Thread: s.e.s light

blk
    99t/a

s.e.s light

ses light is on code says bank 1 lean, bank 2 lean. whats the likely prob?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the small piece of rubber hose between the PCV valve and the intake is rotted through on the underside allowing unmetered air to get into the engine.

you'll see it right behind my WOT switches.

Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

blk
    99t/a

code

hey, thanks for the reply i checked that hose and it seems fine. my error codes are P0171, &Po174. any help i greatly appricieted

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

did you check the underside of the hose? it likes to rot on the underside. if it's rotted, it'll feel mushy. pull it off and check it to make sure. the next thing wouldbe the EGR tube o-ring where it mounts to the intake. sometimes, the vacuum will suck it out of place. pull the tube and reseat the o-ring.

blk
    99t/a

thanks alot, ill check it out. is that what the codes indicate , that im getting unmetered air?

P0171 and P0174 at the same time is most likely a vacuum leak. PCV/hose is one of the first things to check.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

those codes indicate a lean condition. normally it's because of a vacuum leak. now, if you've modded your car and running stock tune, it may not be able to add enough fuel to compensate.

blk
    99t/a

ok, thanks. no serious mods. ill continue looking for a vacuum leak. thanks again

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

MAF sensor is another culprit. Are you using an aftermarket MAF??? List all your mods

Red

I t means you are running lean. You either have a fuel issue (such as low fuel pressure) or you have extra air. The extra air is most likely a vacuum leak allowing air into the cylinder that the MAF did not "count". Or, it could mean you MAF isn't "counting" the air correctly. Check the brake line to the tee off the back of the intake, also verify that the MAP isn't leaking. There is also a small hose that hooks up in the back for use in the cabin (vacuum for the climate controls) and it would allow extra air. One other real pssibility, bad o2's, but less likely that both are bad at once. You didn't just do any exhaust work did you?

Black
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    did you check the underside of the hose? it likes to rot on the underside. if it's rotted, it'll feel mushy. pull it off and check it to make sure. the next thing wouldbe the EGR tube o-ring where it mounts to the intake. sometimes, the vacuum will suck it out of place. pull the tube and reseat the o-ring.
    That was the same problem I was having. My hoses where sliding off cause of the heat so I put a couple of zip ties there and ses light has not come on again. Also there was some light gas and blk stuff underneith the hose. I figured that was the leak. It was off the rubber bushing so I slided it back up again. So far so good. Thanks Robert. That stuff got on my hands and smell like gas!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Cleap the maf, replace all the pcv system with rubber hose and you should be good to go.

bluegreen
    99 trans am

i also have a question about this... i recently put an slp 85mm maf sensor in my car and i noticed that i now have a p0171 bank 1 lean.. just wondering if its because of the slp maf... my only other mods so far are the slp intake ''system'' with lid, and borla cat back

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 99 ta View Post
    i recently put an slp 85mm maf sensor in my car and i noticed that i now have a p0171 bank 1 lean.. just wondering if its because of the slp maf...

YES...most likely. Don't ever replace the stock MAF unless you have a good reason to.

Thread Information