Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

rear o2 delete?

This is a discussion on rear o2 delete? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Black 98 formula ws6 How can you remove your o2 sensor? Ive never heard of just geting ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Black 98 formula ws6 View Post
    How can you remove your o2 sensor? Ive never heard of just geting rid of the o2 sensors.
    you keep your front o2s, they tell your computer how to adjust your air/fuel mixture by going rich or lean.
    your rear o2s tell the computer wether the cats are working properly (good cats produce oxygen and make the rear o2s read rich/ lean changes slower)
    when you delete your rear o2s, all you are doing is telling the computer to ignore their readings and not to report a problem.
    its just a way to trick the computer into thinking everthing is working right

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Have you done anything to the MAF? If so, that could be why its throwing the lean codes. SLP MAFs are known to do that.
    I was running an SLP maf and had the same problem....now I'm running a mafless speed density tune and love it....nomore lean for me

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by spydaloc View Post
    Vengeance Racing VRX2 cammed 2001 LS1 5.3L, blowing black smoke out of the tailpipes, plugs are clean. Wideband says the fuel is 13.5 - 14.2 at idle, yet the computer says it is lean and keeps adding fuel, long term fuel trim is 25%, short term is 3%. Idle is very up and down. Will not idle. Give it gas and it goes. Exhaust is Sanderson shorties, with no cats, Spintech XL mufflers, 2.5" exhaust pipes. Vehicle idles very high in drive, and while driving it runs fast while in drive. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks alot fellas!

With that cam and high LTFTs, you are NOT LEAN; you are drowning and your wideband can't show you because it's reading is being ruined by cam overlap. The fresh air escaping at idle from overlap shows up as falsely lean to both your wideband and your narrow band O2s and causes over fueling as it tries to correct for a perceived lean condition.

There are tuning workarounds of course... Depending on your year you can use PE enable down low commanding 1.0 so you get open loop idle, but first, I'd disable LTFTs (run STFTs only) and dial in the VE. The STFTs will still begin to wander rich after a while idling, but won't start with that 25% offset from an incorrectly learned fuel trim.

Or you could be a badass and run full time OL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information