white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

A I R and EGR system question (tuned out)

Hey fellas I am going to be sending my comp to frost for tuning, my question is this, I am putting LT headers and a catted y-pipe with a rumbler cat back system. I know he will tune the rear o2s out he also stated that he could eliminate the EGR and AIR system? Is there any benefit to removing these systems on the car? any problems thanks for the help I want to have all the info I can get before I send this off. Just dont know alot about this.

Thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If you want to stay emissions legal than you may want to leave it on, depending on how strict they are in your area. Otherwise just have him delete them and yank them off when ya get the time.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    Honda MDX

Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post
    Hey fellas I am going to be sending my comp to frost for tuning, my question is this, I am putting LT headers and a catted y-pipe with a rumbler cat back system. I know he will tune the rear o2s out he also stated that he could eliminate the EGR and AIR system? Is there any benefit to removing these systems on the car? any problems thanks for the help I want to have all the info I can get before I send this off. Just dont know alot about this.

Thanks
    werwer
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-15-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: removed spam links

Red
    Honda MDX

Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post

Thanks
    also, i went to my mechanic who does my emissions to ask what the visual inspection is like with respect to EGR. he told me that there is no visual check of the EGR system because if it were removed or was not working properly, it would throw a code.
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-15-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed spam links

The EGR and AIR systems only operate for short periods and only at lower RPM 's--I would just leave them be--Not much if any HP to be gained to remove them--And a pain in the butt if they are needed to pass emmisions
    If you do remove them--make sure you have your tuner "0 out the EGR timing table-It adds timing when the EGR is supposed to operate- and it will ping badly if you don't--

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Disable those functions with your tuning software and yank that junk out! It will clean up some of the 'clutter' under the hood and knock off about 10 lbs of weight.

Thread Information