ls1 gets fat on top end

This is a discussion on ls1 gets fat on top end within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; just a question, had my car dynod a while back it made 433rwhp and 409rwtq, my question is above about ...

red
    2001 slp camaro

ls1 gets fat on top end

just a question, had my car dynod a while back it made 433rwhp and 409rwtq, my question is above about 5200 the a/f ratio starts to get rich. makes power to 6200 rev limit. still has stock mass air, and stock t.b. could a lack of air on top end cause a rich condition? or can it be retuned to compensate for this..car ran 13.1-13.4a/f till around 5000prm then goes into 12.8-12.6a/f range. this was taken at the tailpipe
    please give any opinions on this thanks
    Bowtiy

white
    2000 Z28

im pretty sure that is all in the tune. because if it was the maf or a mechanical error of some sort it would be noticable throughout the power band. hopefully frost can come in and verify if my idea is correct or not

white
    2000 Z28

if i remember right alot of people with bolt ons stick with close to 12.6 afr and that 13.1 is a bit off but then again that is what i heard about only bolt on cars. list your mods and you will get a better idea of what going on from someone else

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bowtiy View Post
    just a question, had my car dynod a while back it made 433rwhp and 409rwtq, my question is above about 5200 the a/f ratio starts to get rich. makes power to 6200 rev limit. still has stock mass air, and stock t.b. could a lack of air on top end cause a rich condition? or can it be retuned to compensate for this..car ran 13.1-13.4a/f till around 5000prm then goes into 12.8-12.6a/f range. this was taken at the tailpipe
    please give any opinions on this thanks
    Bowtiy
    Has the car been tuned at all?? That makes all the difference.

Stock mass air should be good for the amount of power you're making, if I remember correctly the stock MAF is good for 500+WHP, when tuned correctly.

However, I think the stock TB could be causing part of your problem. You can gain improvements in power on stock cars from just porting or upgrading to a new TB, with 433WHP you're probably starving the engine for air with the stock size TB.

red
    2001 slp camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Has the car been tuned at all?? That makes all the difference.

Stock mass air should be good for the amount of power you're making, if I remember correctly the stock MAF is good for 500+WHP, when tuned correctly.

However, I think the stock TB could be causing part of your problem. You can gain improvements in power on stock cars from just porting or upgrading to a new TB, with 433WHP you're probably starving the engine for air with the stock size TB.
    the car has been upgraded with futral motorsports fm14 cam, full length headers, fast intake manifold, car has been tuned, and runs exellent... was just thinkin if it could be leaned out on top end a little it might pick up a few more horses.. would the a/f change with a reading closer to the o2 sensors?

Laser Blue Metallic
    2006 Monte Carlo SS

you should run a wideband up as close to the headers as possible for the best readings... readings at the tailpipe will be different...

you want to be at 12.6-12.8 AFR at WOT... 13's is gettin' a little lean...
    06MonteSS
    2006 Monte Carlo SS -- CAI, Poly mounts, STB's,
    Flowmaster Super 40's, Custom DiabLew Tune!
    Email: 06MonteSS@diablewtune.com

The way it was explained to me this is normal. It's not uncommon to install bolt ons and then the car starts using higher frequencies in the MAF table.

Since you have a cam, headers etc....your engine is reaching a higher point on the MAF tables than a stocker.

The higher you go on the MAF table the richer it will get. GM has these cars programmed this way probably for safety/warranty reasons.

I had the same issues with mine and couldn't figure out why until Frost explained this to me. I had actually added fuel in the MAF table up top which only compounded the problem.

A simple change in the MAF tables had it running like mad up top.

It sounds to me as though you are still running the factory rich commanded AFR's in the upper rpm ranges.

Thread Information