2 8.33%
  • HP Tuner

6 25.00%
  • LS1 Edit

6 25.00%
  • Other

10 41.67%

Mailorder tuning

This is a discussion on Mailorder tuning within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Here's my situation: I live in Juneau, Alaska-not a hotbed of LS1 tuning shops-LOL. I have a '00 LS1/T56 waiting ...

KILLSWITCH ETERNAL

Mailorder tuning

Here's my situation:

I live in Juneau, Alaska-not a hotbed of LS1 tuning shops-LOL. I have a '00 LS1/T56 waiting to go into my '89 Formula. I'm getting the mods together while the motor is on a pallet(LS6 intake, G. MAF, long tubes, etc., etc. I'll be getting a large cam and Patriot heads in the next month. My plan is to send the PCM to Thunder Racing to get a tune w/the mods on the motor and to delete the VATS, traction control, ABS, and smog(no smog laws in Juneau-anything goes). Anyone else gone this route? I'll eventually invest in some software, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    David
    Last edited by KILLSWITCH ETERNAL; 01-14-2006 at 05:28 PM. Reason: No response

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Well, if you send them the PCM for the tune, there would be little need for you to get software to tune later. However, if you plan to make continuous changes, then I'd say save your on the mail order tune and invest in the software.

However, since you are in Alaska, I'm guessing the season to use your car is pretty short. If you get more trouble free motoring out of a mail order tune that's done before the spring thaw - do it!

I bet an LS1 in a 3rd gen would be a lot of fun. Good luck!
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Traction control & abs are at least partially controlled by the BCM rather then the PCM so you'll have problems totally deleting them.
    Last edited by foff667; 01-19-2006 at 08:03 AM.
    Support for HPTuners

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Brian Herter at PCMforLess. Extremely Satisfied with his tuning. -Tim

KILLSWITCH ETERNAL

Thanks

If it wasn't for my career, I'd move back home to Texas. The nearest dyno from Juneau is in Anchorage. You can't drive in or out of Juneau-only ferry service and airlines. I'd be looking at $1200 just to get to the dyno(not including any charges while I'm there) . Thanks for the input.
    David.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

www.nelsonperformance.com
    Hands down....
    Texas boy....does the tuning for the STS turbo's.....tell him the old crazy bastard with the black 04 GTO sent you...

Former LT1 & LS1 Owner
    Bryan Herter (pcmforless.com) tuned my car in person today. Fantastic results, and a really nice guy. He's willing to stand behind his work as well.

Artic White
    2002 Ws6

www.wait4meperformance.com is who did my tune. Its only 150 and well worth the money. I had a great experience workign with him and he does free upgreades for life. all you have to do is mail him your computer back in and and tell him what you need adjusted and its free for life.

1994 POS

Thread Information