Is there a readiness code for EGR?

This is a discussion on Is there a readiness code for EGR? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just like the title says, is there a readieness code for the EGR? The tuner set my EGR to no ...

2000 Trans Am

Is there a readiness code for EGR?

Just like the title says, is there a readieness code for the EGR? The tuner set my EGR to no report, so I don't think I will have a problem after I reinstall the egr for my smog test.......any input or suggestions would be appreciated.~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

A diganostic trouble code, and a readiness test are not the same thing. Tests conducted by the PCM will determine if codes are set. Or as soon as the PCM sees the wrong voltage drop.

Most good scan tools, like Vetronix and the real software will show it as disabled. Even with no code, it will say disabled, and the test machine software will fail the car. And with more states doing the OBD II test in lieu of the IM 240, there is no cheating the test. Your VIN is entered, and the machine communicates with the PCM, just like a scan tool.

All states have the same law, save for the communists in California. The clean air act of 1990 is what is followed with OBD II. Enforcement is based on population density. If the density is low enough, a state does not have to enforce the standards in those areas. Of course, lack of enforcement doesn't make it legal, and most fines for tampering with emission control devices are pretty steep. Fair or not.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    A diganostic trouble code, and a readiness test are not the same thing. Tests conducted by the PCM will determine if codes are set. Or as soon as the PCM sees the wrong voltage drop.

Most good scan tools, like Vetronix and the real software will show it as disabled. Even with no code, it will say disabled, and the test machine software will fail the car. And with more states doing the OBD II test in lieu of the IM 240, there is no cheating the test. Your VIN is entered, and the machine communicates with the PCM, just like a scan tool.

All states have the same law, save for the communists in California. The clean air act of 1990 is what is followed with OBD II. Enforcement is based on population density. If the density is low enough, a state does not have to enforce the standards in those areas. Of course, lack of enforcement doesn't make it legal, and most fines for tampering with emission control devices are pretty steep. Fair or not.

So since I have the code set to no report, you are telling me that the software that does the smog will see that and automatically fail me? Can someone else chime in on this, because if this was the case then that means they use a software like hp tuners correct? Maybe Frost can help us out with this one
    Last edited by clg82; 06-03-2009 at 06:08 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDyn View Post
    Most good scan tools, like Vetronix and the real software will show it as disabled. Even with no code, it will say disabled, and the test machine software will fail the car. And with more states doing the OBD II test in lieu of the IM 240, there is no cheating the test. Your VIN is entered, and the machine communicates with the PCM, just like a scan tool......
    Yeah if that were true there would be a lot of people in trouble...

I'm not going to really get into it except to say that I see cars all over the place that have their emissions systems gone and they all still complete and pass the internal readiness tests. As a note towards another post you made, if someone knows what they are doing you don't even need the drive cycle, everything can be made ready/pass immediately.

I have not and do not do this to pollution controlled motor vehicles, but what others do with the software is up to them. I just want you to know that not only is it possible, it is easy, and I am making this reply for the education of others.

clg- what's with the posts, why not just call your tuner instead of having people here guess at the condition of your calibration? Not being a smart-guy, just seems like the most logical approach to me

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Yeah if that were true there would be a lot of people in trouble...

I'm not going to really get into it except to say that I see cars all over the place that have their emissions systems gone and they all still complete and pass the internal readiness tests. As a note towards another post you made, if someone knows what they are doing you don't even need the drive cycle, everything can be made ready/pass immediately.

I have not and do not do this to pollution controlled motor vehicles, but what others do with the software is up to them. I just want you to know that not only is it possible, it is easy, and I am making this reply for the education of others.

clg- what's with the posts, why not just call your tuner instead of having people here guess at the condition of your calibration? Not being a smart-guy, just seems like the most logical approach to me
    thanks for the input, i did call the tuner and he said that he set the code to: "No Report" but from what the guy said above you he said that the smogger would be able to see that, and i've never heard of anything like that before that is why i asked.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

The readiness test will show as completed or not completed. As stated if the software can show completed, then that is what is needed. The flash program would have to rewrite the code for the OBD II.

And yes, many people in the US are "emission illegal", and driving.

One other thing, if it shows the readiness test has not been run, do to clearning DTC's, you simply come back later. The PCM will activate the test. Under normal circumstance.
    Last edited by NaviDyn; 06-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Thread Information