Black
    1999 Z28

One of my Worst Nightmares is coming true

Well Heres what happened. I was driven home from work last week and my car started running a little rough and the a/f meter which usually races was stuck all the way on the rich side. I thought maybe I had fouled a plug which wouldnt surprise as the car usually runs rich, so I pulled the plugs out and they looked fine but none of them where gapped right nor did any of them have the same gap so just to be safe I bought 8 new plugs and proceeded to change out the old plugs when I noticed what would become the beginning of my worst nightmare.
    My wiring harness was laying on the header. My first thought was "Im f*cked now". Now I had no Idea what wires where burnt through so after I got over the fact that I wasnt going to be driving the car for awhile I pulled the coil pack assembly off so I could reach the wiring harness. After getting the wire coduit off I found out two wires had been completly burned through and one had most of the insulation burned. I had no Idea what this wires go to but I proceeded to solder in some new wire to patch up what had been burned.
    So I start the car and let it warm up but now the check engine light is on but I thought maybe it would go away after the car got warm. Well I was way wrong. I drove the car for about five minutes and ran like shit the whole time and the SES light started flashing. So I got back home and turned the key off. The car kept running so now Im like WTF. So I pop the hood and the coil packs are sparking between eachother on the passenger side. I guess one of the plug wires wasnt on all the way but I didnt stick my hand in to check as the car was still running.
    So I unhooked the battery thinking it would kill the car. Nope, I was wrong I forgot about the alternator. So I ended up unplugging the MAF sensor to kill it. So now I have a $15,000 car that wont run, I have to be at work at 5am the next morning and its 15 degrees out. Im pretty pissed off at this point. Not to mention the day before the Z28 started acting up I bought a honda civic for $500. The civic quit running the day I bought it. Hence the saying you get what you pay for.
    So after I get past my emotional break down its now about 11:30 pm I call my boss, wake him up, and tell him Im going to have to use a floating holiday to fix my car. So I get up real early the next day walk about 2 miles to my girlfriends to get her car because she still has not gotten her license. She's 19 yeah she should have them but why would she get them if mom and dad will do it for her right.
    Now I go to advanced but some wire, solderless connectors, etc. and proceed to patch this whole section of the wiring harness. I get finished made damn sure the harness was zip tied away from the header I get in the car fire it up and turn it off to make sure it will turn off now. It does so I fire it back up let it warm up and I go for a test drive.
    It runs like a champ no SES light, no hesitation, the a/f meter is acting like normal. I was pretty stoked. It was short lived after about five minutes its starts acting up again. I stop, pop the hood, and the damn wiring harness has melted because I didnt put any heat reflective tape on it.
    I reused the heat tape that was on it before i fixed but I didnt have time to patch again because by this time it was time to go to bed so I could be up at 3:30 in the morning for work. I ended up driving the car for a week with the wiring harness being messed up.
    Now Its friday night and I take the time to fix it right and used solder and not crimp connectors. I also bought a role of heat reflective tape that is good for 1100 degrees F (radiant). At this point Im pretty much sick of f*cking with this thing but I soldier through it and get the harness patched back up. I start the car drive it home from my parents (about 20 min drive) the car runs great but the SES light is on. The next morning I took it to advance and had the guy clear the codes. It had three codes for o2 sensors and two for air fuel metering. The drive home from advance was a nightmare. I guess when the SES light was on the car wasnt running off the o2 sensors because now that it was off it ran like shit.
    About ten minutes later the SES light comes back on and It runs fine. I guess I f*cked up the wideband o2 sensors or the computer or the wiring. I really dont know but basically Im up shit creek with out a paddle because now I dont have a relaible way to work and the only person I can get a ride with doesnt get there till 8 which is about 3 hours after I need to be there.

Sorry this is so long I just really needed to vent.
    My apoligee's for spelling and grammer

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What wiring harness was resting on the headers?? I can't think of any that would normally be in the area of the exhaust other than the O2 sensor wiring.

Sounds like you had some shitty luck.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

hey guy dont feel too bad i know how you feel.. the second day after i bought my car it threw a rod backing out of my drive way with my dad

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

car trouble will really piss you off...........my car has been down for over 3 weeks, been in 3 different shops and I worked on it also

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

wow whats going on with it

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_badass View Post
    wow whats going on with it
    the tranny (a4) locks up in 3rd gear sometimes

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    the tranny (a4) locks up in 3rd gear sometimes
    that's in the OEM programming...

Black
    1999 Z28

It is the harness for the 02 sensors but The car only has one wideband sensor per header. The other two factory sensors have been programmed out (I think). I was told when I bought the car that all the work was done at Exotic Performance Plus in Fort Wayne, Indiana but I dont think they would just leave a wiring harness flopping around. If I had to guess I would say it was the guy I bought it off of.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    that's in the OEM programming...
    that's what I was kinda wondering....is he talking about the stall locking up or the entire tranny locking up?

the pcm commands the stall to lock up in third with factory settings. I don't have mine lock in third at all anymore and it doesn't lock in 4th until I'm at highway speeds for the most part.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Just saw his other thread, this is not PCM related, and is possibly more extensive than solenoids or their harnesses.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's what I was kinda wondering....is he talking about the stall locking up or the entire tranny locking up?

the pcm commands the stall to lock up in third with factory settings. I don't have mine lock in third at all anymore and it doesn't lock in 4th until I'm at highway speeds for the most part.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76922&page=2

black
    2000 trans am ws6

so i was on my way home from the jersey shore, and was racing around with an 04 m3, 350z, and a cl63 amg. anyway, i finally get to my neighborhood and i notice the car isnt running right. sounds like it was missing or something. also had a loss of power from a stop. have no clue what went wrong.. the ses light came on and started flashing. i have no clue what this means. anybody have an idea?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Get the codes pulled. Flashing SES light usually means multiple misfires detected. Good luck.

-Eagle

Thread Information