Black
    1998 Trans am

Programming shift points 98 T/A 4l60e

Can someone help me out here, I'm using EFILive tuning software, and I cant seem to get the trans to shift into 3rd gear when I want it to. I have the mph set low so I can control it with rpm. 1st to second is spot on at 6000 rpm but the 2nd to 3rd shift goes to 6440 before it shifts, I have it set to shift at 5900 rpm's. I had to raise the rev limiter to 6500 because it was hitting it. My motor is pretty much stock so it is nosing over above 6000 rpm's and it is costing me et, not to mention, I dont want to wind it that high.
    Is there another table that can be taking over and not letting it shift. I'm new at this and just learning. Thanks for your help.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

sounds like you might be having 3/4 clutch pack issues. you can raise the line pressure for the 2-3 shift to compensate.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1998 Trans am

Hmmmmm? I havent changed the shift pressures yet, only reduced the torque reduction. What do the 3-4 clutches have to do with the 2-3 shift?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

two things have to happen to shift from 2nd to 3rd. the 2-4 band has to let go of the drum (this is 2nd gear) and the 3-4 clutch pack (has 6 clutches) has to engage to make 3rd gear happen. if the clearances are too large between the clutches (from excessive wear), it takes longer to engage the clutches together. whe nthis happens, they keep slipping and you bang off the rev limitier because they won't fully engage.

for 4th to happen, the 2-4 band re-engages onto the forward drum.

Black
    1998 Trans am

Thanks, that makes much more sense now. Guess its time for a new trans this winter. Bad things happen to the drivetrain when you start running 12's.

at 11s even worse.

Black
    1998 Trans am

I can only imagine, but hopefully I'll be there next year when I get rid of the ls1 intake and the stock cam.
    98 Trans Am, A4, 3.73, 3200 Vigilante, LCA's, reloc brackets, sfc's, panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, XS long tube headers, ORY, SLP CNC ported heads and all the free mods tuned with EFILive.
    Best 1/4 et 12.53
    Best 1/4 mph 107.78
    Best 60' 1.71

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird View Post
    Can someone help me out here, I'm using EFILive tuning software, and I cant seem to get the trans to shift into 3rd gear when I want it to. I have the mph set low so I can control it with rpm. 1st to second is spot on at 6000 rpm but the 2nd to 3rd shift goes to 6440 before it shifts, I have it set to shift at 5900 rpm's. I had to raise the rev limiter to 6500 because it was hitting it. My motor is pretty much stock so it is nosing over above 6000 rpm's and it is costing me et, not to mention, I dont want to wind it that high.
    Is there another table that can be taking over and not letting it shift. I'm new at this and just learning. Thanks for your help.
    If you can email me your tune and a run log, I might be able to set it up for you. I tune with efilive and hpt. Email me at edcmat-l1@msn.com and I'll give you a link to my site. Cant post it cause I'm not a sponsor.
    I'll tell you how I need the log configured.

Thread Information