408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

Pros and Cons No Maf

i recently built my 408 and i am thinkin about doing away with my maf all together anyways just wanted to know the pros and cons and wether its worth it or not

thanks,

Lance

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

When in doubt, leave the maf on. I really don't believe you gain much power w/o the MAF. You gain alittle throttle response and if you bracket race, you'll be more consistent w/o a maf. But if your not bracket racing, I'd just leave it on. It takes alot of time logging and stuff to get an SD tune right.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post
    When in doubt, leave the maf on. I really don't believe you gain much power w/o the MAF. You gain alittle throttle response and if you bracket race, you'll be more consistent w/o a maf. But if your not bracket racing, I'd just leave it on. It takes alot of time logging and stuff to get an SD tune right.
    If your tune isn't a hack, the VE is fully tuned before the MAF anyway... it doesn't add extra time as it was already a necessity. It's actually QUICKER than MAF tuning as one the VE is done, the car is about done as well. If you run the MAF it must be re-enabled at that point for it's calibration.

What are the cam specs and SCR for this engine in question?

red
    2002 SS

cam is a 248/254 .612/624 112lsa tsp giant im not sure on compression i didnt do the bottom end i would imagine 11.5-1 or in that ball park. and once i got the windage tray fixed and washers on it i was gonna pm you, frost to do my mail order tune. the reason i wanna delete the maf is because my tb is 92mm my lid is 92 mm but my maf is stock so i think 85mm and since your air intake is only as big as its smallest part i was thinking i should delete it instead of waste money on a aftermarket maf

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've went back and forth between the maf and speed density the last year or two. I went back to CLSD and just pulled the screen on my maf and picked up .13 at the track vs this spring running the maf. Like frost said, if the ve table is nailed down it's no big deal but you'll need that ve table nailed down.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by lancesT/A View Post
    cam is a 248/254 .612/624 112lsa tsp giant im not sure on compression i didnt do the bottom end i would imagine 11.5-1 or in that ball park. and once i got the windage tray fixed and washers on it i was gonna pm you, frost to do my mail order tune. the reason i wanna delete the maf is because my tb is 92mm my lid is 92 mm but my maf is stock so i think 85mm and since your air intake is only as big as its smallest part i was thinking i should delete it instead of waste money on a aftermarket maf

That's a tall order for a mail order tune! Something like that HAS to be seen in person by a tuner and tuned with a wideband. A mail order will get it up and driving but it has to be worked on first hand.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    That's a tall order for a mail order tune! Something like that HAS to be seen in person by a tuner and tuned with a wideband. A mail order will get it up and driving but it has to be worked on first hand.
    I wasn't going to say anything but I was thinking it.

red
    2002 SS

i agree but i need to drive it to the tune place and with that setup on stock computer the damn doesnt even wanna idle lol i need to do something to get it up there

Thread Information