Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Should I get an hp tuner?

This is a discussion on Should I get an hp tuner? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm thinking of buying hp tuner vcm suite pro, I live in Windsor, Ontario Canada. My question because we have ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windsor, Ont.
    Posts
    27

    Yellow
    2002 Trams Am CE

    Should I get an hp tuner?

    I'm thinking of buying hp tuner vcm suite pro, I live in Windsor, Ontario Canada. My question because we have strict emissions laws. Can I tune my car with hp tuner to to pass emissions and tune it back to max power? I will have lt headers, cat back system. Is the software easy to use/learn.

  2. #2
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    You can easily switch back and forth between 2 different tunes. The software is quite overwhelming and takes a big effort to learn and understand.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I purchased the Pro package last summer... have read every tuning book I could find... went to Greg Banish's class at Redline Motorsports... spent hours reading on the HP Tuners forum and watching the tutorials... and have yet to alter anything in my existing mail order tune. Cutlass said it -- there is a lot to this and you need to understand how and why to make the appropriate changes.

  4. #4
    Token V6 Guy
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Trenton/NJ/US
    Age
    41
    Posts
    336

    Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

    I took about a month before I started changing things, started small with fan turn on/off, speed limiter, rev limiter then moved to the bigger and better stuff. You don't learn tuning overnight but its one of the most rewarding modifications you'll ever do.

    -Bill
    Support for HPTuners

  5. #5
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I purchased the Pro package last summer... have read every tuning book I could find... went to Greg Banish's class at Redline Motorsports... spent hours reading on the HP Tuners forum and watching the tutorials... and have yet to alter anything in my existing mail order tune. Cutlass said it -- there is a lot to this and you need to understand how and why to make the appropriate changes.
    there's your problem ......you will learn things much much faster by actually doing it versus reading about it. I always tell people to spend a bunch of time early on learning the scanner portion of it and how to use the existing histograms along with creating histograms. That's the key to it....understanding what data you're looking for and how to get it. After that decide what adjustments you want to make and start in small increments.
    There's definitely a learning curve there and it's not just answering 4 or 5 yes or no questions but the amount of control you have over the engine and tranny is miles above anything else out there. Definitely worth the time spent learning to do it.

  6. #6
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's your problem ......you will learn things much much faster by actually doing it versus reading about it.

    You hit the nail on the head with that statement,,,for me anyway.

    I was the same way, reading, asking questions, more reading. I've had things explained to me 5 times over. But I never really understood it until I actually dove in and started using it.
    The best way (for me) was to jump in there and start trying things. Alot of it didn't make sense on paper for me. Once I saw it in action and made changes, all those explanations started making more sense.

    I will say that having some understanding of a combustion engine and knowing how changes affect things is a big help. Understanding timing and how it affects each particular engine, how camshafts can affect timing tables, cylinder pressures, combustion chamber designs, air fuel ratios, what works and what doesn't.
    The largest hurdle from there is just learning which tables do what and how that affects other tables. My biggest complaint would be how other tables are used as multipliers, and how some tables have learning ablilities (auto trannies for instance). That stuff can be frustrating.

    I found it best to dive in and change little things and learn how to save and reflash tunes. I slowly progressed from there. I've used it for a few years now and I'll be the first to tell ya I still don't know it all, Orion can vouch for that

    Edit: I'd also like to add that I absolutely hate computers, they are the bane of my existence. Using one was a huge learning curve for me. But I felt owning a 4th gen it was a necessity, just for the diagnostic ability alone.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-21-2011 at 02:32 PM.

  7. #7
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with that statement,,,for me anyway.

    I was the same way, reading, asking questions, more reading. I've had things explained to me 5 times over. But I never really understood it until I actually dove in and started using it.
    The best way (for me) was to jump in there and start trying things. Alot of it didn't make sense on paper for me. Once I saw it in action and made changes, all those explanations started making more sense.

