Idle problem! 2 codes thrown, what to do?

This is a discussion on Idle problem! 2 codes thrown, what to do? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Alright, I recently bought my 99 TA. Basic mods are in my sib below. LQ4 block, 6.0. The car runs ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Idle problem! 2 codes thrown, what to do?

Alright, I recently bought my 99 TA. Basic mods are in my sib below. LQ4 block, 6.0.

The car runs very very strong thru out the entire power band. No sluggish, misfiring, weird things going on in the performance end. I sure I am getting horrible fuel mileage. I have these two codes being thrown, but NO MIL be flashed. The codes are
    http://gearchatter.com/viewtopic9948...ffed11f123b026

and , http://gearchatter.com/viewtopic9945...ffed11f123b026

Could I take this car to a nice tune/dino/shop and hopefully get it repaired? I dont understand why the MIL isnt on. I haven't figured my fuel mileage out yet, but I know it is very bad. Anyone with some information or, a nice shop to take it to around here would be great. Help me please!!
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 07-06-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I can post some video of car, while it is acting up. I just went back out there and started the car.... it idle at 800 RPM the whole time. In gear, out of gear. Damn I need this figured out. Checked as many connections for fuel pump as I could at the moment.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, On the ECM's 2 plugs. Both codes are telling you the 2 things are not getting reference volts to them. Take the 2 plugs off at the ECM & inspect them. Green corroded pin tips, or green corroded internal female connections to the pins, broken wires. Think this way, any sensor. computer sends reference volts to something. Reference volts are not normally 12V. Depending on the control. ( Coolant temp sensor, O2's, -> an unfused circut that won't blow if grounded. ) Most controls are a variable resistance thing. ECM send 5 volts to it, the resistance changes value, depending on the control. ( Think coolant temp sensor that changes resistance cold to hot. ) That 5v sent to, more or less resistance burns up electricity. Send 5V to a high resistance, the resistance burns up 2V. The ECM gets back 2V instead of the 5V sent & the program in the ECM acts on it. it also knows, thru the ECM program. No voltage sent as it didn't get any back. Reading both, you see if you get both codes you have to do the tests listed. And refer to Reference volt 1 circut, says you have a 5v reference shorting out to a voltage. Didn't say shorted to a ground. See the yes & no to the right? If you got both codes, then go to step 5. Testing for voltage at each listed step. Yes or no puts you to the next step. Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 07-08-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Thread Information