Black
    1999 Trans Am

Trouble code, need help

The check engine light came on in my 99 T/A. I bought an OBDII code reader and the code PO442 came up. The book says that this is Evaporitive EmissionControl system leak. I also noticed the car makes a whining noise kind of like a small vacume cleaner from the drivers side while at idle. As you rev it up the noise goes away, at idle it comes back. Does anyone know exactly what this code is? Thanks

Buddy of mine had P0442. He tried replacing the gas cap first, kept coming back - ended up getting the system pressurized with smoke at a shop to find it (was a small leak in the gas fill tube somewhere). Yours could be something different. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8854.php Whining/vacuum cleaner noise on start up sounds like the air pump, but should go off by itself after a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Buddy of mine had P0442. He tried replacing the gas cap first, kept coming back - ended up getting the system pressurized with smoke at a shop to find it (was a small leak in the gas fill tube somewhere). Yours could be something different. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8854.php Whining/vacuum cleaner noise on start up sounds like the air pump, but should go off by itself after a couple minutes.
    Whining noise is the air pump going on/off for the 1st couple of minutes at start-up--
    Evap codes are usually gas cap or tank vent hose---you could have a leak in one of the hoses or one may have fallen off check them all from the routing from tank to engine compatment

Red
    2002 T/A

+2
    Have you filled up since this code appeared?
    Tighten the gas cap and reset the codes.
    See if this helps.
    Remember not to leave the engine running or the ignition in the on position while refueling.

Thread Information