Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Tuned by frost???? Help?

SO I hear everyone talkin about frost's tunes. I want to know how much, what do I have to do, and what kind of benifits (hp) I will gain. thanks
    99 ss hearders/ borla exhaust

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    SO I hear everyone talkin about frost's tunes. I want to know how much, what do I have to do, and what kind of benifits (hp) I will gain. thanks
    99 ss hearders/ borla exhaust
    http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/

Black

I had my car tuned by frost and it worked out awsome. I had him delete my rear o2 sensors and tune the car. I know that it was cheaper than buying a tune and I got my rear 02's deleted which you cant do that buying a tune. I didnt have my car dyno'd but I could tell a big difference.

Black
    F250

Quote Originally Posted by blk_z28 View Post
    I had my car tuned by frost and it worked out awsome. I had him delete my rear o2 sensors and tune the car. I know that it was cheaper than buying a tune and I got my rear 02's deleted which you cant do that buying a tune. I didnt have my car dyno'd but I could tell a big difference.
    I think you meant tuner like the diablo...

red
    99 camaro

^^^ correct, I had full boltons with the diablo and I knew how to adjust the diablo to get the most out of it. I will tell ya it had nothing on the frost tune!!! I mean absolelutely nothing... Its like a new car. It went from not catching second in a 3.23 a4 car to leaving 10ft black marks in second. Now thats a difference you can see and feel.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I have long tubes with borla also, and a frost tune woke her right up! Day and night!! Also got rid of the O2's I believe a tune on a stock car would notice a difference!

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Steve tuned my car last year which basically has a lid and catback(cutout was closed on the dyno runs). Awesome guy to work with and a funny fucker at the track too. He found a few problems with the car having excessive false knock(shit was knocking in the parking lot at 15 mph and off the gas) and the transmission shifted softer than stock. He fixed that through a few drives and on the dyno.

My car dropped 8 tenths from his tune(even though the weaker shifts in the transmission may have had something to do with the poor beginning ET's). Now the car pulls and chirps the gears nicely when shifting when I get on it. Much firmer shifts, but not excessive.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll just echo what everyone else has said -- Steve knows his stuff, he has a quick turn around on mail order tunes, and he answers lots of questions on here. I sent our PCM to him back in February for a mail order. If I lived a bit closer, my car would be on his dyno getting the works.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    Steve tuned my car last year which basically has a lid and catback(cutout was closed on the dyno runs). Awesome guy to work with and a funny fucker at the track too. He found a few problems with the car having excessive false knock(shit was knocking in the parking lot at 15 mph and off the gas) and the transmission shifted softer than stock. He fixed that through a few drives and on the dyno.
    False knock? was it triggering the S.E.S. light? I got a tune from Frost a little over a week ago, drove it twice then it started trowing a knock sensor code.. did your do the same thing?

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

I had mine tuned by Frost. Car didnt run better, it ran worse. Couldnt figure out why so I had him flash it back to the original tune.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

he did a great job on the tune for my car even with my cam. After i got the car back up and running i borrowed a wideband from a buddy and my A/F was dead on throughout the whole rpm range. Only issue i had is my idle and rev catching but i cant blame him for that.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by lsgunner28 View Post
    False knock? was it triggering the S.E.S. light? I got a tune from Frost a little over a week ago, drove it twice then it started trowing a knock sensor code.. did your do the same thing?
    Nope. The 98 ecm's are notorious for it.

Sandman- Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You are the first person I have seen or heard that had an issue with his tune and I known the guy personally for the past 5 years.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    Nope. The 98 ecm's are notorious for it.

Sandman- Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You are the first person I have seen or heard that had an issue with his tune and I known the guy personally for the past 5 years.
    Yeah me too cause now I have to pay $450 for tune here in Dallas.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Yeah me too cause now I have to pay $450 for tune here in Dallas.
    That sucks.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I had mine tuned by Frost. Car didnt run better, it ran worse. Couldnt figure out why so I had him flash it back to the original tune.

I have tuned ALMOST 1,000 setups right now. Of those, almost 500 are mail order calibrations. Of all of the work that I have ever done, I have only ever had one car that had issue and that required a refund/flashing back to stock. That was this car.

Every car is different and this IS a mail order tune, but with hundreds of the same year/same mods cars tuned both in person and through the mail, the odds are incredibly high that there was simply something physically wrong (MAF or other-wise) that you were unable to determine given the tools and diagnostic equipment that were available to you at the time. Occasionally, I have an issue with a bolt-ons customer that I help them walk through. The most common problem is older MAFs that report low (but they still work and won't code).

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I have tuned ALMOST 1,000 setups right now. Of those, almost 500 are mail order calibrations. Of all of the work that I have ever done, I have only ever had one car that had issue and that required a refund/flashing back to stock. That was this car.

