Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mod chip

red
    2000 camaro

mod chip

alright.. i've been talking to some people where i live and unfortunately there are no Chevy dyno shops; only ford/dodge. so, someone told me about mod chips that you can buy and i was curious about this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...mZ330258120675

it says it works.. it says it'll raise the HP 10-35. but will it ACTUALLY preform like it says it will or is it a waste of money? i know people who have done the mod chip way, and this seems to be my best bet for tuning around here.

so, if anyone could give me some technical info about this and could tell me for sure if it will work or not i would greatly appreciate it!

arctic white
    97 firebird

be sure to get the one that says 200+ hp and 30+ mpg for only 19.99 these are the best! dude dont waist your money if you open that little box theres a paper clip that tricks your computer into thinking your running richer but its a bunch of bullshit and will just send codes and make your ses light come on it wont gain you anything its a paper clip....save your money for stickers thoughs will add more hp before a paperclip will

arctic white
    97 firebird

and if you really want to pay to ruin your car they sell these at radioshack for .05 cents to .25 cents and just stick it in your computer its the exact same thing except the one your looking at has a box over it to cover the crap inside it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I saw where frost dropped his mail order price to $125 so you have other options and that's a much much better option than you're looking at. That box is snake oil. Get a real tune or leave it alone. Frost actually has an extremely fast turn around time according to his past customers. Send him a PM and I'm sure he can help you out and give you a much better tune than you're looking at there.

arctic white
    97 firebird

how come there isnt anywhere close to me to get a tune....

arctic white
    97 firebird

i have to drive to san antonio at nelsons to get a tune

10's N/A

All that little box is is just a 1400-1600 ohm resistor, the same kind you can buy at radio shack. It installs inline with the IAT and fools the PCM into believing it is seeing air temperatures of around 35* F. As a result it is supposed to increase timing, but on a write-up I saw where the 'SLP Timing Tricker' was tested, as timing increased so did engine knock and any chance of increased power was offset resulting in no real gain.

All in short, I would say get a real tune if you can afford it.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    All that little box is is just a 1400-1600 ohm resistor, the same kind you can buy at radio shack. It installs inline with the IAT and fools the PCM into believing it is seeing air temperatures of around 35* F. As a result it is supposed to increase timing, but on a write-up I saw where the 'SLP Timing Tricker' was tested, as timing increased so did engine knock and any chance of increased power was offset resulting in no real gain.

All in short, I would say get a real tune if you can afford it.
    there is NO WAY to add timing through the IAT without tuning. At -35deg (109ishKohm) there is no advance or subtraction.

Poster: where are you located in VA?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    there is NO WAY to add timing through the IAT without tuning. At 35deg (109ishKohm) there is no advance or subtraction.
    I am aware of this. I've already did my homework on that.

I found the link to the test by the guys at InstallUniversity. Below is their results with and without the timing tricker, which using a 4700 ohm resistor the PCM read 36-degrees. I found it rather interesting.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_9.202000.htm

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I am aware of this. I've already did my homework on that.

I found the link to the test by the guys at InstallUniversity. Below is their results with and without the timing tricker, which using a 4700 ohm resistor the PCM read 36-degrees. I found it rather interesting.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_9.202000.htm

There is a temp-resistance equivalence chart down towards the bottom of this page on my site:
    http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/400

red
    2000 camaro

wow, wells that's some useful info. btw Frost, i'm in Covington Va. basically satans asshole.. there's nowhere to get a tune for my type of car. and if i did get one it would probably have to be from the manufacturer. i called once to ask how much it would be to replace all the Monsoon speakers in my car. long story short, about 500 dollars from the manufacturer here. BUT.. i have no idea what to do to tune it or mod it. i only know how to do the essentials of tuning (i.e. plugs, plug wires, oil, transmission filter/fluid, and fuel pump). and to think about it a friend of mine got a "mod chip" like i was looking at and it did what you guys said; nothing. soooooo... plus i have no money. all the cool college kids are in for break and i can't get a job anywhere =/.. so basically all i do is fix peoples computers for gas money and cigarette money.. i definitely can't make enough or try to save on such little i get out of that to do anything tune wise to my car.. i was kind of looking at that for a last resort because it's cheap and it "works". well, now i know that it DOESN'T work.. so, thanks for all the help guys!

ps.. if you know anyone that has free tune chips that work i'll try that! haha

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

Man Frost Can Do A Mail Order Tune For You For Like 150 Bucks And Have Your Pcm Back To You In Just A Couple Days!!! Well Worth It My Friend!!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by plumpkibbles View Post
    wow, wells that's some useful info. btw Frost, i'm in Covington Va. basically satans asshole.. there's nowhere to get a tune for my type of car. and if i did get one it would probably have to be from the manufacturer. i called once to ask how much it would be to replace all the Monsoon speakers in my car. long story short, about 500 dollars from the manufacturer here. BUT.. i have no idea what to do to tune it or mod it. i only know how to do the essentials of tuning (i.e. plugs, plug wires, oil, transmission filter/fluid, and fuel pump). and to think about it a friend of mine got a "mod chip" like i was looking at and it did what you guys said; nothing. soooooo... plus i have no money. all the cool college kids are in for break and i can't get a job anywhere =/.. so basically all i do is fix peoples computers for gas money and cigarette money.. i definitely can't make enough or try to save on such little i get out of that to do anything tune wise to my car.. i was kind of looking at that for a last resort because it's cheap and it "works". well, now i know that it DOESN'T work.. so, thanks for all the help guys!

ps.. if you know anyone that has free tune chips that work i'll try that! haha
    "tuning" and changing oil/plugs are entirely different. "Tuning" is recalibrating the powertrain control module (PCM) to take advantage of mods and to "get back" the power and performance that is dulled down by OEM programming.

The "manufacturer" does not and cannot tune the car except to flash the PCM back to OEM programming.

Our cars use a processor that is setup for flashing in place, so there are no performance "chips" for our car.

red
    2000 camaro

oh, so it's basically like an EEPROM? and i would definitely get you to program my PCM if i had the money haha and tuning around here is basic keep up pretty much.. i don't know why i said tuning, i guess because of the infinite wisdom around my area..

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

ive also been looking for some sort of computer chip for my car but i have no idea where to turn. ive heard of the myth that the camaro ls1 was rate down in hp for insurance reasons and theres some way to program the extra hp out of it. wat would be the next best thing for me to get for my car? right now im running slp cold air intake, slp 85mm maf, slp tuned length headers with 3" pipes, and slp loudmouth exhaust. havent had it tuned. but wat should i do next to it?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

a tune would definitely help you out especially with that maf. Car is running ok with that MAF on there?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    a tune would definitely help you out especially with that maf. Car is running ok with that MAF on there?
    Speaking of the aftermarket MAF's on the LS1 cars, what actually is it about them that makes them bad as compared to a stock MAF? Are they just downright inaccurate or what?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Speaking of the aftermarket MAF's on the LS1 cars, what actually is it about them that makes them bad as compared to a stock MAF? Are they just downright inaccurate or what?
    they don't measure the same/report the same, and since they control most of your fueling...

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    they don't measure the same/report the same, and since they control most of your fueling...
    That's what I figured. Thanks!

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah its been running fine with it, no real problems. the only real problem i have with the car is that i keep getting lean air mixture problem codes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information