Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

NEW! Dual-Flash PCMs run 2 tunes in one PCM

I posted this in some other sections; I don't know why I didn't post it here before now...

The Dual Flash PCM is an exciting advance in the Generation III tuning arsenal based on the Dual Flash boards from OmniTuner. We all know how incredibly capable these factory PCMs are at controlling all types of setups (with custom MAF, 1, 2, and 3 bar operating systems) and now with the ability to store and use TWO COMPELTELY separate calibration files that are chosen at the flip of a switch by the driver, they are stepping into territory that even standalone controllers do not tread through.

We open up good, tested, core PCMs and remove the surface-mount flash memory chip. It is replaced by a board header and a custom board (made by Digital Inflection Corporation) that has TWO flash chips already installed. The switching (or tune selection) is accomplished very easily. We assign an unused PCM pin to carry the switch circuit to the board. Included with the PCM is either a harness terminal or a pre-terminated wire that simply plugs into an un-used hole in the PCM's harness. With the car off, if this wire is grounded, one calibration is selected. If the ground is opened up (floating), the PCM will boot with the second calibration loaded. The finished PCMs are thoroughly tested.

Outside boxes and 'trickery' for nitrous and boost tuning are a thing of the past. Their reliability pales in comparison to the proven technology of our PCMs, and we have made them better. Some obvious applications include:

Nitrous tuning:
    Run a peak N/A tune and then switch over to your nitrous calibration. Run a single stage of nitrous on one calibration and two stages of nitrous with race fuel on the second flash. This is a very useful application because as many of you may already know, to keep cars shifting in the same place with added nitrous often includes lowering commanded shift points. These shift points now work with nitrous, but cause the car to shift too early N/A. There are many more possibilities and combinations.

Boost tuning:
    Run a 'street' or pump-gas tune in one calibration, flip your switch and get a more aggressive AFR and spark map for use with race fuel. Turbo cars can use the switch to not only switch tunes, but to also switch MAP sensors. Run a safe 2bar tune with optimal VE resolution on pump gas; flip the switch and change over to a 3bar MAP sensor and tune for higher boost at the track. Again, the track (or "all-out") tune could contain a more aggressive timing, shifting, and AFR schedule.

Economy tuning:

Use the second flash chip to switch to "economy mode" for fuel savings for trips or for alternate fuels such as E85!

These PCMs will sell for $475 without core exchange. If sending back a working PCM, a $100 core charge will be refunded. That is correct, these units are $375 with exchange (or to convert your current PCM). They also include a pre-terminated and soldered Micro Pack 100w terminal that clicks right into your PCM harness with 10' of automotive (TXL) wire to run to your selector switch. If you already have a solid tune, but like the idea, we can move your tune over to both of the boards. You can take your car to your tuner, select the second side, and have him reprogram it. In some cases, the programming changes can be done here on the bench for an additional fee. This is available for [512K and 1M PCMs] 99-02 Fbodies, 99-04 Vettes, 04 GTO, 04-05 CTS V, and most GenIII based trucks. For any inquiries, please use the contact form on my website (http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/contact.php) or send me a PM.
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-31-2009 at 08:46 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

this is awesome Steve...you always do great work..this looks no different

BLACK
    2004 Monaro

How long does it take to boot up the other calibration? Can u switch over while running?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0 View Post
    How long does it take to boot up the other calibration? Can u switch over while running?
    You have to have the car off. It does not add any time to starting. If you flip the switch while running the car, on next power down and back up it would switch. I imagine the processor would fault if it were able to switch while running.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Thumbs up Nice work

Nice Work

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nice....this has been a long time coming really. Huge benefits for n2o or boosted cars. That's an awesome price too.....be prepared to build a ton of these for people.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Would you be able to do this on a big stuff, or other PCM?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by fil131 View Post
    Would you be able to do this on a big stuff, or other PCM?
    This is available for [512K and 1M PCMs] 99-02 Fbodies, 99-04 Vettes, 04 GTO, 04-05 CTS V, and most GenIII based trucks. Big Stuff3 isn't an OEM PCM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

This is so awesome. What a major break through.

green
    98 formula

So this is not available for a 98?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No, no 98s.

This sounds ugly, but if I had my way, I wouldn't even tune 97-98s (or would at least charge more!)

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No, no 98s.

This sounds ugly, but if I had my way, I wouldn't even tune 97-98s (or would at least charge more!)

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Man this is so awesome. Ive been thinking about something like this as I like to race my car but also DD it so I like to have some mileage with the power. This has just became a future mod. Keep up the great work.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

No, no 98s.

go to hell steve j/k

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

that is incredible. now i kind of wish mine wasn't a '98

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

No, no 98s.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Loves my 99

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I have 2 boys who will be 16 before long.

This might be a mod I make without telling them. Have a tuned down version with a speed limiter and have the switch hidden somewhere. Or I can just go with my orignal plan "Hell no you're not gonna drive my car"

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I have 2 boys who will be 16 before long.

This might be a mod I make without telling them. Have a tuned down version with a speed limiter and have the switch hidden somewhere. Or I can just go with my orignal plan "Hell no you're not gonna drive my car"
    Was thinking this earlier, one tune for performance, one for economy with a rev/speed limiter. I would just keep them from driving though.

green
    98 formula

No, no 98s.

Ok slightly off subject. What will I need to do to change mine to 99& up? I planned on a big stuff or fast system in a year or so but this may be a better option.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It requires swapping around terminals at the PCM connector, replacing the ECT with a later model 2-wire version, and having a segment swap done with EFILive (or manually, whatever) to get the fuel gauge working correctly and to be able to force the 98 VIN into the late-model OS.

It definitely opens many possibilities; the late model PCMs are powerful and flexible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information