black
    1959 Apache

PCM from different "year"

Two questions...

1. I have been looking at part numbers for LS1 PCMs. Let's discuss Camaro's for example. The 1998 is its own breed, the 1999-2000 are the same AC Delco PN, and the 2001-2002 are another PN. If I had a 2002 engine and harness with the red and blue plugs, but for some reason, did not have the PCM that came with it, and I found a 2001 PCM for an LS1 Camaro with the same rear axle and transmission, would they work together without programming being required? How about if the new PCM was for a similar 2000 LS1 Camaro (different PCM PN)? I have looked at the Pins for the PCMs, and they look to be going to the same things. I know a 1998 would not work.

2. If I ordered a new PCM from GM (assume a GM crate LS1 engine is used) and had them program it with the right year, tranmission, axle, etc. program, I know that would obviously work. What VIN would be registered on the PCM? Doesn't HPTuners need a VIN for credits and such and to know what options are available for your PCM? If so, what happens and how does this all work?

Thanks.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

1. the harness shouldn't matter. maybe a few pinout might be different, but don't think so.

2. what you would do is read entire the PCM with hptuners. then, if you want to make changes, you will use credits to do so.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    1959 Apache

Can I use credits to go from a 2000 OS, for example, to upgrade to a 2002 OS?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

basically what you will be doing is a write entire. just like a completely different PCM. you will use up two credits.

black
    1959 Apache

If I have an LS6 engine without a PCM and get a PCM from a LS1 Camaro (salvage), for example, can I open the PCM in HPTuners while it is hooked to my engine and do a write entire for a LS6 engine to it? If I could avoid using the GM service department, that'd be great. Where would I get an LS6 OS for it?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

well, the LS6 never came in a camaro. what you would do is compare the files from your camaro to a z06. then copy them over. then do a write calibration to your PCM.

you can get files from www.hptuners.com through the repository.

black
    1959 Apache

Exactly, the LS6 never came in a Camaro....

I was asking that if my LS6 engine had no computer with it, and I was able to get a PCM from a Camaro...how would I go about updating it for the LS6....

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

as i said in the post above yours.

black
    1959 Apache

Would there be an LS6/automatic bin in the repository? I'm trying to decide if HPTuners will do what I want. Thanks.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

hptuners will do what you want. i use it. you won't find a LS6/auto bin anywhere. the LS6 never came with an auto. only manual. what you will be changing is the engine parameters. timing, fuel, etc... has nothing to do with the transmission.

what you will do is compare the bin from your camaro PCM and a bin from a Z06. then do a copy feature. this will import all of the tables from the Z06 into your camaro tables. then, do a write calibration to your PCM. all done. you may have to do some tweaking to perfect it.

your car will start up and run, using the stock camaro PCM. it's just a matter of tuning, from there.

Thread Information