Thread: tranny tune

hugger orange

tranny tune

in my 04 a4 GTO I'm installing a bunch of goodies = transgo shift kit (full manual shift) B&M mega shifter ratchet shift, Raptor input shaft kit (with the beast), Hughes Performance race overhaul (Alto kevlar clutches and steels), planets, sprag, and TCI 3,800 stall......my tune now =i have 0 TM, 0 shift delay, uped the line pressure and it bangs the gears hard as hell ( ilove it), but was told I need to drop the line pressure to keep from damaging the new built tranny.
    anyone know about how I should re set the tranny tune? Frost I hope you see this and jump in!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Set the pressure table back to stock. Once you get everything in there, if you want more or less 'feeling' tweak on this table at that point. I would set all of those commanded shift times to 0.250, not 0. Your WOT shifting will need to be re-adjusted to maintain shift points in many cases.

Personally, I use entirely different part throttle shift tables and lockup tables with stalls.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

^ This man knows.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Set the pressure table back to stock. Once you get everything in there, if you want more or less 'feeling' tweak on this table at that point. I would set all of those commanded shift times to 0.250, not 0. Your WOT shifting will need to be re-adjusted to maintain shift points in many cases.

Personally, I use entirely different part throttle shift tables and lockup tables with stalls.
    do I need to worry about the shift points with the manual shift valve body, or just the converter lockup speed?

right now 1-2 and 2-3 desired shift times are 0.200, and 3-4 is 0.169 part throttle. all shiftes at WOT are at 0....so set them all to, part and WOT to 0.250 and stock setting for all pressure tables right?

do you know how the new setup will shift compared to the old tranny setup?

I know, lots of questions but I want to makesure I get it right.
    Thank you Frost!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You are insane if you give up computer control for a manual valve body... You have your own tuning tool and a PCM that can be dead-repeatable, why cripple it like that? It's like going back to a carb... Sorry to be blunt You don't have to go that far with the kit.

I was talking about Desired Shift Time>Normal. I use 0.250 across the board. They need to be under a half second to avoid adaptive learning.

None of this crap matters at all if you are going to dumb down the trans like this anyway, you will be reflashing your car as a six speed like you would for a th400.

Don't forget a lockup solution if you go manual.
    Last edited by Frost; 08-17-2009 at 08:37 PM.

hugger orange

You are insane if you give up computer control for a manual valve body... You have your own tuning tool and a PCM that can be dead-repeatable, why cripple it like that? It's like going back to a carb... Sorry to be blunt You don't have to go that far with the kit.

I was talking about Desired Shift Time>Normal. I use 0.250 across the board. They need to be under a half second to avoid adaptive learning.

None of this crap matters at all if you are going to dumb down the trans like this anyway, you will be reflashing your car as a six speed like you would for a th400.

Don't forget a lockup solution if you go manual.
    lol that's what I like about you, you know what your talking about and your not afraid to be blunt and voice your opinion!

the transgo kit has the option to stay full auto, if I leave it like that can I still use the ratchet shifter and make it hold any gear I want without making full manual shift and not hurt the tranny?
    (this is mainly a fun street car that will see more twisty back roads than the track)
    I am also looking into small autocross they do in large parking lots around the area (thats why I was looking at the manual conversion)
    can you still use the factory TCC and set it to a desired speed to lockup at with the full manual?
    the main goal I'm trying to do is make it alittle more fun to drive around, like I have said in yhe past, I loved the great hard shifts even at part throttle (may have led to the destruction of stock tranny) and would love to keep the brutal shifts, but don't want to rebuild the tranny every year.

thanks again Frost keep the info coming!

hugger orange

correct me if I'm wrong, the TCC has constant power and the PCM grounds it to lock the converter.
    if the shifter solinoids are unplugged in the tranny pan and the TCC is still plugged in and I go in to hptunners and sett solinoid codes to 3 no error, no report, can I still use the computer to lock the TCC like it does with the stock setup? or can I use another computer parameter to lock it so I don't have to use a manual switch?

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, the TCC has constant power and the PCM grounds it to lock the converter.
    if the shifter solinoids are unplugged in the tranny pan and the TCC is still plugged in and I go in to hptunners and sett solinoid codes to 3 no error, no report, can I still use the computer to lock the TCC like it does with the stock setup? or can I use another computer parameter to lock it so I don't have to use a manual switch?
    i tried what your talking about on my dakota and it worked. with dodges though there are less tuners out there and i got tired of the constant engine light so i put it back to an automatic valvebody

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    lol that's what I like about you, you know what your talking about and your not afraid to be blunt and voice your opinion!

the transgo kit has the option to stay full auto, if I leave it like that can I still use the ratchet shifter and make it hold any gear I want without making full manual shift and not hurt the tranny?
    (this is mainly a fun street car that will see more twisty back roads than the track)
    I am also looking into small autocross they do in large parking lots around the area (thats why I was looking at the manual conversion)
    can you still use the factory TCC and set it to a desired speed to lockup at with the full manual?
    the main goal I'm trying to do is make it alittle more fun to drive around, like I have said in yhe past, I loved the great hard shifts even at part throttle (may have led to the destruction of stock tranny) and would love to keep the brutal shifts, but don't want to rebuild the tranny every year.

thanks again Frost keep the info coming!

