Question for Frost...

This is a discussion on Question for Frost... within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I programmed my car with a Hypertech III. When I pulled the battery, it reset to stock settings. When you ...

Awaiting Activation

black
    2000 Z28

Question for Frost...

I programmed my car with a Hypertech III. When I pulled the battery, it reset to stock settings. When you do the tunes, does that happen, or does it stay permanently? This may be a stupid questoin...I just don't know how it works.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjay76 View Post
    I programmed my car with a Hypertech III. When I pulled the battery, it reset to stock settings. When you do the tunes, does that happen, or does it stay permanently? This may be a stupid questoin...I just don't know how it works.
    It has always been my under standing that the hypertech pulls your stock tune and installs its own new tune.. So pulling the battery should do nothing. But frost would know for sure.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2000 Z28

From what Jeg's tells me this is common with any handheld programmer because once the battery is pulled it erases the codes that were put in because its only in the temporary memory, not actually burned into it. I was just wondering how the tunes Frost does work. Hypertech told me I can send my tuner back and they'll reset it, but in order to use it again, I'll have to have a dealer reflash my computer and start all over again. A more permanent tune would be better, because then I won't have to worry about it if the battery goes dead or something.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjay76 View Post
    From what Jeg's tells me this is common with any handheld programmer because once the battery is pulled it erases the codes that were put in because its only in the temporary memory, not actually burned into it. I was just wondering how the tunes Frost does work. Hypertech told me I can send my tuner back and they'll reset it, but in order to use it again, I'll have to have a dealer reflash my computer and start all over again. A more permanent tune would be better, because then I won't have to worry about it if the battery goes dead or something.
    His are PERMANENT.....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

All tunes hypertec and other wise are permanent unless reflashed. The only thing being clear at battery disconnection are DTCs, fuel, and air trim learning.

My mail order tuning would likely suffer dollar-wise if PCMs 'lost' their tunes on the way to the customer

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    My mail order tuning would likely suffer dollar-wise if PCMs 'lost' their tunes on the way to the customer

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    X2

red
    2002 ss camaro

I am wondering what route to take for a tune, my 02 ss 6speed, dynomax bullit, no cats, slp lid, k&n filter, 160 thermostat. I was curious if handhelds are worth the money spent for the power gains, i dont really want the down time of sending my computer away. Any suggestions guys? Thanks Gregg

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what are your future plans for the car? If you have plans to mod further I'd probably wait until then to do the tune. I notice you have a 160 stat so are your fan settings still at stock? If so the stat really isn't doing much for you at the moment.
    You have a few options as far as your tune. You can find a local dyno tuner and get it tuned that way.....you could buy a handheld.....or the cheapest way is to do a mail order tune through Frost. I believe he's still doing tunes for $125. Someone that's had one can chime in but I think his turn around time is very quick. I think he basically mails them back out the same day he gets them so you're just looking at mail travel time.

red
    2002 ss camaro

thanks for the input, my fan settings are still the same, i need to get that changed def, is getting a tune the only way to change the settings for the fans?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Fan settings can be changed with the handheld units as well as custom tuning.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thread Information