LQ9 computer recomendation?

This is a discussion on LQ9 computer recomendation? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am gathering parts for a mid engine off road car project. The driveline will utilize a Viper 6 speed ...

Desert Racer

LQ9 computer recomendation?

I am gathering parts for a mid engine off road car project. The driveline will utilize a Viper 6 speed and a Casale V drive sending power to a 14 bolt full floater. I'm thinking an LQ9 crate engine with an ASA cam and some cleaned up heads would make a nice reliable pump gas desert beater. The LQ9 comes complete, but no wiring harness or computer. What year and model OEM computer would be a good choice? The fly by wire TB is going to be replaced with a LQ4 manuel TB for simplicity. A no frills wiring harness will be needed as well. EFI live or HP tuners will be used in conjuction with an LM1 wideband for tuning. Do I have to run the factory 02s? Sorry for all the questions in one post. I'm ready to throw down the cash. Would like to get it right the first time. Any and all information greatly apreciated.
    DR

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

a 01 or 02 computer & wiring harness should work just fine in your application...if you decide to run in open loop you can get rid of all the o2's and if you run in SD as well you can rid yourself of the maf Talk to jesse(wait4me) he should have everything you need on hand or be able to make you up something for a good price.

Desert Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    a 01 or 02 computer & wiring harness should work just fine in your application...if you decide to run in open loop you can get rid of all the o2's and if you run in SD as well you can rid yourself of the maf Talk to jesse(wait4me) he should have everything you need on hand or be able to make you up something for a good price.
    Thanks for the reply foff. If my info is correct, closed loop takes place at cruise. Lots of throttle jockeying takes place in an off road car. With no police around, the right foot is prone to frequent stomping.The chance for closed loop operation would be seldom. Any drawbacks to removing the 02s? Same question for the MAF. I will contact Jesse on the harness and computer, thanks
    DR

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

just that you'll have to have different tunes for different altitudes & climates because there are less sensors to adjust for the different changes.

Silver/Black
    2002 Camaro SS Cnvt

GMPP 4BBL intake and that cam-spud, water-pump
    housing combo that lets you run a HEI distributor
    and mechanical fuel pump. Can't really beat the
    simplicity of that. Check out Chevy High Performance
    Aug '05 issue pg 96.

Desert Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    GMPP 4BBL intake and that cam-spud, water-pump
    housing combo that lets you run a HEI distributor
    and mechanical fuel pump. Can't really beat the
    simplicity of that. Check out Chevy High Performance
    Aug '05 issue pg 96.
    I have ran a lot of carburated small blocks in off road cars. The simplicity can't be beat. Fuel milage never gets any better than about 5 mpg when your geting after it. The engine gargles alot of fuel during decell to float bounce and slosh. Sucker pumps on the float bowl sight holes have helped. An EFI LS1 will get 10-12 MPG all day. When you have a 32 gallon tank, your range goes from 150 to 300 miles. That a BFD when your out in the middle of BFE. Average play weekend we run about a 100 miles a day. With gas at 3.00 per gallon, thats real cash for the beer fund.
    DR

Thread Information