Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

which power programmer works best?

This is a discussion on which power programmer works best? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 Were can i find this HPtuner? I bought mine here. KYspeed.com Though, many places are dealers ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_ws6 View Post
    Were can i find this HPtuner?
    I bought mine here.

KYspeed.com

Though, many places are dealers for them.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

So there's no best way to go for exhaust there all pretty much the same?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

So there's no best way to go for exhaust there all pretty much the same?
    No.. each has a different purpose.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Man its been that way since 06 when I bought it. Most of the people that I have talked to says that it is still in a decent operating range and as long as it still raising when the rpms raise its ok.

Mine on the hottest days at idle in D drops down to around 25psi and it scares the hell outta me but it will be like 65 at idle in d when its cold...

Oh well new engine is always in the plans

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    No.. each has a different purpose.
    So which is the one that can increase my HP?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

All of them.

What are your plans for the car???

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

totaly depends on what you have done to your car...What you are planning for your car...And what you want to use your car for...

just hit us up with some info and we'll take care of ya =D

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

I just have a k&n intake system. My planning for upgrades are to get a F.A.S.T intake manifold, throttle body, cam and lt header with exhaust. And going to use it for racing.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

The only thing i have in it is a K&N intake system. But in the next couple of weeks i'm getting Flowmaster mufflers. There is someone here that is selling a superchip max tuner for $100 is this a good deal?
    for about the same cash frost will get you more and safer.

So what would be the best exhaust system for my trans am?
    magnaflow is the best it flow good to 500 hp and you can get it at a good $

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Smile

Thanks for the info guys you really helped.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Silver
    '00 TransAm WS/6

Just to add my 2 cents....

I have a '00 TransAm WS/6. My friend has a '00 Camaro SS.

The significant changes on mine were mostly air flow.

SLP Air lid
    MAF sensor
    Smooth bellows
    Borla Y pipe
    Lightened (15lb) flywheel

I don't know the complete mod list for the Camaro SS, since they were all done before she bought it, but as far as I can tell it's only a Borla muffler.

She got her Camaro SS first, while I was driving a regular '98 TransAm. I've been driving Firebirds since the late 80's. She started buying Camaro's in the late 90's (1998-ish), after meeting me.

While I had the '98 T/A, hers was definately quicker.

When I got the '00 WS/6, they had the same performance. I could drive either one interchangeably. The only real difference was the sound. Hers is louder. You can always hear the exhaust, which can get annoying on a long trip.

After I did the above, mine is only louder when I hit the gas. Cruising at (or slightly above, honest) interstate speeds, I don't hear my exhaust. I hear my tires, and the wind, but otherwise it's nice and quiet.

Now, mine revs up much faster. Part of that is the flywheel, and part is the airflow work. It accelerates faster. The only downside is downshifting. If I downshift, it doesn't slow down like hers. The brakes still work the same though, so it isn't a big deal.

So... Don't change your muffler to make more power. Make other significant changes, and don't be annoying with the loud exhaust. If you've done enough other changes to need to improve the muffler, then do it.

I don't have any intention of changing mine anytime soon. I don't go racing as much as I'd like. I do drive it every day. People try to race me. It's very very rare that there's a faster car than me. I had a C5 Z06 Corvette play with me a little bit. He lives in my neighborhood, but we never happened to be leaving at the same time. We came out of the neighborhood from a red light. A kid with a noisy rice burner was being obnoxious, so the Z06 dusted him. I knew it would happen, so I stayed on him. We ran from 0 to 85 in ... well ... not very long. Being mature enough to know we don't like paying for tickets and jacked up insurance rates, we knew it was fun, and both coasted back down to the speed limit.

So, I know my car can perform as well as a C05 Z06 'vette at least 0 to 85. That was enough to remind me that my car is quick enough.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I don't have to have the fastest, baddest car on the road, but it's pretty damned nice. There is a rule with performance mods that everyone will learn someday. No matter how much time, effort, and money into your car AND honing your driving skills, there will ALWAYS be someone with a faster car, or is a better driver than you. So, build it out so you're happy. Don't build it out so far that you can't use it the way you want (like driving to work every day). Also don't build it beyond your ability to drive. Slow upgrades are your friend, so you can avoid killing yourself, when you go from 300hp to 500+hp.

