Tuning???

This is a discussion on Tuning??? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Whats the difference between buying HPtuners and learning to tune the car myself or taking it to a pro and ...

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Tuning???

Whats the difference between buying HPtuners and learning to tune the car myself or taking it to a pro and having it tuned on the dyno? Also just talked to a shop and they told me that I would have to buy a Predator handheld tuner before they could actually get it on the dyno and tune it? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Whats the difference between buying HPtuners and learning to tune the car myself or taking it to a pro and having it tuned on the dyno? Also just talked to a shop and they told me that I would have to buy a Predator handheld tuner before they could actually get it on the dyno and tune it? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    Not knowing your background its hard to say what the difference would be. Are you a professional tech? Background in electronics?
    Tuning is complicated. not saying you cant do it, but if you dont have a background that would accelerate the learning curve, it will take alot of study, trial and error, and overall a long, long time.
    As for the predator, find a shop that uses HPT or EFIlive. Handhelds have there benefits, but for the most part they are just an added expense.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
    Not knowing your background its hard to say what the difference would be. Are you a professional tech? Background in electronics?
    Tuning is complicated. not saying you cant do it, but if you dont have a background that would accelerate the learning curve, it will take alot of study, trial and error, and overall a long, long time.
    As for the predator, find a shop that uses HPT or EFIlive. Handhelds have there benefits, but for the most part they are just an added expense.
    I guess my question better stated would be, what is the benefit of it getting tuned on a dyno? Could the same tune be done at home with my laptop with the proper software? I dont have any background in tuning, but I would rather spend the money I would spend on a tune and buy the software. Back to the shop I mentioned, so basically they dont have the proper software and expect me to buy a $400 handheld tuner???

If the shop can't do it themselves go elsewhere. You can tune your car yourself but you are better off with a dyno tune. The dyno will be able to monitor your A/F ratio under load. You could tune it then go to a dyno for checks but that is not very efficient. If you plan on doing a lot of mods / changes over a long time it may be worth it to learn EFI AND HP but those are considerable costs in time and money. If you have a few power adders and are basically done with modding then have a good shop give it a dyno tune.

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I guess my question better stated would be, what is the benefit of it getting tuned on a dyno? Could the same tune be done at home with my laptop with the proper software? I dont have any background in tuning, but I would rather spend the money I would spend on a tune and buy the software. Back to the shop I mentioned, so basically they dont have the proper software and expect me to buy a $400 handheld tuner???
    I'm not saying they cant tune it, or dont have the software.
    See, the handheld is just a pass thru device, and if they are a real tuner shop, they will have editing software to further customize your tune. They will just use the predator to load/download the tune to the car. Then when you're done, you will have the device with multiple tunes, and your stock tune, in case you ever need it.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I went the HPTuners route. It's not too complicated, and there is a lot of support out there. There is the HPTuners forum, and several LS1 sites have tuning forums, like here and on LS1tech.com. You can easily do things like modify shift points/pressures/times (A4), remove torque management, change gearing, tire sizes, etc.. Changing fuel trims and spark settings gets a bit more complicated. HPTuners also comes with data logging software for realtime data, and can be used as a tech II scan tool to view SES codes, delete them, and modify the parameters that set SES codes.

I'm looking to install a cam/heads package later this year. I'll most likely get a dyno tune when I do. As was previously stated, a GOOD tuner can get the most power out of your car on a dyno. I also agree that I wouldn't go to any shop that required me to bring my own handheld.

HPTuners is well worth the investment even if you get a dyno tune due to it's overall features. You can diagnose, monitor, modify, and download your tune from the PCM and save it, and have a library of tunes in case something ever happens to your PCM/tune.

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Find a shop that will work with you for a dyno tune, but buy the same tuner software and have them use your tuner. Then, in the future, you can keep up with further mods.

Thread Information