    I will say that having some understanding of a combustion engine and knowing how changes affect things is a big help. Understanding timing and how it affects each particular engine, how camshafts can affect timing tables, cylinder pressures, combustion chamber designs, air fuel ratios, what works and what doesn't.
    The largest hurdle from there is just learning which tables do what and how that affects other tables. My biggest complaint would be how other tables are used as multipliers, and how some tables have learning ablilities (auto trannies for instance). That stuff can be frustrating.

    I found it best to dive in and change little things and learn how to save and reflash tunes. I slowly progressed from there. I've used it for a few years now and I'll be the first to tell ya I still don't know it all, Orion can vouch for that
    I'll bring that up at the next GM board meeting. I'll say "Larry said to cut back on the tables." Might work.

    One thing Hptuner does that's helpful is provide a pretty decent help section in the software itself and if you mouse over the button for a table it'll pretty much tell you what it does and what the min-max is for that table.

  8. #8
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'll bring that up at the next GM board meeting. I'll say "Larry said to cut back on the tables." Might work.
    I'd really appreciate that Orion If they could get rid of some tables and just dummy it down a bit that would be great

  9. #9
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'd really appreciate that Orion If they could get rid of some tables and just dummy it down a bit that would be great
    if you want to see what it looks like with fewer tables you need to look at some old LS1edit software. Fewer tables is not the way to go. You guys are spoiled with hptuners.

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if you want to see what it looks like with fewer tables you need to look at some old LS1edit software. Fewer tables is not the way to go. You guys are spoiled with hptuners.
    I'm spoiled with carbs and points ignition systems

  11. #11
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    I just ordered it about 45 minutes ago. im more than ready to start making changes and see what happens and how things react. with educated changes of course.

  12. #12
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    I just ordered it about 45 minutes ago. im more than ready to start making changes and see what happens and how things react. with educated changes of course.
    just take your time, do a lot of reading, and ask questions. Hopefully you got the pro version.....it's worth the extra money.

  13. #13
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    I got mine and already deleted my rear o2s, skip shift, and a few other minor changes. I got a long way to go till I get good and comfortable with it

  14. #14
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just take your time, do a lot of reading, and ask questions. Hopefully you got the pro version.....it's worth the extra money.
    got the pro version because of what ive read on here and if im gonna do it i wanna do it right. I my boss is an excellent tuner that has offered to help me along the way.

  15. #15
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    got the pro version because of what ive read on here and if im gonna do it i wanna do it right. I my boss is an excellent tuner that has offered to help me along the way.
    That would help tremendously. I wish I had someone here that knew it inside and out, and I could watch and see all the little tricks in the software. Just actually seeing it work and actually doing it registers with me.

    Having it explained via email and then trying to find it and use it in the software is much more difficult for me. Took me a long time to feel around and get more comfortable.

  16. #16
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    He uses SCT software, but he will be able to look at my tunes and help show me ways to improve. I agree with being able to watch and do as an easier way to learn.

  17. #17
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    He uses SCT software, but he will be able to look at my tunes and help show me ways to improve. I agree with being able to watch and do as an easier way to learn.
    does he have any experience with hptuner or gm's? I think he might be surprised when he looks at it the first time.

  18. #18
    Member TA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    863

    Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Honestly im not sure. All we do is lightnings and newer mustangs so SCT and diablo are the only softwares that really get used.

  19. #19
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    here's a screen shot of the ve table and high octane spark table side by side....you may notice a slight difference from sct or diablo


  20. #20
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    YEP

    I would say so seems a little overwhelming I just ordered a Tune From Frost lol But I'm hoping to order an HP Tuner in the future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: 94 OBD-I C.A.T.S Tuner
    By Adam_94_T/A in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 06:54 PM
  2. Wanted: HP Tuner
    By ledesma54 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM
  3. Best Tuner
    By polarischevy05 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
  4. cranecams tuner and Predator Tuner???
    By jakef777 in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
  5. Diablo sport tuner or hypertech tuner.........
    By clg82 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •