Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Things to do with an ODB-II scanner?

I just picked up an Actron AutoScanner Plus CP9180, because both my car, and my friends '00 Camaro SS had the SES light on. Hers was easy, a loose connection on the MAF. Mine is harder, the cats aren't working right. I'm going to Pontiac tomorrow with the TSB to get it looked at.

The important question. Is there anything fun I can do with this scanner? It has a USB connection for my laptop. I'm doing the updates as I write this. Can I pull the data over to the laptop for live gauges and other fun stuff, or do I need to pick up another cable and software? What's the best and cheapest (more emphasis on the second) for bringing up interesting gauges on the laptop?

I already have a vac/boost and air/fuel gauge mounted in the car. What other statistical goodness can I have to entertain myself with?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

My friend has one.. ill take some pics of it tonight.. but its honda. It shows IAT temps coolant temp.. etc etc.. i want it for my pc really bad.. mostly to show off and play with..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have this same scanner and I really haven't used it for much other than removing codes but it does a ton really. If I remember correctly you can record data and export to excell. This is how logging and tuning used to be done back in the edit days. You would log and export to excell and get averages and what not by doing that.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Got on autotap's site and did some research and watched some demos. Very good program and i think im gonna splurge and buy it sometime. Orion, you have/had this program correct?
    opinions?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had an older version of autotap. It's a good diagnostic tool. I'm also impressed with the actron 9180 that I currently have. Like I said, my experience with the actron has been limited so far just do to lack of issues with the vehicles since I've owned it. The features list is pretty decent though for the money. I would like to see a side by side comparison of parameters read because the price difference between the 2 is fairly large. I would like to see what you get for the extra money.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

As soon as I get the performabuilt in this winter im going to the track a bunch this spring and I want to see what a difference IATS, ECT, and see whats best to launch it at. The new autotap shows all of those on guages/tables. Pretty interested. Only downside is the price/equipment.

Thread Information