Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lets talk in depth tuning

This is a discussion on Lets talk in depth tuning within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; when the scans show a negative number, that means it's taking fuel away....

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

when the scans show a negative number, that means it's taking fuel away.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what does your idle air look like? Have you used Russ K's idle cfg ( I think it's Russ k's)and dialed in your RAF table yet?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what does your idle air look like? Have you used Russ K's idle cfg ( I think it's Russ k's)and dialed in your RAF table yet?
    Yep, I using Russ K idle config thanks to Mrr23. My RAF looks like this as of now.

26.40039 22.79980 18.24023 14.63965 12.48047 10.32031 8.87988 8.51953 8.51953 8.51953.

Im going to go out and hope I dont get rained out and try this RAF

25.40039 21.79980 17.24023 13.63965 11.48047 9.32031 7.87988 7.51953 7.51953 7.51953

From 50 Kpa to 75 Kpa, up to 2000 RPM im getting -20/-29 STFT's.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Alright, Well I dont think I can have the MAF unplugged. It is a 5 wire MAF with the IAT integrated into it. SO, I suppose I HAVE to leave that plugged in so I can have my IAT's. My STFT's are still way negative, im going to keep playing with the RAF table slightly. I want to take it for a cruise, but Im slightly afraid with all those negative numbers in my STFT cells. Should I be worried about those? Im going to have to just rely on my MAF being disabled by setting the Fail Frequency to -0- and turning the error mode to No MIL light, also having the airflow/output Frequency table Zero'd out. What I think I did wrong was I didnt 'Enable' it. If I un-checked the the 'SES Enable', then I essentially dis-abled the code, not allowing the ECM to fail it and not run in SD. I will just have it set to No MIL but have the code itself enabled. Russ K's config file is nice. And I have made a few scans with it, but my last one was with no IAT's and I dont think the ECM was running in SD. Dum Dum. Im going to go back out and raise my RAF table by 3, just to see if it helps any and then try to slowly come down on the RAF table. My Primary VE table looks very smooth, with really only one peak area. Im reading Cpig's HPT tuning guide and trying to apply it the best I can.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 04-19-2009 at 11:51 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

set the MAF to fail on first and un check the SES box, set maf fail to 0Hz.

That's it for SD.

Tune with your wideband; it's ridiculously faster than fuel trims.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    set the MAF to fail on first and un check the SES box, set maf fail to 0Hz.

That's it for SD.

Tune with your wideband; it's ridiculously faster than fuel trims.
    Yep. Thats all straightened out. Didnt realize I had the 5 wire MAF with the IAT together. Frost, have you looked at Cpig's HPT TuningGuide? Do you agree with most of whats on there? One thing I read on it that I thought was different from what I have heard/been told is this.

COPY LTFT HISTOGRAM INTO VE TABLE:
    • Go to VCM Scanner>Histogram display>LTFTs.
    • Open the VCM Editor>Edit>Engine>Airflow>Main VE and select Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP.
    • Now, copy your LTFT histogram, and “Paste Special – Add” it into the VE table.
    • Do the same with your STFT histogram.

I thought you were supposed to copy/paste special multiply by % ? So, if im reading this right, you would log your STFT and your LTFT and try to hit as many cells as possible to minimize hand smoothing.... then take those STFT & LTFT and ?ADD? them to my Primary VE? Or am I way off here?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have pointed out that error and many others many times in that guide (though likely on other boards) and is a reason that I never mention it to beginning tuners. Tuning with fuel trims is slow and subject to more error than the wideband unless cell hit counts are VERY high. If you must tune by trims, there is no need to complicate things with both LT and ST trims. Just use STs and dont forget to reset trims in the scanner first since even if LT trims are turned off, they will still apply where learned.

Stay easy when logging, avoid hard transitions and get HIGH cell hit counts if you must use trims alone.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I have pointed out that error and many others many times in that guide (though likely on other boards) and is a reason that I never mention it to beginning tuners. Tuning with fuel trims is slow and subject to more error than the wideband unless cell hit counts are VERY high. If you must tune by trims, there is no need to complicate things with both LT and ST trims. Just use STs and dont forget to reset trims in the scanner first since even if LT trims are turned off, they will still apply where learned.

Stay easy when logging, avoid hard transitions and get HIGH cell hit counts if you must use trims alone.
    Well, I have a wideband hooked up. Just that one point in the tuning guide confused me. Should I ONLY log the wideband and for the FT's? While Im still working on my idle and surging (using Russ K's config file) Im trying to figure out if I should completely disable LTFT and just use STFT and my wideband.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just use your wideband and use the afr error histogram. Look in the help file in hptuners under user submitted and that will give you a step by step on tuning the ve using your wideband.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just use your wideband and use the afr error histogram. Look in the help file in hptuners under user submitted and that will give you a step by step on tuning the ve using your wideband.
    The last part of that write says if you have the 5 wire MAF you have to be able to disable the MAF from the IAT. Is that absolutley necessary? That write up is almost identical to the Cpigs's.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

no,

just tune in OL like Orion said.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Alright, I did exactly as the VCM Suite Help said. Set everything up as they said I made a very short log, I cant drive the car right now really and I dont really want to untill I get this some what started. I have my AFR Error Histogram. I only hit 25 cells, some of the numbers it was hitting were scaring me so I just revved it a few times to 3000 RPM or so after reaching 160* ECT and tried to capture as many cells as possible. Even though I did not drive the car, and didnt hit 50 cells, can I still take these numbers over to my VE tables and paste special?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

no

The car needs to be at full operating temp to work on the VE.

Start with the wideband and NEUTRAL. rev to each column and hold and fully release. It will let you get your idle area sorted out before trying to drive around. The airflow logging is gonna make you chase your tail. Just keep it from stalling right now, base airflow will be re-done more than once along the way.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

no

The car needs to be at full operating temp to work on the VE.

Start with the wideband and NEUTRAL. rev to each column and hold and fully release. It will let you get your idle area sorted out before trying to drive around. The airflow logging is gonna make you chase your tail. Just keep it from stalling right now, base airflow will be re-done more than once along the way.
    Well, the car was at 160* ECT when I started getting what cells I do have. After reaching 160*, I got roughly 20 cells, in neutral. I revved to 3000 and noticed some crazy numbers (In my eyes). I cant use the cells I hit just know... that I got when engine was at 160* ECT... in Neutral and just revving?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

When just talking Idle tuning, whats everyone think about this as a standard? http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...8776#post78776

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Dont these look wierd?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

that's just the idle spark table. looks pretty normal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information