Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Question South Carolina Tuners?

I am putting a cam in my car in about 2 weeks and already have pretty much every bolt on i can think of. 3.73's are also going in next week. I know its time for a tune, but I don't want to have to haul or drive the car 300 miles or so to get a quality job done. Don't get me wrong, if that is what it takes to get a good tune that is what I will do, but I was wondering if anyone else that is a member might be from Upstate South Carolina or a surrounding area and might know a good shop to take my car to. Lower North Carolina is also an easy drive. I appriciate any suggestions.
    [B]2K1 WS.6 m6: SLP Lid, MAF, smooth bellows, Y-Pipe, Loudmouth, 160 Stat, TB bypass, TR Velocity Stack, SLP Short Throw, K&N, Taylor 10mm wires w/ iridium NGK plugs, and 255lph F/P, Comp Cam, Chromemoly Rods, Comp Valve Springs

Bright Red, Victory Red
    00 Camaro SS, 07 Corvette

You may want to try Sunliner Tire and Auto on SC290 in Duncan. We just had a car show at Farrell Chevrolet and they were one of the vendors. They do have a dyno for tuning and advertise doing superchargers and tunes. If you are interested in cruise-ins, our Corvette Club in Spartanburg hosts them on the last Saturday of each month starting in June thru September from 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Tell your friends and hope to see you there.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Yea, I would be interested. SC 290 is only about 10 minutes from my house. That is a lot closer than i expected. Where are the cruise-in's held on Saturday? I will surely try to make it there.

Bright Red, Victory Red
    00 Camaro SS, 07 Corvette

The cruise-ins are held the last Saturday of every month starting in June thru September from 5:00pm to 8:00pm at Farrell Chevrolet on Asheville Hwy in Spartanburg. They are jointly sponsored by the Cross Flags Corvette Club (www.crossflagscorvetteclub.com) and Farrell Chevrolet. Tell all your car crazy friends and I hope to see you there.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Thumbs up DynoTune

Try calling hawksthirdgenparts in easley.I been there a few times.They look to have a nice setup.I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Yes call Hawks for sure. Bruce is a very honest an straight guy he want lead you in the wrong direction. They tuned my car an did the header swap very professional an timely. The number is (864) 855 2694 ask for Bruce.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Thanks for the useful information. I have heard mixed opinions about the first tuner shop mentioned but the one in easley sounds good all around.

You will not be disappointed in Hawks Performance. I see you live in Boiling Springs I just live a few up the road in Landrum you ever hang out around the mall on friday or saturday nites? Those cruise ins at Farrell Chevy are normally very good I have been to serveral.
    Last edited by Vols Fan; 06-08-2006 at 11:32 AM.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

cruise in

I just found out about the cruise in's at Ferrell about 3 weeks ago and they had one right after i found out, but i wasn't able to go because i had a friend from boston come down for the weekend. I do plan on being at the next one though. Look for me there. 2K1 Pewter WS.6 with black racing stripes.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

you said hawks did the headerswap on your car. How much did they charge you do swap headers and then tune your PCM? I am about to buy some pacesetter headers in a couple of weeks and my cam should be going in the car in about 15 days or less. I am going to want it tuned shortly after the cam goes in and if they can install the headers before the tune that would be great.

Do not buy pacesetters you will not be happy with them. It cost me 1500 for the tune LT Hooker headers an the matching y pipe installed.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Tune

Thats a little steep for me now. I can't exactly drop 1500 on a tune and header installation. I have some mechanic friends who will install the headers for around $200-$250. If not the pacesetters LT's what do you recomend, that is less than $550? And how much do you think Hawks will charge for just the Tune?

Get the Hooker headers mine were around $450. The Hookers have a much thicker flange that will not distort under heat as the pacesetters will over time. I think Hawk charged me $250 for my header install. To write a tune is $500 flat weather it takes 30 mins or 6 hours. If you do the install your self or your buddies do it make sure to use a top of the line gasket very important. Just give Hawk a call an tell him what you have an what you need/want an he will steer you in the right direction.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

Talking Thanks

Hey man, I really appriciate the info. I might get them to do the header install and then get the tune later when I have the funds. I will give him a call this week sometime and see what he can do for the money I have now. I will C U around.

The Mudkat
    "The good Lord sez he can get me outta this, but he sez he's pretty sure you're *****d!"

white
    2000 SS Convertible

Also, you could come up to charlotte and have Alvin at pcmforless.com do a dyno and tune for you. I think they charge 250 for the first tune and 50 for updates. He can also get a great deal on the dyno if you want it, but you'll likely be very happy with just the tune.

I dont want to talk bad about any tuner esp one I know nothing about but you should be weary because you get what you pay for. Alot of people out there will tune a car for wide open throttle performance an to hell with the everyday driviblity of it. Be sure an indicate that while you want the big power number you also want to maintain decent fuel mileage an not be goimg through o2 sensors every 6 months. Like I said not saying anything bad about anyones tuners just putting all the facts out there.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

I agree that you get what you pay for. esp in tuning a car. I have heard good things about Hawks and I have also heard good things about PCMforless. I still have a little while to make up my mind where I go to so I will be calling both places here in the near future and asking some questions. Thanks for both of the suggestions.

The Mudkat
    "The good Lord sez he can get me outta this, but he sez he's pretty sure you're *****d!"

white
    2000 SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Vols Fan View Post
    I dont want to talk bad about any tuner esp one I know nothing about but you should be weary because you get what you pay for. Alot of people out there will tune a car for wide open throttle performance an to hell with the everyday driviblity of it. Be sure an indicate that while you want the big power number you also want to maintain decent fuel mileage an not be goimg through o2 sensors every 6 months. Like I said not saying anything bad about anyones tuners just putting all the facts out there.
    I've never ever heard any bad feedback from pcmforless.com. Everyone on the boards raves about em. They can make your car do whatever you plan for it and make the tune fit the mods. Very good with blowers and turbos too. You don't have to pay big bucks for a great tune.

silver
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Does anybody do anything on Sundays. I have to work on Saturday nights so i won't be able to do anything on Friday or Saturday. Sucks, but got to have a job.

see you in my rear view

Pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans AM

well, I used to live in Chesnee which is very popular for cruising on Sunday Night. I'm not sure what part of South Carolina you are from but if you are not too far away then you should check it out one week. There are quite a few people there if the weather is good. We stir up some races occasionally too. Hwy. 221

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information