recalibrating speedometer for gear change

This is a discussion on recalibrating speedometer for gear change within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I bought a 1997 firebird ws6 about 3 months ago with a lot of updates on it.My first problem is ...

red
    1997 firebird ws6

Talking recalibrating speedometer for gear change

I bought a 1997 firebird ws6 about 3 months ago with a lot of updates on it.My first problem is the speedometer is off about 10 miles a hour at 55.I know that it has 3.73 gears in rear.It also has 17s wheels with a 6speed.I found out that the speedometer is controled thru the computer.What is the best way to recalibrate the speedometer? Hyperteck handhelt reprogramer?Any suggestions?All will be apprecited! Thanks for the help!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I hate the handhelds...but they will do this for you.

I prefer HPTuners or the like.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I hate the handhelds...but they will do this for you.

I prefer HPTuners or the like.
    I second th HPTuners. You can have way more fun, and really learn a lot about your car as you unlock some power here and there. Beware, you can really mess something up if you jump in with both feet though. It can suck you in and you will spend a lot of time reading to understand what the different adjustments will do for you, but bar none, it is the best bang for your buck.

There's also lots of people out there with a lot of experience and are willing to share.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

mail order tune is a cheaper option
    You could also go to your closest performance shop and they could do this for you

red
    1997 firebird ws6

Resetting speedometer for rear gear changes.

Thanks everybody for your comments on resetting the computer on my 1997ws6.I think i will buy the hpt handhelt. This car has dynateck headers with borla exhaust.When the previous owners put the headers on they welded up the end of the egr valve because there was no place for it.Is there a better way to block it off?Also has two air pipes off of the air pump not hooked up to anything.This is a 6 spd car and when you shift gears you get a pop in the exhaust.Could this be caused from the egr not being in the system?I know on the older cars alean mixture or vacuum leak would cause this. thanks again Kennyn18

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by kennyn18 View Post
    Thanks everybody for your comments on resetting the computer on my 1997ws6.I think i will buy the hpt handhelt. This car has dynateck headers with borla exhaust.When the previous owners put the headers on they welded up the end of the egr valve because there was no place for it.Is there a better way to block it off?Also has two air pipes off of the air pump not hooked up to anything.This is a 6 spd car and when you shift gears you get a pop in the exhaust.Could this be caused from the egr not being in the system?I know on the older cars alean mixture or vacuum leak would cause this. thanks again Kennyn18
    I consider the a/f mixture first. I believe the pop would be caused more by the exhaust system or the car running a little rich. I don't have headers, so I don't know the inherent noise by-products yet. One day!

Thread Information