tuning?

This is a discussion on tuning? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i'm buyin a superchips tuner and plan on doing some 'test and tune' runs at the drag strip to try ...

White
    2001 Camaro SS

tuning?

i'm buyin a superchips tuner and plan on doing some 'test and tune' runs at the drag strip to try to find out what runs best. i could use some input as i'm sure there's a lot of people in here that've done the same or similar mods and tuning. i have no idea where to start with the air/fuel ratios. to the best of my knowledge stock it's running 10.1:1. any ideas what might work the best with the bolt ons i've got?

the bolt ons for my 01 ss...
    volant cai
    smooth bellow
    granatelli maf
    bbk 80mm throttle body
    bbk intake man.
    hooker 1.75 headers
    hooker offroad y-pipe
    borla catless exh
    plugs/wires

all the interiors of the engine remain stock.
    any input you guys might have would be great!

thanks
    -ben

hugger orange

I have a superchips tuner, they are VERY limited on what they can do. I getting ready to get a tunner program... looking at HPtunner. save your money and get something you will be happuer with, I wish I did.
    good luck

Pewter
    2002 WS6

+1 to getting a real tuner over a programmer. HPTuner Pro all the way.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthewayilive View Post
    i'm buyin a superchips tuner and plan on doing some 'test and tune' runs at the drag strip to try to find out what runs best. i could use some input as i'm sure there's a lot of people in here that've done the same or similar mods and tuning. i have no idea where to start with the air/fuel ratios. to the best of my knowledge stock it's running 10.1:1. any ideas what might work the best with the bolt ons i've got?

the bolt ons for my 01 ss...
    volant cai
    smooth bellow
    granatelli maf
    bbk 80mm throttle body
    bbk intake man.
    hooker 1.75 headers
    hooker offroad y-pipe
    borla catless exh
    plugs/wires

all the interiors of the engine remain stock.
    any input you guys might have would be great!

thanks
    -ben
    Do ALOT more research before you do any tuning. It appears that you think the AFR is 10.1:1. That would be closer to the compression ratio. AFR at non-WOT (wide open throttle) is 14.63:1 WOT would be about 12.5:1. Go download the demo software from EFI Live and see what you are getting yourself into.

White
    2001 Camaro SS

cool thanks guys. anybody have superchips tuners with any kind of insightful info? i already bought it so i need any kind of positive info!

hugger orange

like I said I have one. the one good thing about it is that after every run at the track I could adjust my shiftpoints and frimness... the last time I went it was only 45* , so I steadily dropped pressure till my stopped breaking traction on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts

white
    2002 B4C

Is there any good info on AFR tuning? The demos are great for how the software works, but I find no good info on actual tune info. Any vocabulary lessons? PID? I'm sure lots of people don't even know AFR, PCM, VCM, Map, MAF tables etc... I'm sure this would help a lot of others. Anyone?

hugger orange

I have seen and read a lot of info on a/f ratios somewhere on here but I can't remember where. I think someone had it up as a link in another thread. I wish I could tell you exactly where it was.... I think it was in (tunning and computers) but not sure

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Is there any good info on AFR tuning? The demos are great for how the software works, but I find no good info on actual tune info. Any vocabulary lessons? PID? I'm sure lots of people don't even know AFR, PCM, VCM, Map, MAF tables etc... I'm sure this would help a lot of others. Anyone?
    Wideband or LTFT/STFT? Basically to find the correct instructions you need to know what sensor you'll be tuning with. After doing both, I strongly recommend a wideband sensor to simplify tuning your AF #s.

This is what I've been using to do most of my tuning. Its a dumbed down version of many different folks instructions, created by a guy named cpig over on the HPT forums. Its HPTuner specific and doesn't do much for teaching you what all the acronyms mean, but if you study it and research the things discussed you will learn quite a bit.

HTH,
    -Eagle

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    This should help with the lingo

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9552

white
    2002 B4C

Thanks guys!

Pewter
    2002 WS6

You bet!

hugger orange

any time I can help, I just wish I had more Info for you

Thread Information