Thread: MAF choices

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

MAF choices

Hey all,

My 00 bird has been SD tuned for a few years now, I need to go back to a MAF due to stricter laws, and the stock MAF just wont cut it. I want to go to a card style or some other high flow MAF, I'm looking for recommendations, including any harness adapter and tube needed.

Also, I'm looking to get Rear O2 simulators, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
    ~R

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Curious as to why you are against using a stock MAF, they are well capable of supporting upwards of 500hp. If you insist on something bigger i'd recommend a GM 85mm.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

For the 85 you would need an adapter to work with your car

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

The car has 584RWHP and its a LS3 set up. The stock MAF would be a bottleneck for the intake. I don't recall exactly what the size of the stock MAF is but I think it's in the 70's

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I was thinking either the card style the 5th gen comes with, or the 100mm lingenfelter set up

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Makes more sense now. No personal experience with any other MAFs so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

584 RWHP is a monster. That's about 700 hp at the crank. You need to use an aftermarket MAF with that mill. I would go to Lingenfelter and speak to one of their reps and get the correct unit for your needs. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I was going to get ahold of them and get the info on the 100mm unit that they have. But it's pricy

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Horsepower is never cheap.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

So what about rear o2 simulators? Anyone heard of this before

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, but I've heard a lot of people have issues with them and that's why most get the rear O2's tuned out instead of using the simulators.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Right now I have them tuned out. But mass has gotten strickter on the sticker laws. I need them turned on for just this year and simulated. After this year the car will be 15 yrs old and no longer needs to pass emissions.

I'd like to hear more about the law that requires the MAF? That's odd considering manufactures are still building new cars today that don't use MAF's. If tuned properly it shouldn't affect what the car sniffs at the station (if that's a concern)

Or are you looking to just pass a visual with no sniffer? If so wouldn't just sticking it in the air track, plug it in and make it look like it works do the trick?? That would sure beat buying an expensive MAF just to pass inspection only to take it back off when the car is 15 years old.

Are they savy enough to check the tune and see if the MAF is turned off?

As far as 02 sims, they were getting harder to get a few years ago as the EPA cracked down, not sure about now but they might be all but obsolete at this point in time. Are you still running cats on this car? What's your plan for that part of the inspection?

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

So mass now has the OBDII scanner set to look for the o2 heat check and the MAF readiness. Right now my MAF is forced to fail to allow for SD to take over, and the o2 readiness will never pass because the rear o2's are set to not report.

Ah okay, I've never heard of a state looking for MAF readiness before. That's a new one on me. I'm surprised they actually go in depth that far as to check for MAF and 02 readiness.

Here in AZ (Maricopa and Pima counties only) they just plug into the OBDII and check for codes, no codes and you are home free.

Sounds like you are stuck finding 02 sims if you don't have cats, so you can turn those back on. If they look under the car however you might get nabbed.
    Or stick cats on it for the time being, install rear 02's and turn them on for the test, if you can't find sims....

Either way you sound stuck spending money to get by, even if you find a suitable MAF and turn that back on, it will need tuned so the MAF tables will need revamped. If you have HPtuner and a wideband it would sure make life much easier for you.

Can't register the car as a collector or limited use tag of some sort to exempt it from testing? Most states have that, however I know Mass, New Jersey and alot of those North Eastern sea board states are getting even worse than California.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ah okay, I've never heard of a state looking for MAF readiness before. That's a new one on me. I'm surprised they actually go in depth that far as to check for MAF and 02 readiness.

Here in AZ (Maricopa and Pima counties only) they just plug into the OBDII and check for codes, no codes and you are home free.

Sounds like you are stuck finding 02 sims if you don't have cats, so you can turn those back on. If they look under the car however you might get nabbed.
    Or stick cats on it for the time being, install rear 02's and turn them on for the test, if you can't find sims....

Either way you sound stuck spending money to get by, even if you find a suitable MAF and turn that back on, it will need tuned so the MAF tables will need revamped. If you have HPtuner and a wideband it would sure make life much easier for you.

Can't register the car as a collector or limited use tag of some sort to exempt it from testing? Most states have that, however I know Mass, New Jersey and alot of those North Eastern sea board states are getting even worse than California.
    I have high flow cats but they tend to throw a code for the rear o2's, also I have no spot in my exhaust to mount them. And as for the MAF I think i'm going to do the Lingenfelter 100MM Maf and just run with it from now on. the SD is nice but when its cold out or really hot I notice it doesn't run as well.

Mass use to only look for codes, but now they have gotten wise to the way tuners do things, I'm not sure what started it but I know about a BMW that has been black listed, the owner of this $100K ride has to put it as close to stock as he can and re-enable all the emissions, THEN bring it to the Boston RMV and have them go through it with a fine tooth comb, before removing it from the black list.

I've only got to make it one more year, that's why I might be able to get away with only running the o2 sim's, does anyone know how to make these? I see a lot on google, but does anyone know what works best?

And if i'm going to go through the trouble and $$ of putting a MAF back on the car I might aswell keep it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll go out and look at the laptop here in a little bit but to my knowledge there's no such thing as a MAF readiness test. I know you have O2, evap, and egr readiness tests which are easy to get to complete....just set them to "no error reported" instead of disabled. Do you have access to hptuners? This can all be done in there. If not you can probably buy hptuners for what you're getting ready to spend on a MAF. Sims are worthless....waste of money and they will fail. You're way better off to do all of this with tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Do you have access to hptuners? This can all be done in there. If not you can probably buy hptuners for what you're getting ready to spend on a MAF. .
    That's what I was thinking, and why I mentioned it. I'm thinking HPtuner is going to be a real good friend for him to have.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

My car has been tuned by HPtuners, one of my friends uses it. My EGR,AIR,Rear o2's are set to not report. But I guess this makes the readiness check fail (only going by what I was told) and the MAF is forced to fail, allowing me to run SD. Again this is all what I've been told by my friend that tunes. He's been doing it for years so I trust his word. I build um, he tunes um.

- - - Updated - - -

I've thought about getting HPtuners myself but I've never run the program before, I'd have to learn the whole thing.

Thread Information