Service Engine Soon Light

This is a discussion on Service Engine Soon Light within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello I am trying to get my vehicle inspected and my service engine soon light comes on and off. It ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 TA WS6

Angry Service Engine Soon Light

Hello

I am trying to get my vehicle inspected and my service engine soon light comes on and off. It will come on and stay on for a few days and then turn off, but come back on 30min to an hour later.

The vehicle runs fine, with no misses or lack of fuel.

I took the car to Autozone and they checked the codes.

The computer tripped two codes P0171 and P0174.

P0171=Fuel trim bank one condition rich or lean.

P0174= Fuel trim bank two condition rich or lean.

If P0171 and P0174 are tripped together, suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? How can I check to see if the MAF is working correctly (I had a 1985 Camaro with a MAS and when it went bad the car would barely run, I have no driving issues at all with the TA, also my MPG has not change).

Should I also look at the O2 sensors?

Also while trying to figure this out I noticed a small crack in the air lid housing, but it is closer to the air filter and not pass the MAF, so this shoul not be the cause, right?

I have disconnected the battery to clear the code, however, I can not pass Emmissions because two many sensors are not ready and by the time they register the check engine soon light comes on.

I have had this vehicle since 2001 and this is the first check engine light to trip in all these years. As the manual says I might have had some bad gas. However, I have since done well over ten tanks of good gas 93 octane, with no change in the light.

Thanks for any help to get this fixed.

Doesn't sound like you have a scan tool but there are some visual inspections you can do like the PCV, check for vacuum leaks, etc. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9039.php And yeah, resetting the PCM also resets the readiness tests, you'll need some drive cycles before getting it inspected. There are some posts here on those codes, do a quick site search for P0171. Welcome to the board.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF. It's usually in an arousal can at parts stores. I had the same codes under the same conditions on my work car and that did the trick.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Mine did the same thing, I took off the slp maf and installed the original, problem solved. Does your car have a stock maf?

hugger orange

like the others said. try cleanning the MAF, if that doesn't help, try to find a friend with a stock MAF you can borrow. swap them out and see if that fixes your problem

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    99 Z-28 398/381 on the gr

Same problem here, 99 z-28.

171 and 174 were tripped, along with 200. I removed MAF(stock) cleaned thoroughly and replaced.

Still having a high idle problem and intermittent misses throught the rpm.

Now only the 200 code comes back, and only after WOT.

red
    2002 z/28

sounds like you have a vacuum leak.get some carb cleaner and spray around the pcv,where the plenum meets the heads and especially around the rear of the intake.listen for the rpms to increase as you spray.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 TA WS6

I fixed my problem.

Although my stock MAF was dirty it was not the problem (Cleaned it anyways).

The problem was a vacuum leak. It was the small boot looking hose from the throttle body to a hose on the side. It had generated a hole on the backside of it which was not able to be seen untill I took it off.

Replaced the hose and the light went off.

Thanks for all your input guys!!!!

red
    1967camaro & 02 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
    same problem here, 99 z-28.

171 and 174 were tripped, along with 200. I removed maf(stock) cleaned thoroughly and replaced.

Still having a high idle problem and intermittent misses throught the rpm.

Now only the 200 code comes back, and only after wot.
    p0200 is a injector circuit code

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jp1967 View Post
    p0200 is a injector circuit code
    check for any cut or fraid wires around the injectors (possible mouse damage)

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Any update?

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    check for any cut or fraid wires around the injectors (possible mouse damage)
    My wife just had her brand new (1000 miles on it) Murano break down right after I drove it. So naturally I get the third degree. "Did you race it, were you doing burnout, yaada, yaada?" Turns out a squirrel had eaten up through the air filter and some how screwed the MAF up. Luckily the guy we bought it from got it all put under warranty. Just had to pay like 15 for air filter. Freaking squirrels just declared war against me. Paybacks a MF.
    Last edited by driftpin; 03-13-2009 at 04:57 AM.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by driftpin View Post
    My wife just had her brand new (1000 miles on it) Murano break down right after I drove it. So naturally I get the third degree. "Did you race it, were you doing burnout, yaada, yaada?" Turns out a squirrel had eaten up through the air filter and some how screwed the MAF up. Luckily the guy we bought it from got it all put under warranty. Just had to pay like 15 for air filter. Freaking squirrels just declared war against me. Paybacks a MF.
    lol that's why I said mouse as an example, one of my friends had a mouse eat all kinds of wires in his Mustang and move into his intake

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    99 Z-28 398/381 on the gr

I havent had time to check on my problem, been out of state for 4 weeks, came back today, to move car from aunts house to my new house in KC.

Sucker did not want to start. eventually i got it going, after running like shit for 5 minutes.

Ran smooth as glass for 20 minutes, then the intermittent bucking started, exhaust note is very crackly when this happens

Almost feels like it is dumping fuel, but missing out at the same time. Maybe injector(S) are staying open and flooding the cyl?

I am going to send it in to have it checked out, I just dont have the time to do it myself, I also dont have the time for my car to be eFFing up now that its getting nice out.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    I havent had time to check on my problem, been out of state for 4 weeks, came back today, to move car from aunts house to my new house in KC.

Sucker did not want to start. eventually i got it going, after running like shit for 5 minutes.

Ran smooth as glass for 20 minutes, then the intermittent bucking started, exhaust note is very crackly when this happens

Almost feels like it is dumping fuel, but missing out at the same time. Maybe injector(S) are staying open and flooding the cyl?

I am going to send it in to have it checked out, I just dont have the time to do it myself, I also dont have the time for my car to be eFFing up now that its getting nice out.
    hey check your plugwires and make sure one of them aren't lose......i had one pop off on the goat and did the same thing

2000 Trans Am

I had this exact same problem, only mine was cause by the dipshit i had do the tune up put in 4 wrong spark plugs, a cross reference of the part number on the wrong spark plugs showed that they were for a mustang....talk about the ultimate kick in the go-nads!!!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, K&N, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I had this exact same problem, only mine was cause by the dipshit i had do the tune up put in 4 wrong spark plugs, a cross reference of the part number on the wrong spark plugs showed that they were for a mustang....talk about the ultimate kick in the go-nads!!!
    I found I the goat really likes autolite 103's

Thread Information