white
    2002 trans am

Tuning after headers

I just put headers and catback on my 02 TA and I have read that you should get a tune afterwards. My question is if mail order tuning is worth it? Right now after driving it for a week with the headers on, it seems to drive fine and doesn't seem to be running that rich. Will you notice a difference after the tune and will you pick up much hp?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Tuning for headers is not a need but your car will run much better, Frost's tune is fairly cheap and you should see atleast 12-15 rwhp gain. To take better advantage of the money you put into your ride and get the best performance out a tune is really a good idea. If you have a Auto tranny its even better, regardless i would get a tune either way. Hell, i got a tune for LT's and nitrous and i dont have either on yet and the reason why i did this is because i will get them on soon and i know how much of a difference it makes with a good tune. I hate to spend money on a car and not get the full advantages of what i put on, meaning bolt ons. In the future when i can justify spending 500 bucks i might get a dyno tune but from what my A/F was from my first tune, frost was right on. I dont know how well the tune is as we speak because i havent put the headers on and it feels like my car is running a bit lean but in all fairness i have to put the LT's on to see what happens. Just gotta save up 250-300 for the install. Ive had 5 camaro's and all had tunes except for my 01 SS and i regreted not tuning that.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

www.Tunedbyfrost.com

Mail order would be great for you.

white
    2001 Sierra

Nelson Performance offers a mail order tune for your Trans Am.

www.nelsonperformance.com/form.htm

black trans am

get some balls and buy a tuner and do it ur self.. hard yes... worth it in the long run b/c ur going to use the hell outta the loger spend 1k one time to tune and ur good to go till u stop moding the car

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

What types of things do you change if you tune for headers. Or do you just tune your LTFTs and STFTs if you are tuning w/ NB and call it good.

Ryan

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    get some balls and buy a tuner and do it ur self.. hard yes... worth it in the long run b/c ur going to use the hell outta the loger spend 1k one time to tune and ur good to go till u stop moding the car
    Get some balls? pshhhhhhhh Alot of people don't have the freetime to learn how to tune w/ HP tuners etc. OR just don't feel like fucking with it.

White
    2000 Trans AM

I bought a hand held and didn't have much of an issue learning to use it. I would have brougth it somewhere and got a tune but with the way I move, to me it wasn't a good idea.

On another note...
    Before I bought my tune, I read alot of post on here with pros and cons. I'm surprised more people haven't voiced thier opinion for not buying one. I'm sure in later post you'll hear the term "canned" tune.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I am not talking about tuning with a handheld (if you were referring to my post about learning to tune)

I personally would not go the mail tune route. Especially running nitrous LOL. Just my opinion though.

Gold
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I highly recomend doing something with about the tune now that you have headers...I have seen stock motor LS1's with headers be over a half second difference just depending on the tune....

Thread Information