To tune or not to tune.....

This is a discussion on To tune or not to tune..... within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 2001 SS with AirBox mod, SLP Air Lid, K&N and Loudmouth exhaust. It has 17,000 miles on ...

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

To tune or not to tune.....

I have a 2001 SS with AirBox mod, SLP Air Lid, K&N and Loudmouth exhaust.
    It has 17,000 miles on it. I have changed the spark plugs to NKG, put in a 180 degree thermostat. Do you think I should take it to a shop to have a Dyno Tune? OR let it be? It seems to be running ok, but when I replaced the plugs, the old plug diodes were pretty much melted to the size of a ink pen's head. Running to lean? Maybe because of the increased amount of air it gets now and loss of back pressure (exhaust)? Also with the new plugs, it runs about 5 degrees hotter, (190-200) before it ran about 180-185 according to the temp gauge. Like I said, it seems to be running fine. Should I leave it alone?

GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2001SSCamaro#2516 View Post
    I have a 2001 SS with AirBox mod, SLP Air Lid, K&N and Loudmouth exhaust.
    It has 17,000 miles on it. I have changed the spark plugs to NKG, put in a 180 degree thermostat. Do you think I should take it to a shop to have a Dyno Tune? OR let it be? It seems to be running ok, but when I replaced the plugs, the old plug diodes were pretty much melted to the size of a ink pen's head. Running to lean? Maybe because of the increased amount of air it gets now and loss of back pressure (exhaust)? Also with the new plugs, it runs about 5 degrees hotter, (190-200) before it ran about 180-185 according to the temp gauge. Like I said, it seems to be running fine. Should I leave it alone?
    There's nothing you have that needs to be tuned in, except for maybe the thermostat. If I'm correct they won't work unless you have them tuned so that they operate correctly, otherwise it'll just assume the thermostat is the factory one. If your done modding it and wanna see how much your pushing, then why not. If your not done, I'd wait and save the money for when you put some better mods in. IMO

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like was said....I would wait for a couple more mods before tuning. There's a little to be gained there so if you think it's going to be a while before you do any more mods I'd be tempted to send the pcm off to frost for a mail order tune. $125 is worth getting it tuned......$500 isn't.
    Those plugs you had were probably iridium plugs which have an extremely small diode to begin with.

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

They were the stock plugs from the factory. I don't plan on doing any more mods, trying to keep the car original (as I can). Is it weird that switching spark plugs would increase the operating temperature of the engine?

blue
    1998 camaro z28

You could get together with a couple of buddies and share the cost for the purchase of an H P TUNER PROGRAMMER then you and your buddies do your own cars yourselves. I rent my dyno out for $75 per hr, for guys want to tune there own cars, I would definatly do a tune.

Thread Information