Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I got my SS dyno'd for the first time today...

This is a discussion on I got my SS dyno'd for the first time today... within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Frost, et al , I was looking at your website and I was getting the impression that total stockers may ...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Frost, et al ,

I was looking at your website and I was getting the impression that total stockers may not benefit from the tune. I have 82k on my 02 WS-6 6M and have seen a little drop in fuel econ and a little bit of part throttle drivabilty. Ive put on the TSB OEM plugs and wires recently as well as Seafoamed the car as well. As far as I can tell everything is in great working order, I change the oil every 3k with Synthetic (I know its overkill, but I put about 500-600 miles a month in stop and go to and from campus). I had it in the back of my mind that maybe a dyno tune would be helpfull (I live in Baltimore, so its not that much of a drive). I was thinking of adding the SLP air cleaner top and baffle delete set (the $325 kit) to help breathing a bit when I do open it up now and then. Would a dyno tune be helpfull?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A good tune will always be an improvement over the stock programming. However, if the car has mechanical issues they will not be remedied by the tune. Have you cleaned the MAF and replaced your air and fuel filters recently? Any possible vacuum leaks?

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

out of curiousity what did she put down op

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Frost, et al ,

I was looking at your website and I was getting the impression that total stockers may not benefit from the tune. I have 82k on my 02 WS-6 6M and have seen a little drop in fuel econ and a little bit of part throttle drivabilty.
    Probably time for a new set of 02 sensors if they are originals.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by redrocketws6 View Post
    well basically, i had a 94 lt1, and the opti when out, again, surprise surprise. And instead of changing that i decided to rebuild the motor. One thing after another, before i knew it i was building a 383 stroker, new cam and heads. After all of that mess the car would never start. and if it did not to long. I sent to to about three different mechs and they couldn't start it. finally the third guy, he was in cleveland and he took the car in, started to work on it, couldn't fix it, i told him to tear the whole thing apart and piece by piece put it together right. he dropped the k member, my dad ended up calling him and told him to put the motor back in and we're coming to get it.

then the guy demanded money and after 2 years we finally just gave up. My dad said we're not paying anything since he didnt fix anything. The guy left it outside of his place for a month straight and every night had a cop come by and ticket it for being on the streets after hours. It got towed finally. We had 1000 dollars racked up in tickets. We got a letter in the mail from the tow company saying if we dont pay to get the car out it will be distroyed in 30 days. We didnt pay it.

So there is my past history with tuning. That is why i'm leary about doing anything to a motor now.
    I don't see anything in that story about tuning??
    And not to be a dick here, but if you told the guy to work on your car and he started working on it, then don't you think you owe him some money for the work he did?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I don't see anything in that story about tuning??
    And not to be a dick here, but if you told the guy to work on your car and he started working on it, then don't you think you owe him some money for the work he did?
    Well we had no problem doing that, but when he multiplied his estimate by 10 overnight, what were we suppose to do? And I don't know if it was mechanical. could have been.

the point is i've ran into trouble because i didnt do a whole of research, and that is what im doing now with asking the questions about tuning and what is better or more likely easier. either going to get a dyno or send in a mail order? I mean i think i said this earlier, maybe but anyway there are a bunch of mustang oriented dynos around here where i live but i don't want to go to one of those because i feel they won't know all the ins and outs of the LS1 since they are mainly fords.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well we had no problem doing that, but when he multiplied his estimate by 10 overnight, what were we suppose to do?
    Oh ok. I understand now.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Oh ok. I understand now.
    no problems. I've just had my problems before like anyone else. That is why i'm just trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Now, one question is when doing a tune, what kind of power increase could typically be seen? I know that is one of those generic questions that no one likes. Maybe i'll just go on Frost's website and peak around.

And also, right now, on 89 or 91 octane, i can achieve about 21 miles per gallon which is both city and highway, does that sound about right to you?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

And also, right now, on 89 or 91 octane, i can achieve about 21 miles per gallon which is both city and highway, does that sound about right to you?
    I would not be running 89. Doesn't the manual say 91+? There is a reason for that. You don't want detonation.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would not be running 89. Doesn't the manual say 91+? There is a reason for that. You don't want detonation.
    I did it a few times, right now i have 91 in it. It does feel better. And i did notice more popping and a little backfiring after getting out of the throttle. The 3 inch exhaust headers back no cats doesn't help that either.

but the real question i was asking was about the milage and power increase, power being the real question. I checked his website hoping there was some dynos and didn't see much. like i mentioned i get about 21 miles, which i don't think is to bad but also i don't know how other guys on here can get 30?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by SH1ZN1T View Post
    To Frost:

I will be getting back later this month to, hopefully, install my new LS6 intake and maybe a P&P TB. Would it better worth the drive up there in, possibly, November to get a more accurate tune rather than to just do a mail order tune?

Also, somewhat often I drive to MS, roughly 1000 miles, and currently I get close to 27mpg hwy. How much more would it be to get that ?economy tune with the switch?
    The best result always comes from tuning in person. It's more for trucks (the economy tuning).

Frost, et al ,

I was looking at your website and I was getting the impression that total stockers may not benefit from the tune. I have 82k on my 02 WS-6 6M and have seen a little drop in fuel econ and a little bit of part throttle drivabilty. Ive put on the TSB OEM plugs and wires recently as well as Seafoamed the car as well. As far as I can tell everything is in great working order, I change the oil every 3k with Synthetic (I know its overkill, but I put about 500-600 miles a month in stop and go to and from campus). I had it in the back of my mind that maybe a dyno tune would be helpfull (I live in Baltimore, so its not that much of a drive). I was thinking of adding the SLP air cleaner top and baffle delete set (the $325 kit) to help breathing a bit when I do open it up now and then. Would a dyno tune be helpfull?
    Things that change over time are not tune related and will not be fixed with tuning. Your tune never changed, so any degradation in economy or performance is due to something tangible on the car. You would gain a few in dyno tuning, but it's more aimed at correcting things after you have made modifications. I wouldn't consider an air lid a large modification though it may skew the MAF a bit down low.

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    out of curiousity what did she put down op
    it put down 315.3 rwhp on the last run (3 runs)

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I replace and check the air filter all of the time. As far as the MAF goes, it looks pretty clean, I did wipe down some areas that arent near the MAF wires. The fuel filter is in the tank on this model isn't it? I was under the impression that it wasn't a serviceable (unless you drop the tank) part??

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

Things that change over time are not tune related and will not be fixed with tuning. Your tune never changed, so any degradation in economy or performance is due to something tangible on the car. You would gain a few in dyno tuning, but it's more aimed at correcting things after you have made modifications. I wouldn't consider an air lid a large modification though it may skew the MAF a bit down low.
    I understand that the "tune" never changes, ie. values , fuel maps, etc. . But I also know that the manufacturers from time to time do "updates" on the computers programming for values etc. to account for newer discovered issues. I'm not expecting the world from a new "tune", just a little more ooomph, enjoyment and drivability. I figured a check on the dyno might also point to problems that one might normally catch without lookng at the powercurve and the output numbers.

For instance, I am using the factory T.S.B. Iridium plugs over the Platinums. "All things equal", this should be a non-issue, but it is using a different material and for good or bad there should be some variance (allbeit small) in ignition performance. Also, with age comes some wear and carbon buildup (that may not have been purged by using Seafoam) and that effects compression and other factors.

As far as the mechanical condition on the engine, the computer isn't throwing any check engine lights or anything. It does have a little miss, roughness or "lope" at neutral, but its not shaking the car apart and nothing screaming to me that there is a vacuum leak, if it is, it must be slight. Are there any common problem areas with vacuum leaks on this sort of engine? . It has 82k, its probably acting like an LS-1 with 82k on the ticker. I've inspected the air cleaner and its ducting and there are no cracks and leaks that I can see.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I replace and check the air filter all of the time. As far as the MAF goes, it looks pretty clean, I did wipe down some areas that arent near the MAF wires. The fuel filter is in the tank on this model isn't it? I was under the impression that it wasn't a serviceable (unless you drop the tank) part??

Fuel filter in under the car, driver side, just in front of the rear axle.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I checked his website hoping there was some dynos and didn't see much.
    Didn't check very good

I need your dyno numbers

22 pages of people and what they DYNO'd with their mods.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Fuel filter in under the car, driver side, just in front of the rear axle.
    Really? I'm going to have to flog my old parts compatriot about that! When I buy a car the first thing I usually do is change the air and fuel filters and pcv valve. I'll have to check out the cost of getting it done ( I have exactly zilcho time to mess with fuel under pressure this semester). Thanks!!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Didn't check very good

I need your dyno numbers

22 pages of people and what they DYNO'd with their mods.
    So I take it the guys with 300-315 hp and 320-ish torque are bone stock or with just an air lid or something? Last I remembered Car Craft dynoed a Firebird Formula LS-1 vintage at around 297 hp. ???

So I take it the guys with 300-315 hp and 320-ish torque are bone stock or with just an air lid or something? Last I remembered Car Craft dynoed a Firebird Formula LS-1 vintage at around 297 hp. ???
    Give or take. Can't compare numbers from all over the country. They will all vary to some degree.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Give or take. Can't compare numbers from all over the country. They will all vary to some degree.
    Thats pretty darn good. Being the hp ratings were from 305-325 from the factory for LS-1's. If memory serves, the usual losses from parasitic drain and driveline losses are usually 15% right? That, in theory, should give an @ the crank hp of 356 or so for an early base model 305 hp LS-1, if my math is right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information