SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Question LS1 Edit tune for my SS

this shop near my house wants 400 bucks for a dyno tune with LS1 edit, they said it should take like 1-1.5 hrs he said, and he figures my car is running lean with my current untuned mods

what do u guys think, is ls1 edit a good program, does this all sound about right?

he said i should get like 15 or so hp to the ground, he also told me to take it easy on my car since its un tuned, well i've been rippin on it from time to time in the last year since i put my headers on , so i hope i'm not doing it harm
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i doubt you are doing any harm to your motor. i've driven on stock tune with more than you have. LS1Edit is the horse and buggy of tuning software. nothing wrong with it, just outdated is all.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

white
    2002 B4C

DOn't do it! Pay the money for a pro that uses HP Tuners. Let me save you headaches and $$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I don't see anything in your sig indicating you have swapped out your MAF, and if that is the case and you are currently running a stock calibration in your PCM, your car will be rich not lean. Just letting you know so you don't have to sweat it. About 15 is a typical gain at your level though, so he got that right.

white
    2002 B4C

Frost, I wish you were closer. Just didn't want to mail my PCM. Still got screwd. I understand everything you post. Learned the hard way. I will listen from now on!

red
    1999 Camaro SS

Negociate with the tuner. With your mods, you most likely only need the MAF table tuned to bring the LTFTs to between 0% and -5%... Then tune the PE vs RPM table so that you have high 12s for the AFR @ WOT. Also, the timing table might need tweeked, but mostly not. Tuning these two or three tables can get you that 15 RWHp. This worked for me even with tuning with a 2001 version of LS1Edit on my '99 SS...
    '99 Camaro SS; 6-spd, LS2 402 stroker short block, PP stage 3 heads, GMS MAF, 244/248 cam, FLP headers, Borla catback, 4.10 gears, LS6 intake, 39#/hr injectors, Pro 5.0 shifter, subframe connectors, Comp Cams 1.85 rr,
    Best ET: 12.23sec (2.000sec 60'), trap spd:117.5mph, with the LS1 engine.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    DOn't do it! Pay the money for a pro that uses HP Tuners. Let me save you headaches and $$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It wasn't the LT1 EDIT software that caused issues with your car. It was the tuner that did.

white
    2002 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    It wasn't the LT1 EDIT software that caused issues with your car. It was the tuner that did.
    True. But if you have a choice wouldn't you rather use a better software? I would think improved software = less mistakes, and less chance of poor tune. I think the best tuner would have the best software, and provide the best service. It was LS1 Edit not LT1, or heck maybe she did try LT1...nothing would surprise me with that scam artist.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    True. But if you have a choice wouldn't you rather use a better software? I would think improved software = less mistakes, and less chance of poor tune. I think the best tuner would have the best software, and provide the best service. It was LS1 Edit not LT1, or heck maybe she did try LT1...nothing would surprise me with that scam artist.
    Very true. Nothing wrong with Carputing's software, but definitely more modern tunes out there.

Thread Information