Thread: lost

silver
    98 ss camaro

lost

I have a 98 ss camaro 5.7 is slp intake, slpmaf and slp lm exhause going to add kook's longtubes, ls6 intake, tb, pulley. I got the hp tuner and wanted to try to mess around with it but i'm completely lost i've figured out how to change the skip shift and change the rev limiter besides that I don't know what changes what can anyone help me figure this out or send me to some links, Also any proven tunes would help a lot i've figured out how to add a tune.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how long before you'll be doing the mods? If it's relatively soon I'd probably wait until you get the mods on there to really start tuning it or you'll have to redo it. If you're just wanting practice though it wouldn't hurt nothing.

Start with the scanner. It's a very important piece of the puzzle, the most important. Just log the default parameters to start with and email me a log and I'll go over each one and tell you what you're looking at...ibzrg6@aol.com I'll also tell you how to switch stuff in and out and what histograms do and what they're used for. Send me a log when you get a chance.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I spent months and months and months and months reading. I'd suggest camping out in the HPTuner's forum and pretty much reading up everything that you can find there.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how long before you'll be doing the mods? If it's relatively soon I'd probably wait until you get the mods on there to really start tuning it or you'll have to redo it. If you're just wanting practice though it wouldn't hurt nothing.

Start with the scanner. It's a very important piece of the puzzle, the most important. Just log the default parameters to start with and email me a log and I'll go over each one and tell you what you're looking at...ibzrg6@aol.com I'll also tell you how to switch stuff in and out and what histograms do and what they're used for. Send me a log when you get a chance.
    Thank you so much for the help the headers are going to take the longest to get in the slp parts i have in already, I recieved the bbk tb and the bbk pulleys today and I have tm off so I was going to get some friends together and have a bbq and put those in. So thought i'd be "fun" to play around with the tuner and make a day of it. I'll email you the scan let me know if you need more info.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I looked at that log you sent me. I see you have an slp maf added. I would switch back to the stock maf for the time being...your fueling is jacked up and I suspect that maf might be behind it. Your ltft's are maxed at 25% on both banks and your stft's are lean too. You also have some knock. You're lean all over basically. That second log the ltft's dropped to 18-25% but that's still way to high.
    Swap that maf out and buy a wideband so you can properly tune the car. Once you get a wideband and can tune for the maf you can run it but until then I'd put your stock one back in and buy a wideband.

silver
    98 ss camaro

I looked at that log you sent me. I see you have an slp maf added. I would switch back to the stock maf for the time being...your fueling is jacked up and I suspect that maf might be behind it. Your ltft's are maxed at 25% on both banks and your stft's are lean too. You also have some knock. You're lean all over basically. That second log the ltft's dropped to 18-25% but that's still way to high.
    Swap that maf out and buy a wideband so you can properly tune the car. Once you get a wideband and can tune for the maf you can run it but until then I'd put your stock one back in and buy a wideband.

kinda lost with the wideband what should I get that will work well with my 98 and the hp tuner(I thought the pro verson of the hp tuner works as a wideband as well though). I'll put the stock maf senor on before I add the parts and record some data. Then i'll put the tb on and try with the slp maf and the stock and post those up if you don't mind looking.
    Last edited by slpcamaro; 08-22-2008 at 08:35 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    kinda lost with the wideband what should I get that will work well with my 98 and the hp tuner(I thought the pro verson of the hp tuner works as a wideband as well though). I'll put the stock maf senor on before I add the parts and record some data. Then i'll put the tb on and try with the slp maf and the stock and post those up if you don't mind looking.
    the pro version allows you to log the wideband along with your other data, it isn't a wideband itself. I run an innovate motorsports wideband but there are several different types out there.
    Swap to that stock maf and go to the bidirectional controls and reset your fuel trims and take a drive and log that drive.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

have a look see on the webpages i've been making on how to use hptuners
    http://www.centralfloridastreetcars.com/hptuners.htm
    Last edited by mrr23; 08-28-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

silver
    98 ss camaro

the pro version allows you to log the wideband along with your other data, it isn't a wideband itself. I run an innovate motorsports wideband but there are several different types out there.
    Swap to that stock maf and go to the bidirectional controls and reset your fuel trims and take a drive and log that drive.
    so with the tb in and the slp intake set up the stop maf won't fit on so I guess i need to get the wideband to fix the slp maf. I went to inovate motorsports wasn't sure what I need was wondering if you could tell me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I use the LM-1 because it's portable but if you're wanting to do a permanent install ( recommended) I'd look at the LC-1. Frost posted up a place to get a really inexpensive wideband a few weeks ago but I can't find the post. Might want to PM him and have him send you the link.

I looked at that last log you sent me...still really lean.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you have a resistor on the MAF, take it off, that will immediately send fueling rich.

Budget wideband controller with a surprising amount of features: http://www.14point7.com/Widebands/JAW_1_03/JAW_1_03.htm

A really good price (don't take my word, shop around) on the Bosch sensor needed: http://www.lsxtune.com/shop/product_...roducts_id/345

98 Formula
    06 duramax

he's running a slp maf and his trims are way lean....his first log ltft's were maxed at 25% and the last one he sent me they were ~15-20%. I'm assuming it's his mods combined with that maf that's causing it.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

its almost all MAF error. If there is a resistor and if he pulls it, it should change pretty steeply.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    its almost all MAF error. If there is a resistor and if he pulls it, it should change pretty steeply.
    i'll look at the maf tm morning where would I look i believe that it looks like theres one on the screen a tiny little thing. thanks for the link i'll take your word for it you guys know a lot more then I do. I really just need something to help me out with this just the pulleys' headers and ls6 manifold going on so I dont think i need something to great.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Log all of what you can as far as fuel trims go against the MAF curve. If it is off, +15 to +18 everywhere that you can log, try multiplying the whole table by, say, 20% to help get you in the range for fine tuning.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Log all of what you can as far as fuel trims go against the MAF curve. If it is off, +15 to +18 everywhere that you can log, try multiplying the whole table by, say, 20% to help get you in the range for fine tuning.
    sorry kinda lost me here and is there a way I can post a tune or a scan on here or do I have to do it through email. I'm looking at the widebands don't know about putting a permanent install in nice think is my friend has an 01 ta so he's gonna throw in on it with me so that wouldn't work too well plus seems like more work. I hear what your saying about multiplying the table not quite sure the easiest way to do this but most importantly which table would I be doing this too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hold on, I'll send you a file in a few minutes.

Thread Information