Every car is different and this IS a mail order tune, but with hundreds of the same year/same mods cars tuned both in person and through the mail, the odds are incredibly high that there was simply something physically wrong (MAF or other-wise) that you were unable to determine given the tools and diagnostic equipment that were available to you at the time. Occasionally, I have an issue with a bolt-ons customer that I help them walk through. The most common problem is older MAFs that report low (but they still work and won't code).
    Only codes that ever have showed up are the AIR, EGR, Rear CATS, which have been removed. Nothing else. I wasnt trying to give you bad press, you were helpfull in every way, we just couldnt figure out what the problem was.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Where are you located in Richmond? I'm up in the Northern Virginia area and I am in need of a tune. I am thinking of getting one in a couple months or so.....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Only codes that ever have showed up are the AIR, EGR, Rear CATS, which have been removed. Nothing else. I wasnt trying to give you bad press, you were helpfull in every way, we just couldnt figure out what the problem was.

I didn't take it as bad press, was just commenting that you are the only person whom I have ever refunded or needed to.

MAF's don't code when they fail (in the manner that I am referring to here), they just report low. That's why half of the customers that actually have problems with them argue that they are still good. The ONLY DTC's that the MAF can set are:
    P0101 - MAF Performance - this is a sanity check against SD calculations to make sure that airflow isn't higher over a period of time (NOT lower, which is what we'd need to see) than expected
    P0102 - MAF Low Freq - The MAF basically has to be 100% dead or unplugged, or the eng sens fuse that powers the MAF is open to be set. Will NOT catch MAFs that just report low (since they still report SOMETHING)
    P0103 - MAF High Freq - This is always set in an SD car where fail freq is set to 0 Hz to force it and otherwise will almost never be set except for an FI setup that *really* pushes on the MAF.

That's it. There are no other failure modes in the PCM for the MAF. There is nothing to cry foul when the unit reports fractionally low.

You never mentioned MAF reported frequency at idle or the reported frequency range at WOT to the best of my memory. Without knowing this, and also while knowing for sure that the MAF controls almost all of the fueling (that correction will be applied to), it is the most likely suspect.

My work was under a different name/company at the time. I am waiting on an order of spares now. If you haven't already had your car tuned, we could give it another shot with me sending you a loaded unit for testing if you'd like. I wanted to do that before but circumstance did not allow on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Where are you located in Richmond? I'm up in the Northern Virginia area and I am in need of a tune. I am thinking of getting one in a couple months or so.....
    Right now the dyno is in the west side just barely west of Short Pump on I64. Within the next two months, the shop I tune of of, Performance Auto Sport is moving to a larger location. Currently I tune out of their shop and have an office at home until June. When the shop moves, I will be moving my business to an office there.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Well worth the drive.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

I didn't take it as bad press, was just commenting that you are the only person whom I have ever refunded or needed to.

MAF's don't code when they fail (in the manner that I am referring to here), they just report low. That's why half of the customers that actually have problems with them argue that they are still good. The ONLY DTC's that the MAF can set are:
    P0101 - MAF Performance - this is a sanity check against SD calculations to make sure that airflow isn't higher over a period of time (NOT lower, which is what we'd need to see) than expected
    P0102 - MAF Low Freq - The MAF basically has to be 100% dead or unplugged, or the eng sens fuse that powers the MAF is open to be set. Will NOT catch MAFs that just report low (since they still report SOMETHING)
    P0103 - MAF High Freq - This is always set in an SD car where fail freq is set to 0 Hz to force it and otherwise will almost never be set except for an FI setup that *really* pushes on the MAF.

That's it. There are no other failure modes in the PCM for the MAF. There is nothing to cry foul when the unit reports fractionally low.

You never mentioned MAF reported frequency at idle or the reported frequency range at WOT to the best of my memory. Without knowing this, and also while knowing for sure that the MAF controls almost all of the fueling (that correction will be applied to), it is the most likely suspect.

My work was under a different name/company at the time. I am waiting on an order of spares now. If you haven't already had your car tuned, we could give it another shot with me sending you a loaded unit for testing if you'd like. I wanted to do that before but circumstance did not allow on my end.

Right now the dyno is in the west side just barely west of Short Pump on I64. Within the next two months, the shop I tune of of, Performance Auto Sport is moving to a larger location. Currently I tune out of their shop and have an office at home until June. When the shop moves, I will be moving my business to an office there.
    I have no way to test the MAF frequency.

I do recall you saying that you were going to send me a PCM with a different tune. I have no problem testing one, I just cant send mine cause this is my only car. Which is the reason I sent it UPS Next Day Air the last time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information