The full manual will require an outside means to lockup the converter.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a lot of experience working with auto trans and auto-X, so I won't blow smoke.

hugger orange

The full manual will require an outside means to lockup the converter.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a lot of experience working with auto trans and auto-X, so I won't blow smoke.
    the kit also comes with a vaccum mod that replaces the pressure control solinoid with a pin in it you gring to the setting you need ( 1 stock, 2 police, 3 high stall) since I have the 3,800 stall I would use #3...if using this I don't need to worry about shift pressures in the computer correct?
    like you said begore I'd effectively just be dumbing down the system and taking the computer out of the loop correct
    even if its not your specialty Frost I know you still know more than me

hugger orange

could I weld or bolt a tab with a window switch on the shifter so it grounds the TCC to get it to lockup when I hit 4th? would this work?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Honestly I don't know. I have 2 local guys running full manual 4l60s... neither one of them have gotten around to figuring out lockup. They don't really drive anywhere out of town though.

hugger orange

Honestly I don't know. I have 2 local guys running full manual 4l60s... neither one of them have gotten around to figuring out lockup. They don't really drive anywhere out of town though.
    with no lockup I will just lose mpg not hurt the tranny right?
    also can I setup hptuners scaner to read if an when I get TCC lock and unlock?
    again, thank you for all the help!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

you need an M6 OS for the manual VB, I don't think you can lock a stall through the PCM when it's setup for a six speed. Also note that it will cost you credits since your base image will have to be made from a different file.

Without lockup, you can't cruise for any extended time under flash speed. It makes a ton of heat on the trans from constantly slipping.

hugger orange

you need an M6 OS for the manual VB, I don't think you can lock a stall through the PCM when it's setup for a six speed. Also note that it will cost you credits since your base image will have to be made from a different file.

Without lockup, you can't cruise for any extended time under flash speed. It makes a ton of heat on the trans from constantly slipping.
    ok that makes sense, I've seen people talking about stand alone tranny controlers, I'll look into them

SaBala

tranny tune

I briefly kicked this question around with DVelasco at the Hillsborough meet. Im now thinking of getting a tune, Ive been hesitant because my thoughts were that with crisper/harder shifting, that could accelerate the seemingly inevitable tranny problems. DV seemed to think that the crisper shifting since it can be adjusted accordingly would benefit the possible tranny issues.....citing the sloppy slow shifts from the factory could actually be detrimental to the trans. Any thoughts on this...has anyone with a tune feel they can attribute any trans problems they may have had to the crisper shifts??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SaBala View Post
    I briefly kicked this question around with DVelasco at the Hillsborough meet. Im now thinking of getting a tune, Ive been hesitant because my thoughts were that with crisper/harder shifting, that could accelerate the seemingly inevitable tranny problems. DV seemed to think that the crisper shifting since it can be adjusted accordingly would benefit the possible tranny issues.....citing the sloppy slow shifts from the factory could actually be detrimental to the trans. Any thoughts on this...has anyone with a tune feel they can attribute any trans problems they may have had to the crisper shifts??
    there are just 2 schools of thought so you'll get 2 different answers depending on who you talk too. I've had my tranny pretty much at it's limits firmness, shift speed, and zero torque management for years. No issues with mine but that doesn't mean my way is the right way...could just mean I've been lucky. In the end if you're gonna beat on the car stuff is gonna break so that's a risk you have to be willing to take.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there are just 2 schools of thought so you'll get 2 different answers depending on who you talk too. I've had my tranny pretty much at it's limits firmness, shift speed, and zero torque management for years. No issues with mine but that doesn't mean my way is the right way...could just mean I've been lucky. In the end if you're gonna beat on the car stuff is gonna break so that's a risk you have to be willing to take.
    well said, I did beat very hard on mine daily for over a year before it went

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

if u cant figure out how to make the pcm control the lockup, just wire in a switch to ground. bsacially do this:

1. make sure the lockup solenoid is getting power
    2. on the output wire of the solenoid run that to a toggle switch
    3. run the other end of the switch to a metal point on the car (ground)
    4. u now have manual lockup

hugger orange

I tryied the full manual and didn't like it, removed a spring and hooked the solinoids back up.

I have played with TCC lockup and with the new stall I found 45 mph lockup feels best. it definately has a softer 1-2 2-3 part throttle shift, I haven't launched it yet to see what WOT shift feels like.

hey Frost, is there a reason you can't enable the stock shift light on the 04 a4 gto? hptuners has the option, but it tells you DO NOT enable master shift light control on an auto

Thread Information