PCM

This is a discussion on PCM within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Good morning. I tried a search but could not find this info. How do you reset the PCM ? I ...

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

PCM

Good morning. I tried a search but could not find this info. How do you reset the PCM ? I tried some Lucas octane booster and now I am getting an SES light, I think the Lucas might have caused the light. The car still runs good. Thanks in advance.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
    Good morning. I tried a search but could not find this info. How do you reset the PCM ? I tried some Lucas octane booster and now I am getting an SES light, I think the Lucas might have caused the light. The car still runs good. Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried disconecting the negative battery terminal?

Scott

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Yeah I did that the SES light is still on.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Anyone with a scanner can read the code and reset your SES light. You can also buy limited function code readers at most auto parts stores for not a whole lot of money. They are very handy to have and work with all OBDII equipped vehicles.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Thanks guys Auto Zone reset the light. If it comes back on the dealer says the cats are under a recall. They threw code 0420 bad cats. I think the octane booster caused the light.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The octane booster didn't cause the light (or actually do anything at all, positive or negative). The cars have a recall on cats because they have issues lasting their required life span.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you experiencing driveability issues, such as sluggishness or loss of power? Like Steve said, the octane boost would not have resulted in a trouble code. Our cats had issues from the beginning and are covered under an extended warranty.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Why did you use octane booster ? Was it because you were getting a lot of pinging ? I had the same situation with my '02. Turned out to be the defective cat, which the dealer replaced at no cost. Viola ! No more pinging and no more SES lite.

Rip

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Ripinator View Post
    Why did you use octane booster ? Was it because you were getting a lot of pinging ? I had the same situation with my '02. Turned out to be the defective cat,....

That was my assumption when reading this as well.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Ripinator View Post
    Why did you use octane booster ? Was it because you were getting a lot of pinging ? I had the same situation with my '02. Turned out to be the defective cat, which the dealer replaced at no cost. Viola ! No more pinging and no more SES lite.

Rip
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    That was my assumption when reading this as well.
    +3 I think it's a cat issue too. Octane booster is useless really unless you drive something with a carb..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Yes it pings when hot. I tried a quick fix that did not work. Will the code come back up? The auto zone guy deleted it. My dealer said they would replace the cats but they need to see the code.

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

It still runs like a scalded dog!! By the way how does a plugged cat cause the engine to ping, just curious.
    Last edited by Retired Cop; 01-28-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes it pings when hot. I tried a quick fix that did not work. Will the code come back up? The auto zone guy deleted it. My dealer said they would replace the cats but they need to see the code.

If it is indeed a cat on the way out, the code will return and the SES light will come on.

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

It still runs like a scalded dog!! By the way how does a plugged cat cause the engine to ping, just curious.
    My car ran like a scalded dog too, but the SES lite kept coming back on after being reset and the engine kept pinging.

I suspect a plugged cat causes temperatures to get real high, which really screws up the info going to the PCM / computer.

Just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the car to the dealer and get that cat fixed. Right now. Ya hear ?

Rip

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

About how long will it be before the light comes on? I have an appointment for Monday. The light is still off because the code was erased. Is the code still stored even though it was erased??

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

About how long will it be before the light comes on? I have an appointment for Monday. The light is still off because the code was erased. Is the code still stored even though it was erased??
    The code is not stored, but the bad cat will cause it to post again, which will turn on the SES lite. . . again. . . and again. . . and again.

Rip

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Well I guess the cats are ok the light still has not come back on, its been 200 miles

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

FWIIW: Our '98 Durango trips the SES every so often with a "catalytic efficiency" or "high O2 voltage" code. So long as it is running well and the crappy mileage does not get crappier, I reset it and keep driving. Could be gremlins.

Thread Information