Tunercat Computer Crash... ECU fried?

This is a discussion on Tunercat Computer Crash... ECU fried? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok. Here's the deal. I'm 90% sure the ECU lost it's bootloader again. I was running tunercat but JUST doing ...

Tunercat Computer Crash... ECU fried?

Ok. Here's the deal. I'm 90% sure the ECU lost it's bootloader again.

I was running tunercat but JUST doing a download. About 10% through the power cable on my laptop fell off and the batteries are no good so it crashed.

I boot back up the laptop and try to do the read again. Says no connection. So I try to start the car. It will not start. Just turns but doesn't fire.

So I try datamaster and it says it cannot establish any connection with the ECU either.

I'm kind of upset cause I was going to put the govoner back on and back down the rev limmiter to 5800. I have a guy who wants to buy it this week but now the ECU seems smoked again

Any advice?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

you might get lucky and take it to a dealer and get it reflashed. if not, then you'll need another PCM. i do have a PCM from a LT1 car for sale.

garage cleaning sale

Is the PCM from an automatic? I bought one off here before. Last time I had this happen. And the guy sent me on from a manual tranny. He said it would work. However, it didn't. The manual ones don't have the connections wired to the connector for the automatic transmission.

I was able to reset the PCM. Thank god. Since it was a read it just got stuck in the reading state. The bootloader was still intact.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

glad you got it working. not sure if it's for auto or manual. is there a way for me to tell?

Not for sure. You could plug it in if you have an automatic Z28 w/ OBD1. Then if the transmission doesn't shift very well at all and is increadibly sluggish the ECU came from a manual. If it shifts well then it's an automatic.

Otherwise if you can find a pinout for the ECU you'll see that the pins for the tranny are missing from the connector. The ECU w/ tranny controller has more pins in the connector than the ECU for a manual.

I am doing a tune for someone with the same software (tunercat) or now called DST by Jet anyway--same thing happened--for no reason, in the middle of DOWNLOADING the finished tune it did something weird and just stopped. The message was the same--bootloader error. Then I kept getting different messages--No response---cable not connected etc. etc.---Then same thing--It would not start--I tried to re-set the PCM--didn't work--tried to read the program with a scanner---same type of messages--Nothing works. Short of buying the guy a new PCM,, what did you do or what can i do to get this thing working again ??? How did you re-set the PCM?? I disconnected the battery for 12 hours---no go----I'd appreciate any help--I am totally lost

Don't know why it let me read the program on one day with no problems and then takes a pooh-pooh on the next when i tried to download----

Oh yeah--DST does not have a live person to talk to--You have to E-mail them and they say it takes 48 hours for a response--in the mean time this customer is gonna backcharge me for a rental car--and I'll prob. have to buy him a new PCM--

UPDATE----I have called Jet at least 10 times and have E-mailed them just as many--they called once at 7 in the morning--the busiest part of the day and we didn't pick up--but I called them back when we had time around 10 am--got the machine again and its been 2 more weeks and I have yet to hear from them again--
    DST SUCKS---Support ??? NO support---Only reaon I used thenm this time was because they can tune 1997 vortechs as my EFILIVE only goes back to 98--What a joke----It's gonna cost me $500 for a new ECM and car rental--for my customer as I have an excelent reputaton here and i won't leave him haging even though it isn't my fault---
    Last edited by tblu92; 06-16-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Thread Information