new rev limit

This is a discussion on new rev limit within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was wondering what I should set my rev limit and reset my WOT shift points to with my current ...

hugger orange

new rev limit

I was wondering what I should set my rev limit and reset my WOT shift points to with my current mods. I'm using hptuners and have it tuned pretty close for now, but will eventually get a full pro dyno tune. the car has never been on a dyno so I wasn't sure if I am hitting the rev limiter way to early and leaving lots power untouched.
    also any estimates on rwhp?
    04 a4 GTO ls1
    calibrated SLP MAF, cold air/ram air, p&p tb, stock ls6 intake, ported & polished stock 241 heads, 220/224 .570/.580 112lsa cam, 918 comp springs, pacesetter lt's, 3" true duals with super 44's
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I was wondering what I should set my rev limit and reset my WOT shift points to with my current mods. I'm using hptuners and have it tuned pretty close for now, but will eventually get a full pro dyno tune. the car has never been on a dyno so I wasn't sure if I am hitting the rev limiter way to early and leaving lots power untouched.
    also any estimates on rwhp?
    04 a4 GTO ls1
    calibrated SLP MAF, cold air/ram air, p&p tb, stock ls6 intake, ported & polished stock 241 heads, 220/224 .570/.580 112lsa cam, 918 comp springs, pacesetter lt's, 3" true duals with super 44's
    any help would be greatly appreciated!
    What are you currently set at? Sounds like you got a decent setup, except I didn't notice any stall with an A4.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    What are you currently set at? Sounds like you got a decent setup, except I didn't notice any stall with an A4.
    I knew I'd forget something lol
    2,800 tci stall. full cutoff is set at 6,400 rpm now

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I knew I'd forget something lol
    2,800 tci stall. full cutoff is set at 6,400 rpm now
    Kinda a small stall, is it your DD? Otherwise I would say 6200 would be perfect and from what I have read, it seems like a lot of guys with around your setup run 6100-6200 without a problem.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Kinda a small stall, is it your DD? Otherwise I would say 6200 would be perfect and from what I have read, it seems like a lot of guys with around your setup run 6100-6200 without a problem.
    yes I didn't want to go with too high a stall because I do drive it every day. I have had other cars with bigger stalls in them and they just weren't as friendly to drive around town......plus cops look at you quicker when you have to really rev it high to get rolling from a light lol

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The Yank stalls (esp PYE) are very tight under flash which makes them feel much 'smaller' than many other brands. The TCI units that I have tuned on were pretty loose...

I'd likely set your rev limiter at 6600 and depending on what I see on the dyno, shifting would be around 63-6400 most likely

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The Yank stalls (esp PYE) are very tight under flash which makes them feel much 'smaller' than many other brands. The TCI units that I have tuned on were pretty loose...

I'd likely set your rev limiter at 6600 and depending on what I see on the dyno, shifting would be around 63-6400 most likely
    ok thanks Frost! im glad i took your advice on the cam, i think if i would have gotten any of the ones i was looking at at first they would have been too big and i wouldnt have been happy with them

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

over camming is rampant and encouraged in many cases by a lot of keyboard-racers. I have had more than one customer tell me what they want and then go wild on the cam when they thought their recommendation was too small only to swap them out later...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    over camming is rampant and encouraged in many cases by a lot of keyboard-racers. I have had more than one customer tell me what they want and then go wild on the cam when they thought their recommendation was too small only to swap them out later...
    I agree.....when I ordered my 228 they recommended the 233. I didn't want to spin the motor high and wanted it to have decent street manners so I stuck with the 228....glad I did.

That being said I have been thinking about going a little bigger. I will most likely just add a little shot of spray instead.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I agree.....when I ordered my 228 they recommended the 233. I didn't want to spin the motor high and wanted it to have decent street manners so I stuck with the 228....glad I did.

That being said I have been thinking about going a little bigger. I will most likely just add a little shot of spray instead.
    I figure one of these days I'll work on my 87 nissan pulsar and make it my daily driver, then go more wild on the goat when its my weekend toy

Thread Information