Thread: P0440 Code

Black
    2002 WS6

P0440 Code

I need a little help. I have an 02, Firebird, WS6. I'm getting a P0440 code and I read hear it is often associated with the gas cap being loose or missing. I have checked the cap and it appears to be fine.

Now a little back ground. When purchased the car had a stereo base tube mounted on the rear deck. I removed the bass tube and began smelling gas when the car was filled with gas. I soon found the base tube mounts had been screwed into the gas tank. I managed to fill these holes with JB weld and stopped the leakage of gas fumes. This was 6-months ago and no further problems were discovered.

Could these screw holes some how cause the P0440 code or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P0440 turns off the MIL/SES light after 3 consecutive ignition cycles w/o showing a failure - but stays in history for 40 cycles. Sounds like this is a new problem not related to the screws in the tank from 6 months ago. Other things can cause P0440, gas cap is the most common and easiest to check. Look it up at www.gearchatter.com And welcome to the board.

black
    97 ss

get a good look under the vehicle chances r that a componant of the EVAP system is damaged..ie.. a hose, evap canister.Also if it smells of gas under the hood check the fuel line schrader valve.

BGM
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by joevee1446 View Post
    I soon found the base tube mounts had been screwed into the gas tank.

Still not as bad as the supervisor at work who drilled into a live electrical box. Kapow!

Got this code a couple of weeks ago. Inspected cap gasket with a flashlight, looked a little worn. So I bought a cap at Autozone just for it's gasket (not sold seperately). Pulled the old gasket off, cleaned the gasket seat on the cap and filler neck. Popped on new gasket, problem fixed.

I suppose I could have gone to dealership to see if I could buy just the gasket, but the AZ was on my way home.

I know JB Weld is good for repairing metal gas tanks, but plastic?

Black
    2002 WS6

Not a JB Weld Commercial

Angel: That JB Weld is my miracle cure for everything. It worked on the gas tank and I believe the gas tank will give out before the JB Weld does. I use it on everything to include fixing duck/goose decoys. Stuff is great.

Thanks and I'll try the gas cap first.

Thread Information