Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pro-tune, or self-tune?

This is a discussion on Pro-tune, or self-tune? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so if my car is stock how much more hp could I get from a tune and what are the ...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

so if my car is stock how much more hp could I get from a tune and what are the credits ?

and so u have to have a laptop ?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

you get 8 credits with the base hptuners package. I would suggest you pay the extra $150 for the pro package as well which allows you to capture data without a laptop in the vehicle at all times.

I can't tell u how much power you'll gain by tuning definitively. I can tell you that on my car with the stock tune, I can't spin the tires at a roll in 1st gear. However, with my tuned program running the car is able to break the wheels loose from a roll in 1st and definitely has significantly more power in the upper RPM ranges (>4krpm).

Silver
    2002 WS6 TA

hey eagel can you help me get started? Just got a CAI LT,ORY. I got an ses code thought I disabled it. Trying to learn the Fuel/air stuff but afraid of doing damage.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 1flynDO View Post
    hey eagel can you help me get started? Just got a CAI LT,ORY. I got an ses code thought I disabled it. Trying to learn the Fuel/air stuff but afraid of doing damage.
    post your tune and any recent logs that you have, assuming you have some

Onyx Black
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I'm hoping to find someone in the KC area with this program who would tune my car for cheap.... I just can't justify giving a shop $500 to do it, thats raping somone in my opinion especially when they don't warranty the tune.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Buy it and go play! Have fun while learning. It's not like you have a big money race to win next week so do it yourself and have fun once again.
    Don't be scared to play with things and see what you think.
    You can always fall back on old tunes.
    Make the car the way you want it to drive. It's not all about max power like some think your talking about a street car NOT a race car.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Buy it and go play! Have fun while learning. It's not like you have a big money race to win next week so do it yourself and have fun once again.
    Don't be scared to play with things and see what you think.
    You can always fall back on old tunes.
    Make the car the way you want it to drive. It's not all about max power like some think your talking about a street car NOT a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    so if my car is stock how much more hp could I get from a tune and what are the credits ?

and so u have to have a laptop ?
    I can help you with this one. My 02 SS convertable was bone stock at the time I purchased HPtuners.
    (Keep in mind I am not computer savy, and I had to read and reread everything to figure this thing out and ask tons of questions, so I started with the most basics of tuning on a laptop) I am an old school carburator tuner and is part of what I do for a living, computers are very intimidating for me.

My car in stock trim ran a best of 13.78 at 101 mph and a few 13.80's,,,not steller, but for a 3,820 lbs. race weight it wasn't shabby for a little motor.

I learned how to log first, and found my fuel trims out of wack with the stock tune, couldn't believe it but bank 2 LTFT's was sometimes off the screen.
    I started with fuel, using LTFT's only, no wideband was used. AFter dialing in the VE table close enough to make me happy, I dialed in the MAF pretty close and like magic,,,,now logging the LTFT's everything was in order and working as it should.
    As this point I threw a little timing in it here and there. Played around with torque management (only removed 50% at first) Then went back to the track.
    I was rewarded with consistent 13.40's at 104 mph with no less than 3 passes at 13.44 back to back. This thing was deadly consistent and picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph, running the same 60 foot times as before. Not too bad for some basic tuning from someone that has trouble running a computer. Thats probably a solid 25 HP on a bone stock vehicle if I had to guess. But I prefer track times to baseline my improvements.
    It was well worth the money, although still a learning curve for me, I have relief and pleasure knowing I can do anything to the car I need to.
    Owning one of these cars without tuning software is like have an apple pie in front of you with no fork to eat it with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information