Need tuner help in New Jersey

Need a tuner/tuner shop to adjust timing on my 2000 WS6, I'm getting pinging under load. Located in Flemington NJ, I'm willing to drive to PA/south jersey. I'm also interested in purchasing tuning software so I can do this myself. Thanks.
    Chris

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

EFI live and HP tuners are some software to check out, especially if you are going to do some modding on your car. Is your car stock?

After doing some research I'm going to go with efi live. I've done intake and free mods. Is the avg price for this $900?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I use Bruce, he is located in Rockaway and he is priced right for a chassis dyno operator.
    Bruces Online Speed Shop - Dyno
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thanks keith

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how do you know it's getting knock? Did you log the car?

Tim, I'll try to sum it up for you here:

I first got a mail tune back in jan from pcm4less (ohio) for my 3.73 gear install. Seemed to run very well and a lot more power. However, any time I drove over 70 cruising I would get a random misfire so temp fix for this was drive 65 and under. I replaced all 8 coil packs in march with new truck coils acd585, replaced wires with granatelli high temp boots and put 8 ngk tr55s 3931 in. Replaced all 8 injectors with rebuilt stocks from fuel injector connection. Still got misfire over 70.

Decided to install Ls6 valley cover with ws6store oil catch can and in the process replaced both knock sensors from napa and harness from dealer. Put together and received a 327 front knock sensor code. Took back apart to find a pinched harness, bought new harness and installed again. This time after together I received 327 and 332 codes front and rear knock sensor.

Took apart again, no pinched wires anywhere. Sensors torqued to 15 lbft. Voltmeter readings were correct. I put back together but this time installed a BBk intake manifold with 85 mm BBk throttle body, ftp ram air kit, ftp 98 mm air lid with an 02 corvette z06 descreened maf.

Drove to a Black Bear Performance meet in NJ for a in person drive tune. Tuned for 85 mm maf and coil dwell times etc. Had BBP deactivate both knock sensors (both codes kept coming back during the drive tune) and set timing based on making 10 or so WOT runs until we didnt hear pinging at high rpms, however there appeared a rattle at lower rpms under load which was slightly different than the pinging.

Got back and tore the front end apart, banging on exhaust pipes etc trying to figure out the cause of the rattle. Turned out both hood prop rods were done for and rattling horribly when the hood was closed. Removed both and took the ws6 for a drive, the annoying hood rattle was gone but in place, with windows up and radio off, there is a definite pinging from the engine under load/acceleration.

Bought 3 gallons of xylol xylene at home depot and mixed it with 13.## gallons of bp 93 gasoline with a small bottle of upper cylinder lubricant and 50 miles into this tank I'm still getting the same pinging with no loss of power.

All I can think of is the timing is way too far advanced..I haven't touched the stock exhaust, just blocked the egr and air ports so I don't believe it's an exhaust leak. I'm open to all suggestions, this sound under load kills me to hear.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you know how much timing they gave you? Personally I would want to get those knock sensors working just so you have some kind of safety net. You can ohm those sensors out to make sure you didn't get bad sensors out of the box (93-107k)....wouldn't be the first time I've heard of that. Do you wash the engine with a garden hose and did you wash it with the new sensors in place? Water gets under the intake and kills those sensors.

As far as your knock it would be nice to have those sensors working so you can log knock and see where and how much you're getting. How many miles on the car? You could try using seafoam on it in case you have carbon build up causing detonation.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I sent you a PM. Thanks

I'll get back to you later tonight

Tim, I agree with the knock sensors..I need to get them turned back on. Never wash the engine bay with hose. Voltmeter shows all good readings. Only use top tier gas 93 octane and seafoam every few fillups. Xylene being a 118 octane paint thinner will make sure there's no carbon buildup with a 3 gallon concentration.

Tomorrow I am going to remove both a.i.r. block plates and egr block plate and ensure a good seal with copper rtv on both sides of the gaskets.

Not sure of the timing.

A loose egr block plate was causing the rattle under load. Bottom bolt was loose, put in a new gasket and copper rtv'd both sides of it. Nice and quiet now, power picked up and shifts feel better. Thanks for the responses though guys.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

That is good to hear, good job.
    Do you ever go down to Island Drag way or to any meets up in PA? Do you know if the LS1.com guys meet up anytime during the year?

Thanks charles. I just joined this forum this year so I havent been to any yet but I would be down to go. In the intro thread I pm'd you, one of the mods, jeff, talks about a meet in pa in june.

However, I used to go down to atco to support the kasper family in 10.5 outlaw back when I used to work with them.
    Last edited by Inferno WS6; 05-12-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Thread Information