Thread: PCM for less

RED / GOLD PEARL
    95 TRANS AM

PCM for less

I sent my PCM out to pcmforless. I have not noticed any substantial performance gains What the heck?
    I have a 95 A4 T/A with: Ram air hood, K&N filter, hollowed out cats, Flow master 2 chamber catback, upgraded torque conv., new plugs, energy susp. trans mount, koni yellow rear shocks, 18" light weight wheels and just got my 4L60E trans fully rebuilt w/ perf. shift kit (post PCM reprog.) Any input? Thanks

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinfox30 View Post
    I sent my PCM out to pcmforless. I have not noticed any substantial performance gains What the heck?
    I have a 95 A4 T/A with: Ram air hood, K&N filter, hollowed out cats, Flow master 2 chamber catback, upgraded torque conv., new plugs, energy susp. trans mount, koni yellow rear shocks, 18" light weight wheels and just got my 4L60E trans fully rebuilt w/ perf. shift kit (post PCM reprog.) Any input? Thanks
    what did they tell you to expect? I've never used that company before...did they say tunes usually net you 10hp...? 15hp...? 20hp...? etc?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Red
    99 Z28

You have no mods basically. You probably picked up maybe 10hp-20hp if that. Mail order tunes aren't spot on unless your datalogging a lot. You basically got a tune that kinda worked in someone else's setup that had close to the same mods as you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just a note -- if the PCM for Less tune modified your transmission line pressures... and you added a modded valve body to your transmission after the fact, then you are probably running some pretty high line pressures. I had this issue when I installed a Performabuilt Transmission and failed to adjust my tune to back things down a bit.

RED / GOLD PEARL
    95 TRANS AM

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    what did they tell you to expect? I've never used that company before...did they say tunes usually net you 10hp...? 15hp...? 20hp...? etc?
    They claim up to 25 HP. I was realistically expecting 10 but felt no difference at all.

RED / GOLD PEARL
    95 TRANS AM

I see... thanks guys. In the spring when it comes out of the garage I plan on going with some 3.73's next.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On a totally stock setup, my understanding is that a tune will net you around 10-15 hp. With aftermarket components, such as headers, exhaust, intake, etc. then you can see something greater. I will say that the tune in and of itself did not result in any appreciable change per my "butt dyno", however, the engine did feel more responsive and the shifting on our A4 was definitely improved.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Really suggest you consider using Frost for your next mail order tune. Using someone who really knows the LS engines versus someone who has a catalog of "kind of right" tunes can make all the difference.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

RED / GOLD PEARL
    95 TRANS AM

The thing is since I have a 95 it is an LT1. Does frost know them as well as the lLs1's ?

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Really suggest you consider using Frost for your next mail order tune. Using someone who really knows the LS engines versus someone who has a catalog of "kind of right" tunes can make all the difference.

RED / GOLD PEARL
    95 TRANS AM

Thanks pajeff02

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    On a totally stock setup, my understanding is that a tune will net you around 10-15 hp. With aftermarket components, such as headers, exhaust, intake, etc. then you can see something greater. I will say that the tune in and of itself did not result in any appreciable change per my "butt dyno", however, the engine did feel more responsive and the shifting on our A4 was definitely improved.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just a note -- if the PCM for Less tune modified your transmission line pressures... and you added a modded valve body to your transmission after the fact, then you are probably running some pretty high line pressures. I had this issue when I installed a Performabuilt Transmission and failed to adjust my tune to back things down a bit.
    this caught my eye too.....if they raised the line pressures it's not a good idea to then also run a shift kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by shaolinfox30 View Post
    The thing is since I have a 95 it is an LT1. Does frost know them as well as the lLs1's ?
    You are right, my bad. Frost does not show LT1s on the web site. I'll go crawl back in my hole now. Someone poke a stick in when its spring.

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

Mail order tunes are always much more conservative than in-house. Alvin and his guys/gals at PCM For Less know their stuff, but they are car guys too, and they don't want to blow up your car anymore than you do!

Thread Information