so leaning it out will net you a bit more. Vettes do have a different tune..id assume its the ve, maf, and spark tables as well as the better flowing exhaust that add to the hp difference. If you have the tuning software, then go for it..practice now for later

I agree with above --the corvette may have the same engine & trans but the obvious reasons for it being faster are 1) less weight 2) way better exhaust
    3) better air box 4) better weight dist. (trans in back) 5) better traction
    6) less drive train loss 7) more aerodynamic (low to the ground)

Also after some mods your car will actually be slower until you ger the AFR right --your PT LTFT's in line and your WOT AFR near 12.7 to 13.0----Especially things like Headers , Cam, Heads, that make huge differences in air flow---I would always tune AFTER any major mod
    Last edited by tblu92; 02-11-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: addition

Thread Information