With what I've done, I still get 26mpg on the highway, so it doesn't break me to consider taking a road trip. I'm going on a 500 mile trip next weekend, and I'm not worried about the fuel costs. I'll spend just over $100 in gas round trip, which is cheaper than flying and renting a car that I won't enjoy driving. If I had modded the crap out of my car so I had 500+hp, but was only getting 15mpg, I'd be spending over $200 just for fuel.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Check this out

So what would be the best exhaust system for my trans am?
    Check out mine and see what you think! I had flows on mine when i frist got it and 2 weeks later cut it off. I hated the sound and i did my homework with some of my friends and decided to make my own. Now i love it! Oh my friend has an 06 GTO and did a dyno tune with flows and it killed his hp, so i made a custome exhust for him and took it back and he is well pleased with it. See more of us on youtube under my screen name mklbiy.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodz28 View Post
    Check out mine and see what you think! I had flows on mine when i frist got it and 2 weeks later cut it off. I hated the sound and i did my homework with some of my friends and decided to make my own. Now i love it! Oh my friend has an 06 GTO and did a dyno tune with flows and it killed his hp, so i made a custome exhust for him and took it back and he is well pleased with it. See more of us on youtube under my screen name mklbiy.
    That sounds nice what kind of mufflers are you using there?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

None

That sounds nice what kind of mufflers are you using there?
    I made my one Y pipe and thanks!

red

yeah man good mods iv got a 4.80 lift cam, 80mm throttle body, headers, and my computer has been re programed by fast chip if you are going to spend the money and can wait just do it all at the same time it will save you a tune unless you are going to buy a tuner .

red

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodz28 View Post
    I made my one Y pipe and thanks!
    how did you make you pipe man?

Black
    99 WS6

I'm looking for something that screams at wot but not much drove cruising down the interstate with my 2 year old in the back...i had magnaflows on the caddy and they were great. i'll probably stick with magnaflows but just wanted some opinions before i did anything.

you can hear the exhaust of the caddy over my friends foxbody in the video..

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

It has been a long time since I talked about tuners, so I will start with a question. What is the issues with the Predator tuner? I have a 01WS6 with a custom tune and I enjoyed an immediate improment in power,off line take off, passing and racing. I even raced a crouch rocket(Harley) and I gave him Hell. Could of been the driver. I am saying, if you are going to use your car for street performance and strip some time a custom tune over e-mail will be okay. I do like what I am hearing about Frost!
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

where i live the cheapest dyno tune i found is 650 bucks and i dont see anyone near me with performance shops to dyno my car... my car is going to be very limited and mainly bolt ons with a cut off but the guy at the shop told me i can expect atleast 20hp gain... i mean its kind of pricey but what kind of gains can i expect from a programmer compared to a tune and oh yeah!! WTF IS FROST iv never heard of it but im from michigan so maybe thats why

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by smkn gts View Post
    where i live the cheapest dyno tune i found is 650 bucks and i dont see anyone near me with performance shops to dyno my car... my car is going to be very limited and mainly bolt ons with a cut off but the guy at the shop told me i can expect atleast 20hp gain... i mean its kind of pricey but what kind of gains can i expect from a programmer compared to a tune and oh yeah!! WTF IS FROST iv never heard of it but im from michigan so maybe thats why
    I'm a guy not a thing The guy at the shop is telling you a little high (selling the service) but he is right.

I do mail order tuning that is primarily aimed at on bolt-ons cars (as well as full dyno tuning and software support for other tuners through email). If the car is in proper mechanical order, I can get it to within just a couple HP of what you can do on the dyno in most cases. It is much more cost effective for bolt ons cars than full tuning on a dyno. The price and link to my site are in the signature of this post. Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information